Visconti Rembrandt

lovemy51

Visconti Rembrandt’s Review

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/IMG_4991.jpg

Presentation box:

The pen came in a beautiful dark brown leather box (quite a big box), with an off white leather lining inside. The box has a tab on the left side where you pull to open a drawer with a small booklet inside (company profile and pen serial number).

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/IMG_4989.jpg

Appearance and design:

I got the blue resin with all chrome appointments. The pen measures about 5 3/8" capped (6 1/2" posted on the barrel), not a very small pen (medium size). Although not see thru, it’s very pretty with a dark marble effect. The arched clip (not exactly like the Van Gogh, but the typical Visconti clip, I guess) has the name “Visconti” written on the side.

Cap jewel has two V’s inverted with the name Visconti in the middle. There's also a metal jewel on the end of the barrel.

The cap band is stunning. About 3/8”, has the model name Rembrandt engraved along with an ornamental motif (don’t know if it’s Rembrandt’s, it is hard to tell, for me anyways).

The section is chrome, measuring approx. 7/16” in diameter (in the middle). It’s quite comfortable for a metal section. This one surprised me, cos’ I hate this metal shiny sections, but this is an exception. It has a metal thread fitting in the barrel complementing the metal threads on the section. I see this as a good design so the metal on the section doesn't wear the resin in the barrel.

This pen is very comfortable to write with, whether cap posted on the barrel or not. it's well balanced. It posts securely in the back of the barrel by pushing and twist (a small degree) at the same time (i do this to all pens, anyways).

Highlights of the pen:

I love this one: The cap has a magnet that closes the pen automatically. Yes, it pulls the section in as your closing which helps secure the posting of the cap, thus avoiding an accident of dropping the cap (sometimes happening with pens that caps either snap or twist to close). Too bad i didn't take a picture of the cap picking up a paper clip!!!!!

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/IMG_4992.jpg

Filling system:

Cartridge!!!!! This didn’t come with a converter. I think Waterman convs. fit these puppies, so I already fitted one I had laying around (generic). Nothing more to tell about that.

Nib's look and performance:

Stainless Steel firm (no spring). I chose a fine nib. Beautifully engraved with what appears to be a flower of some sort. It looks more like a painting from Van Gogh than Rembrandt!!! Never the less is very nicely done. It also reads: Visconti Firenze “F”. The breather hole is an upside down "new moon".

Very smooth nib for being fine!! (more like a fine-medium) Well, it’s smooth enough, yet, it lets you feel the paper so you have control when writing. I’m not sure if it’s the ink I was using (PR DCSB), but I would say it’s wet enough for my liking.

Cost!!!I paid $117 USD at swisherpens.com . That’s was a super great deal considering how beautiful this pen is and how great it performs. I’ve seen these go for $145 at other sites (no affiliation with Swisher).

Highly recommended for any one who’s looking to buy a GREAT pen that won’t break your bank account.

Hope you enjoy this small review. And please, feel free to add any comments.

PS. Sorry for my terrible photo taking abbilities!!!!

if you'd like to see a better pic, here it is (taken from Colorado Pen Direct):

http://www.coloradopen.com/images/uploads/Rembrandt-Blue-FP.png

Edited by lovemy51

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• rdrum

• Occipital Lobe

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

I have one in black. The cap doesn't post securely at all on mine, even when I push it on pretty hard. It has even flown off and hit the floor while I was writing. Thankfully, no harm done, but I don't post this pen anymore. Aside from that, it's an ok pen -- not great, just ok.

I have one in black. The cap doesn't post securely at all on mine, even when I push it on pretty hard. It has even flown off and hit the floor while I was writing. Thankfully, no harm done, but I don't post this pen anymore. Aside from that, it's an ok pen -- not great, just ok.

you know, if it's not a P51 (or it snaps [one hears the click sound] or screws in the back of the barrel), i don't trust posting any pens any more. nevertheless, mine does post well. i'll report back after a while on this. thanx for the warning.

Thanks for a great review on these pens Peter!

I've got my eye in this color, or the black one!

Frank thumbup.gif

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

tried one but the nib is too rigid :( definitely not for me

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

If I understood correctly, any generic converter will work in these? I assume a threaded converter similar to the Von Gogh is not needed?

I am seriously considering one of these Rembrandt pens. I have a Van Gogh and really like it a bunch. The Rembrandt looks to be a top contender for a nice every day working pen.

Current Favorite Pens: Aurora Talentum, Pelikan Polar Lights and Bexley 10th Anniversary

If I understood correctly, any generic converter will work in these? I assume a threaded converter similar to the Von Gogh is not needed?

I am seriously considering one of these Rembrandt pens. I have a Van Gogh and really like it a bunch. The Rembrandt looks to be a top contender for a nice every day working pen.

hello.

i don't know about any generic converter... but waterman fits. i happened to have a generic that fitted, others did not. go figure!! :hmm1:

• 7 months later...

hello.

i don't know about any generic converter... but waterman fits. i happened to have a generic that fitted, others did not. go figure!! :hmm1:

I just received a Visconti Rembrandt as a gift and it is, like the one reviewed by the OP, blue and absolutely gorgeous! I also have a Waterman Charleston and thought that perhaps my spare converter for that pen might fit the Rembrandt. No dice. I'm not overly concerned abotu this, though, since converters are readliy available and inexpensive.

"You've got to jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down." - Ray Bradbury

Okay, it seems my last post may have been a bit hasty. It would seem that some web-based retailers want me to believe that the standard Waterman converter will fit in my new Visconti Rembrandt, while others do not include Visconti on their "this converter will fit in..." lists.

The converter that I have for my Waterman Charleston did not fit the Visconti, and it was the converter that shipped with the Waterman - so I can only assume that it is the "standard" version. Can anyone tell me what converter will fit (and possibly provide a link to a site to purchase)?

Thanks!

"You've got to jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down." - Ray Bradbury

Okay, it seems my last post may have been a bit hasty. It would seem that some web-based retailers want me to believe that the standard Waterman converter will fit in my new Visconti Rembrandt, while others do not include Visconti on their "this converter will fit in..." lists.

The converter that I have for my Waterman Charleston did not fit the Visconti, and it was the converter that shipped with the Waterman - so I can only assume that it is the "standard" version. Can anyone tell me what converter will fit (and possibly provide a link to a site to purchase)?

Thanks!

ok, this is what i've seen when looked at the coloradopendirect site.

http://www.coloradopen.com/product/Visconti-Rembrandt-Blue-Fountain-Pen/Visconti-Rembrandt

click where it says •Buy Refills Now and it would take you here: http://www.coloradopen.com/category/Visconti_Fountain_Pen_Refills ... the last shown is a waterman converter that fits Visconti -but.... but... i came to realize that it may be refering to other Visconti pens and not necessarily the Rembrandt.

OTOH, standard convs that came with cheap chinese pens -but not all- fit the Rembradnt fine!

I enjoyed your review. I have two Rembrandts, one ivory in medium nib, and one blue like yours in fine nib. The stiff nibs are excellent for quick, hurried, hard volumetric writing like I have to do at work. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking, kind of thing. Very smooth yet rugged and dependable. Doesn't matter if you get a little irked, for some reason, and press maybe a little too hard. A good feeling pen in these kinds of circumstances, and non-tiring. The more I write with them, the better they write!

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Thanks!

http://www.coloradop...conti-Rembrandt

click where it says •Buy Refills Now and it would take you here: http://www.coloradop...ain_Pen_Refills ... the last shown is a waterman converter that fits Visconti -but.... but... i came to realize that it may be refering to other Visconti pens and not necessarily the Rembrandt.

OTOH, standard convs that came with cheap chinese pens -but not all- fit the Rembradnt fine!

Thanks! I have ordered a converter through FleaBay and hope that it works.

• 2 months later...

I just bought this today as my first fountain pen. Walking into the store I was pretty set on the Lamy 2000, having heard nothing but great things. I did ask to see other pens though, and found I really liked this pen a lot. I plan on using it for creative writing (NaNoWriMo should break it in nicely), and like that the cap adds enough weight when posted to alleviate the stress from certain muscles. This variation makes hand cramps much less of an issue. I know this is hardly a review as I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Looking at pictures, I do like the blue better, but they had black in store, so that's the one I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

http://www.coloradop...conti-Rembrandt

click where it says •Buy Refills Now and it would take you here: http://www.coloradop...ain_Pen_Refills ... the last shown is a waterman converter that fits Visconti -but.... but... i came to realize that it may be refering to other Visconti pens and not necessarily the Rembrandt.

Thanks! I have ordered a converter through FleaBay and hope that it works.

Well, it turns out that the converter that I ordered was a no-go as well. What to do? Well, how about go to the store where it came from in the first place and ask them to supply me with the Visconti branded converter that should have come with the pen in the first place (but was missing from the box when I received the pen). I managed to get the proper converter and the Rembrandt has become my daily writer (apologies to my P "51"). The only issue I've experienced with this pen has been a bit of nib creep when using Noodler's Zhivago.