What is your grail vintage waterman?

Pepin

True grail(which I can't afford to seek after at the moment)would be a "Bayleaf" set(I normally don't

go after MP's that much,but that pencil is as beautiful as the pen),though I wouldn't mind a Patrician

in any colour(other than black)..............

I also own a silver Ink-Vue that has a wonderful flex nib on it. It's a dream to write with.:cloud9:

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen-lover

• Vintagepens

• FredRydr

• Pepin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Either:

1. 100 Year Pen, first gen and any color; heck, I'd settle for the cap of such a pen.

2. Blue-green or Olive Ripple 54V or 56V. I've a blue-green ripple pencil, and I really love the look of it.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

I wouldn't mind a Patrician in any colour(other than black)..............

I'm waiting for a moss agate Patrician that is undergoing a nib transplant. Poor thing, a new section had to be turned to accommodate my nib choice. Not quite grail, though.

Fred

I'm waiting for a moss agate Patrician that is undergoing a nib transplant. Poor thing, a new section had to be turned to accommodate my nib choice. Not quite grail, though.

Fred

Nothing wrong with that,Fred.............so what's it getting? A OBBBBBB 4810 nib?:D

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Nothing wrong with that, Fred.............so what's it getting? A OBBBBBB 4810 nib?

Ha! Not quite. It's an EF flex from another Patrician. However, Waterman did some custom fitting of sections, feeds and nibs back in the day, and moving a Patrician nib between pens can be more involved than swapping No. 2 nibs. There was a factory original shim in the section of the donor pen, but that section would not fit on the donee pen. So a repro section is being turned to accommodate the nib and pen.

Fred

I'd like to find a wet noodle Waterman at a garage sale. It be nice if it were a #7 pink, but it's the writing experience that' i'm after -- more specifically, the combination of writing experience with affordability and serendipity. I"d rather not have to say something like "No DS this year kids, i decided to get myself a present". I like the hunt, too.

Fred

Fred,

Looks like we are in sync yet again.

Mark

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/evansm92/Fountain%20Pens/WatermanPatrician1.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk48/evansm92/Fountain%20Pens/WatermanPatrician2.jpg

Edited by Diamondback

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

Maybe Don or someone can show off their complete 7-color set?

John

Hi John. Here is a link to my best Waterman 7 - the very rare Black - http://dlpens.smugmug.com/Hobbies/WATERMAN-7s/Waterman-7-Black-003/739263272_kATku-L.jpg

The more common models are the red, green, purple followed by yellow, pink, brown, grey and blue although that is not the order of rarity. See Rob Astyk's fine article on the Waterman 7s somewhere here on FPN. I read it and printed out about a year ago, but have not had time to look for it again. I am actually missing the Brown pen. While at the recent Columbus show I picked up some Waterman 7 nibs but the one I am trying to work with is another of my favorite models - the Blue (stub). Great nib! I am looking for a cap to complete a pen. I also purchased the blue band and white separators which are repros but look great. More later. Don

There are so many choices. Right now, a 558 with a nice flex nib.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes -- if we are not to devalue grailhood, aim high . . . and then aim higher yet!

A true Grail should not only be desirable, but elusive to the point that its very existence should be in doubt.

How about a Snake in platinum over red hard rubber?

Or a #20 safety in Rose Ripple?

They made it in platinum? that was already my grail, but now--whew!

• 4 months later...

My grail appeared to me in a vision (actually in a box of old pencils) at an estate auction last Sunday. I bid after I spied a double jewel blue demi Vacumatic hiding at the bottom of the box, but did not notice the Waterman until I got home. The Waterman has an early #5 nib with a horseshoe shaped slot in the nib as well as a round vent hole. The straight section has two distinct levels with different diameters. The barrel is stamped in one line "WATERMAN'S IDEAL FOUNTAIN PEN N.Y. PAT. FEB. 12. 1884" and there does not appear to be a number stamped into either end. Any information that fellow users can supply would be heartily welcomed.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/drcurious/WaterrmanHorseShoeNib03.jpg

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/drcurious/WaterrmanHorseShoeNib01.jpg

Chris Duffy

Carbondale, IL

Edited by drcurious

:puddle:

Wow. This sort of thing never happens to me at auctions. Big jealous congrats!

Lemme really go for broke by adding a nice red ripple 58 onto my earlier list. :)

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Chris- Nice find!! Holy cow!!

For me, well, let's see, would love a 458 Sheraton (do they exist?) or maybe an overlay in the 2x series. Love those tapercaps!

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Chris,

Is the imprint stamped at the posting end of the pen, around the circumference of the butt end, or is it stamped on the barrel in the middle? The nib seems to be not the first know style of waterman nib, but definately the first couple of years of production.

Regards

George