Losing ebay items

Highbinder

Anyone else hate it?!

I was bidding on a listing (MB 22), had the highest bid right until TEN SECONDS were left and I fumbled and lost it. I'm actually quite peeved now :( Someone hug me, I wanted that blasted pen.

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• macaddicted

• Highbinder

• AltecGreen

Top Posters In This Topic

I just lost a MB 149 in the last 6 seconds... lost by under 1.00$. Would have been a screaming deal as well. Ah well... off to the trade section to see what I can find to comfort myself in this time of loss.

I just lost a MB 149 in the last 6 seconds... lost by under 1.00$. Would have been a screaming deal as well. Ah well... off to the trade section to see what I can find to comfort myself in this time of loss.

No. I'm still not saying anything..... ;)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Doh!

I'm saying nothing......... ;)

Heheh better not have been you *shakes fist*

;)

Ah well, it was going for a good price (under £60!), nevermind eh, still a few more MB auctions to hawk over..

/e: Heres the link incase anyone wants to share my pain heh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370288143472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Edited by Highbinder

Doh!

I'm saying nothing......... ;)

Heheh better not have been you *shakes fist*

No, had I wanted it and been able to afford it, it's unlikely that it would have been me losing it...... ;)

Anyone else hate it?!

I was bidding on a listing (MB 22), had the highest bid right until TEN SECONDS were left and I fumbled and lost it. I'm actually quite peeved now :( Someone hug me, I wanted that blasted pen.

{{{{Highbinder}}}} <---- your hug :mellow:

The best way to avoid that sort of angst is to bid the highest you're willing to pay for the pen, and then you won't feel so bad when someone takes it for what looks like a pittance over your bid. Remember, you have no idea "how high" the highest bidder bid over you; for all you know, it could be $100 more, but no one bid higher than he did so he takes the prize. And when you've bid the most you're willing to pay, and someone else wins the pen, pat yourself on the back that you didn't go above your budgeted amount.

But I know, it's difficult to see something go to someone else right at the end. I know. That's why you get a hug. :)

Use a sniping service.

What a disgraceful and ungentlemanly suggestion! I'm outraged - it's just not British!

(Note, I said I was saying nothing....... ;))

Anyone else hate it?!

The best way to avoid that sort of angst is to bid the highest you're willing to pay for the pen, and then you won't feel so bad when someone takes it for what looks like a pittance over your bid. Remember, you have no idea "how high" the highest bidder bid over you; for all you know, it could be $100 more, but no one bid higher than he did so he takes the prize. And when you've bid the most you're willing to pay, and someone else wins the pen, pat yourself on the back that you didn't go above your budgeted amount.

But I know, it's difficult to see something go to someone else right at the end. I know. That's why you get a hug. :)

I did bid my maximum (it was, infact, exactly the balance of my paypal account LOL). It was more the outrage of seeing my max bid being the leading bid right until the last few seconds. It was almost within reach :(

Use a sniping service.

What a disgraceful and ungentlemanly suggestion! I'm outraged - it's just not British!

(Note, I said I was saying nothing....... ;))

But I'm American.

I did bid my maximum (it was, infact, exactly the balance of my paypal account LOL). It was more the outrage of seeing my max bid being the leading bid right until the last few seconds. It was almost within reach :(

You just need to think positively. You didn't lose, you just saved money.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Anyone else hate it?!

Well, since no one else seem willing I'll stick my head in the lion's mouth.

There are two basic philosophies to eBay bidding:

1. Bid the max you want to pay.

2. Bid at the last moment.

I actually do a bit of both. I have and use JBid for bidding and set it to submit my bid in the last 5 seconds.

Now, before you grab your flamethrowers read on.

I also set it to bid the max I am willing to pay. I've had auctions that I wanted to bid in go past my max price before I bid. I've had auctions that didn't come close to my maximum bid. There is a simple reason I do this: eBay fever.

eBay fever is best described as "I want it and you want it so lets make the seller some money." Two, or more, bidders end up in a bidding war and drive the price well past the point of reason simply because the emotion of the hunt has kicked in. I know because I did just this with several early eBay auction purchases. I've seen it with items that could be purchased from Amazon, buy.com or Newegg for a tiny fraction more than the close price, sometimes less when shipping is figured in. I recently purchased an old HP calculator I desperately wanted. I was willing to pay twice the closing price. Ironically I was the only bidder, but my snipe was for my "willing to pay" amount.

Sniping, love it or hate it, isn't going away. Obviously I am comfortable with how I approach eBay bidding. I set a top amount and let my computer do the work. If I win, great. If I don't win, oh well. But I avoid the tedious bidding wars that can break out, I'm not stuck at the computer hitting refresh in my browser. It works for me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get my Nomex suit.

2. Bid at the last moment.

I'm with you on this one. I haven't used a sniping service since I do ok. I just won a dual Parker 51 aero desk set in marble for about $30 by bidding the max I would pay with about 8 seconds left to go. I got it for about $30 (much less than I would have paid).

It is proxy bidding so if you don't bid the max you would pay then there is a good chance you will lose out. I know the pain of losing the auction for a nice pen or camera but rest well knowing it went for more than I was willing to pay and there will always be another..

I almost always snipe. I do it manually. Sometimes someone has a higher bid and i can live with that. I do get a bit annoyed when there's a glitch and i don't get what would have been a winning bid in. Otherwise, i look at a lost auction as a savings.

Concur. Can't beat proxy bidding, as long as you do no. 1 above.

I almost always snipe. I do it manually. Sometimes someone has a higher bid and i can live with that. I do get a bit annoyed when there's a glitch and i don't get what would have been a winning bid in. Otherwise, i look at a lost auction as a savings.

Manual sniping is good - then one has the opportunity to figure out how badly one wants an item. I don't want to share my payment details with a sniping site.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

At the end of the day, the person willing to pay the most money gets the item. That's pretty much true of all auctions. Bidding near the close just helps to prevent overzealous bidders from going overboard.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Manual sniping is good - then one has the opportunity to figure out how badly one wants an item. I don't want to share my payment details with a sniping site.

I think JBid runs under Java. I have no clue if your info is stored or shared outside of your computer and eBay.