The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot 78G Compared to Pilot Custom 823

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tumbleweedtoo

Tumbleweedtoo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 18:16

With all of the interest recently in the Pilot 78G fountain pen, especially regarding quality and price, I thought I would submit a picture (pdf) comparison between the 78G Broad nib pen and the Pilot Custom 823 Fine nib pen. The 78G contains a Pilot Black Ink cartridge (though I also have the converter). The Custom 823 contains Pilot iroshizuku tsukushi (Brown) ink. Though the Custom 823 pen is more expensive than the 78G pen, I like them both very much, and am particularly pleased with the way the Broad nib on the 78G writes. I carry the 78G pen and only use the Custom 823 pen at my desk. As others have done here, I may order a couple of extra 78G Broad nib pens (I do not need any more F or M nib pens).

As a side comment, I have bought a variety of the cheaper Chinese pens and a variety of Japanese pens. The Japanese pens write beautifully right out of the box with no hassle whatever, no matter what they cost. So, I think I would recommend the Pilot 78G over many other pens for price, quality, and everyday writing.

Hope this helps some as they make pen buying decisions. This is my first attempt at a review. :-)

Sorry about naming the 78G 76G in my pdf attachment, that does not have any effect in the writing comparisons and examples! Thanks to Silvermink for drawing this to my attention! :-)

Edited by Tumbleweedtoo, 25 November 2009 - 22:43.

Sponsored Content

#2 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2009 - 19:04

78G? :) Interesting comparison of two Pilots at very different price points, in any case.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#3 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2009 - 17:04

The 78G nib is quite good on its own, and stellar for the price point. The ratio of cost/value is not proportional as you head up to more expensive models, unfortunately. Although the 823 is not as good a value, I'd stake my reputation on the 823 nib outlasting the 78G nib for a good long time. Both pens are great in their own right. The main attraction to the 78G is that if you lose it or damage it, the cost impact is nominal. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#4 Flourish

Flourish

Flourish

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 17:58

I like the 78G but I LOVE my Custom 823. But you're right, Japanese pens no matter the price tend to be the best writers out of the box.

#5 mgutman

mgutman

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:44

I think the 78G is actually a broad stub nib. They are excellent pens for the $. I use a medium (=US fine)with PR plum ink for annotations. Just replaced the squeeze converter with a Con-50 and so far, so good. It is nice to see the ink remaining and I like the extra weight.

My 823(broad)is an amazing writer in a class of its own.

Interesting comparison....

Sponsored Content

|