Sailor 1911 Realo

chemgeek

Sailor 1911 Realo (M)

First Impressions--The pen comes in a pretty standard box, just the pen, no extra ink or other items.

Appearance and Finish--The rounded, bullet-shaped end caps and thick metal band on the cap are typical of the Sailor 1911 series pens. The banding and sturdy pocket clip with ball end are gold plated. There is a transparent ink window in the barrel just under the attached cap so you can view ink levels easily. The ink window is set off by two thin gold rings. Unmistakably Sailor.

Design/size/weight--This is a smallish pen at 5 5/8" capped. However it is just a shade over 6" long when posted making it comfortable even in large hands. Unposted, it a diminutive 4 3/4". Most folks are probably going to prefer to write with this pen posted. Like it's 1911M cousin, this is a very lightweight pen, despite the piston fill. It weighs in at 21.8 g (about 3/4 oz.) full. Knock off about 1-2 g for empty weight.

Nib design and performance--The medium 21K gold nib is typical Sailor, and is neither firm nor soft, simlar to the 1911M. It's a pretty wet nib in medium, but leaves a line similar in width to a Western fine. Like my 1911M Sailors, my particular pen likes to be held a bit flatter for optimum ink flow and smoothness compared to my natural writing angle. I may have the nib tuned up a bit to match my grip. But it is an excellent nib.

Filling system--Hooray for piston fill! This is the best feature of the pen. Now it holds enough ink to match the flow of the Sailor nib. The piston system works similar to the Pelikan filling system, but the capacity is not as great. Nevertheless, it appears to hold enough for a medium nib to have excellent stamina compared to the seemingly always running-empty 1911M. Somehow, the filling system did not that much extra weight so the pen is still light and maneuverable.

Cost/value--I obtained mine from Swisher for $307. This is not an inexpensive pen, but it is very well made, and has the piston fill that was sorely needed in a Sailor model. Since I do a lot of writing/editing/traveling, I've become a "piston-fill snob." It's almost essential for me to have a pen that does not require frequent refilling.

Overall opinion/conclusion--Highly recommended if you like Sailor pens but hate filling them frequently. I'll probably put my 1911M pens up for adoption.

http://people.colgate.edu/rrowlett/fpn/realo.jpg

Edited by chemgeek

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leicalvr

• greencobra

• rokurinpapa

• MYU

I've had mine for 3 weeks I guess, and I really love this pen. Mine is a F and writes just perfectly, the same as my 2 1911's. My tines were misaligned and I decided to handle it myself rather than send it back. You're right chemgeek, this pen needs to be posted to be comfortable to use. I thought they did a good job with the piston, thinking at first it might be fragile compared to MB or the Delta DV piston. I was wrong. It takes in a bunch of ink too. One last thing, I'm not fond of gold trim except on a 146/149. This has a ton of it but it grows on you. A very classy pen. And if you look around you can get it for ~$265 + shipping. And I didn't mean to hi-jack your review, sorry. Nice job on it, well thought out.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Very nice review. I have a Realo presently winging its way to me from Japan (your posting had me check where it was in transit). I have a 1911 Demonstrator sitting in my pocket as I type this. Just a wonderful pen. Like you, with the pen's already superb nib, I knew the additional ink supply would take it up a notch.

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Thank you for your nice review.The capacity of ink tank is contoversial.But the pen is very classy

and the piston filling system is very solid.I can recommend this pen .

rokurinpapa

Thanks for the review. Nice to get another opinion on the Realo. It is a bit saddening to hear that the ink capacity is not a significant improvement with the piston, especially considering the price bump for it. But at least you do get the convenience of a faster filling.

Personally, I think Sailor needs to learn a little about the magnificent old style bulb filler design that Edison Pen has so successfully reintroduced. That looks like the best of both worlds--super simple mechanism with ample ink supply. :)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I don't know, I still think it holds a considerable amount of ink over the converter 1911. I have no way to measure capacity but mine has been filled going on 4 weeks with no sign of slowing down.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Thanks for the review.

A couple of questions, if I may. How is the size of the pen relative to the 1911M? You mentioned a lesser ink capacity than expected, is it a true piston, or one of those faux ones?

Thanks!

Thanks for the review. Interesting pen and I miss my Sailor 1911 I traded off a few years ago.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

• 4 weeks later...

:cloud9: Hi,

I, too, purchased my Realo from Swisher for $307.

It's a great pen, and I enjoy using it.

I have used several inks in it to-date, including Sailor Jentle Blue (smoothest of the inks used), Noodler's Eel Turquoise (I understand that the Eel inks are considered good lubricating inks for piston fillers), and Pilot's iroshizuku ku-jaku, all of which worked well: But, are there inks best avoided in a piston filler, for example, Noodler's Bay State which is alleged to stain plastic?

Thanks,

Andy

Great review, thanks.

I bought this pen last night at Swisher, also for $307 + their holiday discount (this was at their retail store in Virginia Beach). So far I am impressed. I have had a Sailor before and was very fond of the nib. This pen is likewise a pleasure in the hand. Mine has the medium nib, and the line looks similar to my Pelikan fine pens in terms of width.

Ink capacity: The filling instructions for the pen state that it holds 1 cc of ink. I have no idea if this is more or less than say a Pelikan 800 or any other European converter, but I have high hopes that it will be sufficient.

First impressions: It is a great pen, high quality construction, with a very nice feel. It felt wonderful on the test paper I tried it on at Swisher. Last night I wrote in a Moleskin journal, and found it to be a little scratchy, but that was the result of the paper.

I will post again as I use it more.

Ron

Another week of writing with this beauty and I am very pleased. As the nib adjust to my writing style and grip, it has become a real pleasure. Incredible flow with out any spread or bleed. Silky smooth. Very cool pen.

I am really enjoying the ink level check window. Much easier to use than on my Pelikans. Very happy with the purchase.

• 1 month later...

I just received a Sailor Realo (fine nib), and it's excellent. I received it from Melpens.com (Malaysia).

I originally purchased a Pelikan M800, but didn't like the feel of the pen in my hand and the nib was

scratchy. I exchanged it for the Sailor. A wonderful pen that I've just started using. It's nib is not flexible like

my Namiki and Pilot Falcons, but it's a beautiful, well-balanced and stunning pen. The nib is smooth as butter.

I highly recommend this pen, and Melpens.com was great to do business with.

-paul

I gotta get me one of those :puddle:

Thank you for the review but I do wish you would post more pictures.

Respect to all

I gotta get me one of those puddle.gif

Thank you for the review but I do wish you would post more pictures.

I posted some pictures in my review of 1911 Realo. Please refer to them if you like.

rokurinpapa

Can't wait until next month when I get mine!

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo