What is your grail vintage waterman?

Pepin

My grail Waterman was the Waterman LeMan Blue Caviar ballpoint pen and and fountain pen. I say "was" since, thanks to Abe Gross (Thank you, Abe!:clap1:), I now own them both!

Lovely!:cloud9: The balance is wonderful and they write like a dream! Their diameter is perfect for writing for hours. The beautiful two-toned nib is smooth and it leaves a wonderul line of ink. Fantastic balance and gorgeous deep blue finish! A total WoW! Waterman does not make them like this any more and that is definitely too bad!

post-33231-127440619356.jpg

post-33231-12744062256.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen-lover

• Vintagepens

• FredRydr

• Pepin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the man 100s, the laureats and the first generation exception

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

_True_ grail (as in, may not exist, probably will never have a chance): One of the pens from the first batch of pens assembled by Waterman himself.

More realistic grail: Very early pen with a horseshoe vent nib.

Regards, greg

drcurious' pen here would do nicely. What an incredible pen!

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• 2 years later...

I recently acquired a Waterman One Hundred Year pen with an amazing nib that flexes from XF to BB. Love it.

Looking for a Waterman Number 7 with pink nib and a Waterman Patrician Moss Agate pen with #8 nib.

Hundred Year Pen, First Year Edition, blue ends, highly flexible, very good condition - and it gets used heavily.

Before that I had thought of some of the Ripple pens, but actually I prefer this body with it's torpedo shape.

I just wonder if there's anything to prevent that some of that infamous crazing will start to show up in time. By now I'm happy that there are no problems. Any (promising) ideas of how to prevent that or slow down the process?

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

Michael,

If you have a first year pen, crazing shouldn't be a big worry, as it is made of acrylic and the notoriously problematic crumbling transparent ends are on the later pens, made of celluloid. Oh, and I'm very jealous--your pen sounds like a real joy to behold and use.

Brett

Michael,

If you have a first year pen, crazing shouldn't be a big worry, as it is made of acrylic and the notoriously problematic crumbling transparent ends are on the later pens, made of celluloid. Oh, and I'm very jealous--your pen sounds like a real joy to behold and use.

Brett

Brett,

that's such a relief to hear these news. It's my only Hundred Years Pen and I have it now for some time, but never found the time to do more research than reading on Richard Binders site, on penspotters and here on FPN - a thorough research has yet to come... So I got a bit of an idea about the models and the history and a little bit about the material. What I had read led me to the conclusion that the Lucite is quite brittle and prone to cracking and crazing. The blue transparent ends of this pen are really in good condition and according to your words I can stop worrying now :-)

I hope the same goes for the body...

And: oh yes, this pen is really joy to use, I have some other vintage Watermans (3V, 52,...), but I would choose that one over them without hesitation. A marvellous highly flexible and very responseive nib (but still capable of writing fast with it) and when the sunrays are shining through the transparent ends - now that's a sight! I like it a lot.

Greetings,

Michael

I want a Bluegreen Ripple 94 and a Rose Ripple 94.

I also wish to have a 94 Rose Ripple ... :puddle:

(I allready have the bluegreen and the Olive one ... :rolleyes: )

Seems the earliest Waterman pens are highly desirable. I agree wholeheartedly.

How about a 420 Moderne overlay over a boldly striped blue ripple?

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 vintage Waterman pens that I use on a daily basis:

1) A wet noodle Red Ripple Waterman 7 with pink nib and pink band. I fill it with Caran d'Ache Saffron ink to write on Clairefontaine 90gsm paper. Really, really stunning.

2) A Waterman 100 Years pen with flex nib that writes from XF to BB. I fill it with Iroshizuku Yama-Budo ink to write also on Clairefontaine paper. The crimson colour of the ink written with flex nib is really stunning.

3) A made in Canada Waterman Patrician Moss Agate pen with big #8 nib that has a bit of flex. I fill it with ST Dupont Royal Blue ink to write on Clairefontaine paper.

I am pretty happy so far. Waiting for a couple of Copperplate books to arrive from the bookstore to practice flex writing.

Also on the hunt to stock up more Caran D'Ache Saffron ink since it is being discontinued. How sad. Not sure how long the DA ink can be kept unused before fading. I heard some of them tend to fade.

Edited by iveyman

• 1926 Red Ripple 52-1/2v wet noodle #2 14k nib
  • 1920 Ideal 52v wet noodle #2 14k nib

My two vintage Waterman's. :thumbup:

Edited by JazzDoc

Mark Polis, MD

"A flourishing style of chirography is nowhere less in place than on a physician's prescription."___1856, Edward Parrish, An Introduction to Practical Pharmacy

Is it too soon to say Serenite? :roflmho:

I'd be happy with the black first-gen one, but I'd really love the wooden one...