The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Stipula Saturno

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2009 - 13:42

Posted Image

Translation:
FIRST IMPRESSION - Better than expected!
Of course the Stipula Box is a nice beginning; but I was expecting, and the box suggested 'Blue/Black' ebonite, and the pen definitely looks green to me (my preference anyway) and I LOVE the silver accoutrements!
9/10

Posted Image

APPEARANCE AND DESIGN - Well, this was what potentially attracted met to this pen in the first place - and I wasn't disappointed! Again, the silver of the crescent, clip and bands look even better that I was expecting, the ebonite is warm to the touch and of a colour I am very happy with (but hard to capture in pictures).
9/10

Posted Image

WEIGHT AND DIMENSION - This is a lightish pen (ebonite tends to be light), but beautifully balanced when posted (yes, I'm a poster) and also comfortable unposted - although a little short for me as I tend to hold a pen just above the barrel near the section where the cap screws on.
9/10

This one is the closest I can get to the colour

Posted Image

NIB AND PERFORMANCE - Here is where I have leapt into the unexplored (the great unknown?). The nib here is 0.9 mm stub. I haven't written with a stubb before and, although I'm taking a little time to get the hang of it - it's fun! Ink flow is a little drier that I expected (but that could be the ink choice - Sheaffer Skrip); but overall? A definite tick!
7/10

Posted Image

FILLING SYSTEM - Well, this is what this pen is all about; and the crescent filler, crescent fills! A quick couple of squeezes of the crescent, a quick turn of the metal/silver ring to lock the crescent (and stop it from involuntarily squirting out) and you're away! I have the Voyager Millenium Arc (which is a crescent filler too) and I'd have to say that this is the better overall pen (although it's hard to go past the Visconti nib.) This system is very similar to the Parker 51s, just with a more antique feel (and on the outside not under the barrel).
8/10

COST AND VALUE - Bought from an FPNer, I have no complaints here: a good deal!
9/10

CONCLUSION - My Stipula clan is growing exponentially and I'm starting to understand Dierdre's obsession (and developing my own!). A beautiful pen.

Posted Image

51/60 (85/100)

Edited by youstruckgold, 30 November 2009 - 13:51.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 matje

matje

damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2009 - 14:54

+1 on everything you say. I bought an identical Saturno from pens.it a month ago and it was a pleasant first-Stipula experience. The only thing that got me concerned was that from the first filling I had too much ink (Pelikan Blueblack) collected under the nib, on both outsides of the feed/collector, which caused the pen to burp ink blobs in the middle of sentences. Plus that it seemed to me that the pen actually had a lower than expected ink capacity. Well that changed after I cleaned and filled it with a different ink (Herbin's) with maybe 3-4 extra squeezes during filling. Now everything runs smoothly. Me happy Stipula newbie too.

best/m
Power to the peaceful (Michael Franti)

Pouch Partners:
Pilot VP Kasuri (m) & Sailor Red Brown
Pelikan M415 (B) &
Pelikan Black Brown mix

#3 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2009 - 16:53

Splendid review, YSG. :) I like your photographic compositions. And a great choice on the Stipula. Congratulations! :thumbup:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#4 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 00:52

beautifiul review!

#5 Thornton

Thornton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:42

Thanks for the review. I've always loved this pen.
"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Sponsored Content

|