The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Aurora Europa Le

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:13

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Now this is more like it! I bought an Aurora Optima on the strength of other FPN raves about Aurora and could never get past the glitziness of the green and gold; I have a couple of vintage 88s which are lovely but not the same, so finally, the Europa arrives and ahhhh. Looks good, not too overstated, now lets see what all the hoo ha is about!

8/10

Posted Image

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN
I like it. The swirling Black and white is impressive without being over the top; the silver band on the cap depicting a train and representing the industrialisation of Europe is chunky and a contrast to the minimal bling elsewhere on the pen, but works well and looks good. The Blue gem on the top of the cap (a la MYU 90) is a nice touch (it probably represents something too but I didn’t check). I even like the very personal looking (almost hand engraved) LE model on the top of the cap (white on black). IT makes you feel your pen is special even before you start to write.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted or unposted, the look still works. This pen, like other modern Auroras, has the ink view window – how I wish my beloved Omas, or Stipula, or Visconti would do the same on all their pens (yes, I know, duetto, vedo, - but not enough). Natually in this pen, I’ve added Aurora Black ink so the window maintains the theme – which it does…beautifully.

The barrel is all black, and this too works well. The silver accessories all blend in beautifully with the pen.

9/10

Posted Image

WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS
All good. Posted, nib to jewel, about 15.5cm long and 1.5 wide; unposted, lets say 12cm.

9/10

NIB AND PERFORMANCE
Oh THIS is what all the fuss was about!

Posted Image

This 18K white nib with attractive scrolling is an absolute delight to write with. Although it’s a medium (and I’m usually a fine or cursive italic person) this nib is heaven to write with. Not as smooth as the Visconti’s, it adds just a touch of tooth that really involves you in the writing process and makes it a joy. There is a touch of flex here; but not much to speak of.

9/10

Posted Image

FILLING SYSTEM
Piston of course – don’t talk to me about any other. Smooth, effective, good capacity and you can see it working through the ink-view window. Excellent

10/10

COST AND VALUE
The Europa doesn’t seem to be that easy to find and, once again, I have a fellow FPNer to thank. Merci beaucoup, where-ever you are. Good value, for a high quality pen.

8/10

Posted Image

CONCLUSION
The Aurora hype has finally materialised. An attractive pen that is involving and enjoyable to write with; and comfortable to hold and write with all day.

Posted Image

88/100

 0-50 = to be avoided at all costs
 51-60 = if it’s cheap and you don’t really care….
 61-70 = a nice pen with the makings of something better (just don’t spend too much)
 71-80 = A better than average pen with just a few flaws that stop it from being really good
 81-90 = A good pen, a keeper only a few minor places off being great
 91-95 = Now THIS is a pen! If you can get it: keep it, love it, cherish it, and keep it away from the dog
 96-100 = Grail

Edited by youstruckgold, 02 December 2009 - 10:26.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 lowks

lowks

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:22

Thanks! Great review! **Going back to give my auroras a huggies.

#3 gteague

gteague

virtue is its own punishment ~unk

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:23

bellissima! piů bella!

/guy
Magic is an individual action, undertaken because the cosmos is not believed to be benevolent by nature. ~Maya Deren (The Living Gods of Haiti, London, 1953)
Magic is a craft. when we do magic, we do not wish and we do not pray. We rely upon our will and our knowledge and our skill.~Lev Grossman (The Magicians)

#4 armand

armand

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 18:28

I have the Africa LE (I really wanted the Europa but it wasn't available on sale at that time) which is basically the same pen, just different colors. While I didn't ink it yet (more than a year after I bought it) when I posted the cap, the thick metal band on the cap seems to be a little too prominent and with some sharp edges that are exactly where the thumb meets the hand.

Is this bothersome in real life writing?

Edited by armand, 02 December 2009 - 18:28.

"There is a big difference between knowing the path and walking the path"

#5 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2009 - 19:43

I have the Africa LE (I really wanted the Europa but it wasn't available on sale at that time) which is basically the same pen, just different colors. While I didn't ink it yet (more than a year after I bought it) when I posted the cap, the thick metal band on the cap seems to be a little too prominent and with some sharp edges that are exactly where the thumb meets the hand.

Is this bothersome in real life writing?

This must depend on where you usually hold the pen. For me it has no impact at all. The pen is very comfortable in the hand, the band totally unnoticeable and unobtrusive.
The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#6 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:18

Thank you for your nice review and beautiful photos. I like Aurora pens.
They have a kind of warm taste of hand made.

rokurinpapa

#7 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:30

Great photos - especially the one of the cap under "cost and value" and an excellent review with a personal touch. It is a handsome pen!

Edited by dandelion, 05 December 2009 - 09:30.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:38

Aurora nibs are as stiff as a nail :( The nice aesthetic appearance is not enough to compensate an average writing nib.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#9 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,534 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:44

I have an Aurora Afrika, which is identical in most respects to the Europa, except for the color and trim design. It's a very striking pen and one of my absolute favorites. Aurora's nibs are known for their characteristic "road feel" and it's just a great pen to write with.

#10 Alice L

Alice L

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:16

Nicely done review. Thanks!

#11 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:23

Aurora nibs are as stiff as a nail :( The nice aesthetic appearance is not enough to compensate an average writing nib.

Can't say I agree with this. The nib has wonderful feedback and is a joy to write with.Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 16:56

I don't agree with that either; mine are wonderfully pliable.

I have the Aurora Asia fountain pen, as well as a matching "sketching pen" (a giant mechanical pencil on a stand) and looove them!

#13 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 16:59

duplicate

Edited by QM2, 08 January 2010 - 17:00.

#14 jorgerp1

jorgerp1

http://fountainpenpencollector.blogspot.com.es/

• Member - Gold

• 1,242 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 17:00

Nice pen!!!! and nice flowers too.

#15 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2010 - 19:36

Great review, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#16 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2010 - 20:11

Mine is fairly stiff but I have to disagree with "average-writing". My 88's nib is brilliant - perfect, utterly-consistent flow and a feeling of precision unmatched by any other nib in my collection.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#17 buffalowings

buffalowings

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,128 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 20:29

the barrel design is really beautiful, thanks for posting this review
I'm a little hot potato right meow
"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"
I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

#18 rh968

rh968

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:00

I went into the local pen shop earlier today and saw this beauty. I only went into the store for some ink and folders, but I left with an Aurora Europa. An impulse buy, but it's a lovely pen and I especially like the train motif, since my home town (Darlington, England) was the birthplace of passenger railways and I am a bit of a rail enthusiast. It writes beautifully, the window that shows whether the pen is full is a very good idea, but no one has mentioned that there is an ink reservoir which is a brilliant feature. Once the main ink chamber is empty, a turn of the piston knob releases a further supply of ink - the company say that it should be sufficient to write one more page; but they do not specify the size of the page! It's a bit like Parker Quink cartridges - if you give one a tap there should be a further release of ink.

#19 shrinknib

shrinknib

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

• Member - Gold

• 1,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:04

Gday YSG and well done on a tasteful and elegant review.
I hope to try these pens soon to take me away from my Visconti vorasciousness (if that is in fact a word!)!!
:thumbup:
________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.
Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

Sponsored Content

|