The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor 1911 Realo

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 chemgeek

chemgeek

The Curling Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2009 - 16:26

Sailor 1911 Realo (M)

First Impressions--The pen comes in a pretty standard box, just the pen, no extra ink or other items.

Appearance and Finish--The rounded, bullet-shaped end caps and thick metal band on the cap are typical of the Sailor 1911 series pens. The banding and sturdy pocket clip with ball end are gold plated. There is a transparent ink window in the barrel just under the attached cap so you can view ink levels easily. The ink window is set off by two thin gold rings. Unmistakably Sailor.

Design/size/weight--This is a smallish pen at 5 5/8" capped. However it is just a shade over 6" long when posted making it comfortable even in large hands. Unposted, it a diminutive 4 3/4". Most folks are probably going to prefer to write with this pen posted. Like it's 1911M cousin, this is a very lightweight pen, despite the piston fill. It weighs in at 21.8 g (about 3/4 oz.) full. Knock off about 1-2 g for empty weight.

Nib design and performance--The medium 21K gold nib is typical Sailor, and is neither firm nor soft, simlar to the 1911M. It's a pretty wet nib in medium, but leaves a line similar in width to a Western fine. Like my 1911M Sailors, my particular pen likes to be held a bit flatter for optimum ink flow and smoothness compared to my natural writing angle. I may have the nib tuned up a bit to match my grip. But it is an excellent nib.

Filling system--Hooray for piston fill! This is the best feature of the pen. Now it holds enough ink to match the flow of the Sailor nib. The piston system works similar to the Pelikan filling system, but the capacity is not as great. Nevertheless, it appears to hold enough for a medium nib to have excellent stamina compared to the seemingly always running-empty 1911M. Somehow, the filling system did not that much extra weight so the pen is still light and maneuverable.

Cost/value--I obtained mine from Swisher for $307. This is not an inexpensive pen, but it is very well made, and has the piston fill that was sorely needed in a Sailor model. Since I do a lot of writing/editing/traveling, I've become a "piston-fill snob." It's almost essential for me to have a pen that does not require frequent refilling.

Overall opinion/conclusion--Highly recommended if you like Sailor pens but hate filling them frequently. I'll probably put my 1911M pens up for adoption.

Posted Image

Edited by chemgeek, 25 November 2009 - 20:17.

Sponsored Content

#2 chibimie

chibimie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 16:32

Thank you for a thoughtful and very helpful review of a pen few of us seem to own. Can you post photos of your pen?

#3 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 20:17

I've had mine for 3 weeks I guess, and I really love this pen. Mine is a F and writes just perfectly, the same as my 2 1911's. My tines were misaligned and I decided to handle it myself rather than send it back. You're right chemgeek, this pen needs to be posted to be comfortable to use. I thought they did a good job with the piston, thinking at first it might be fragile compared to MB or the Delta DV piston. I was wrong. It takes in a bunch of ink too. One last thing, I'm not fond of gold trim except on a 146/149. This has a ton of it but it grows on you. A very classy pen. And if you look around you can get it for ~$265 + shipping. And I didn't mean to hi-jack your review, sorry. Nice job on it, well thought out.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#4 RHutch

RHutch

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 21:14

Great review I tried one and loved it. Just waiting for my fine nibbed one to show up at my dealers.

#5 PaulK

PaulK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 22:49

Very nice review. I have a Realo presently winging its way to me from Japan (your posting had me check where it was in transit). I have a 1911 Demonstrator sitting in my pocket as I type this. Just a wonderful pen. Like you, with the pen's already superb nib, I knew the additional ink supply would take it up a notch.

Paul
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2009 - 23:11

Thank you for your nice review.The capacity of ink tank is contoversial.But the pen is very classy
and the piston filling system is very solid.I can recommend this pen .

rokurinpapa

#7 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2009 - 17:06

Thanks for the review. Nice to get another opinion on the Realo. It is a bit saddening to hear that the ink capacity is not a significant improvement with the piston, especially considering the price bump for it. But at least you do get the convenience of a faster filling.

Personally, I think Sailor needs to learn a little about the magnificent old style bulb filler design that Edison Pen has so successfully reintroduced. That looks like the best of both worlds--super simple mechanism with ample ink supply. :)

Edited by MYU, 30 November 2009 - 17:08.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#8 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,653 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 17:22

I don't know, I still think it holds a considerable amount of ink over the converter 1911. I have no way to measure capacity but mine has been filled going on 4 weeks with no sign of slowing down.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#9 Prise

Prise

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:12

Thanks for the review.

A couple of questions, if I may. How is the size of the pen relative to the 1911M? You mentioned a lesser ink capacity than expected, is it a true piston, or one of those faux ones?

Thanks!

#10 Bill Smith

Bill Smith

Parker and Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the west end of Greater Toronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:29

Thanks for the review. Interesting pen and I miss my Sailor 1911 I traded off a few years ago.
"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

#11 TechWriter

TechWriter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 19:33

:cloud9: Hi,

I, too, purchased my Realo from Swisher for $307.

It's a great pen, and I enjoy using it.

I have used several inks in it to-date, including Sailor Jentle Blue (smoothest of the inks used), Noodler's Eel Turquoise (I understand that the Eel inks are considered good lubricating inks for piston fillers), and Pilot's iroshizuku ku-jaku, all of which worked well: But, are there inks best avoided in a piston filler, for example, Noodler's Bay State which is alleged to stain plastic?

Thanks,
Andy

#12 leicalvr

leicalvr

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 16:29

Great review, thanks.

I bought this pen last night at Swisher, also for $307 + their holiday discount (this was at their retail store in Virginia Beach). So far I am impressed. I have had a Sailor before and was very fond of the nib. This pen is likewise a pleasure in the hand. Mine has the medium nib, and the line looks similar to my Pelikan fine pens in terms of width.

Ink capacity: The filling instructions for the pen state that it holds 1 cc of ink. I have no idea if this is more or less than say a Pelikan 800 or any other European converter, but I have high hopes that it will be sufficient.

First impressions: It is a great pen, high quality construction, with a very nice feel. It felt wonderful on the test paper I tried it on at Swisher. Last night I wrote in a Moleskin journal, and found it to be a little scratchy, but that was the result of the paper.

I will post again as I use it more.

Ron

#13 leicalvr

leicalvr

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:27

Another week of writing with this beauty and I am very pleased. As the nib adjust to my writing style and grip, it has become a real pleasure. Incredible flow with out any spread or bleed. Silky smooth. Very cool pen.

I am really enjoying the ink level check window. Much easier to use than on my Pelikans. Very happy with the purchase.

#14 PaulNakroshis

PaulNakroshis

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:28

I just received a Sailor Realo (fine nib), and it's excellent. I received it from Melpens.com (Malaysia).
I originally purchased a Pelikan M800, but didn't like the feel of the pen in my hand and the nib was
scratchy. I exchanged it for the Sailor. A wonderful pen that I've just started using. It's nib is not flexible like
my Namiki and Pilot Falcons, but it's a beautiful, well-balanced and stunning pen. The nib is smooth as butter.

I highly recommend this pen, and Melpens.com was great to do business with.

-paul

#15 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:20

Nice review, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#16 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2010 - 13:57

I gotta get me one of those :puddle:

Thank you for the review but I do wish you would post more pictures.
Respect to all

#17 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2010 - 15:16

I gotta get me one of those Posted Image

Thank you for the review but I do wish you would post more pictures.

I posted some pictures in my review of 1911 Realo. Please refer to them if you like.

rokurinpapa

#18 Nikhil

Nikhil

I Am and Adopt-A-Pen Service, Send Your Pens!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 17:27

Can't wait until next month when I get mine!
A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!
What I want:[/color]
Aurora Talentum
Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10
Lamy 2000
Omas Paragon
Sailor Realo

Sponsored Content

|