Montblanc 12, 22, and 32

Highbinder

Hey there,

Can someone clarify the differences between these mb models? I understand the 1x is higher quality than the 2x, but in what way? Materials used? Build quality? Nib differences?

Cheers!

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Highbinder

• soapytwist

• humsin

• inkyfingr

From memory

12 has:

Push on cap

18K 'butterfly' nib

Bishop's mitre cap band

Amber/brown, faceted ink window

Gold accent band on piston knob end

22 has:

Push on cap

14/18K 'butterfly' nib (someone can clarify this!)

Double cap bands (looks a little like Classic/Generation pens)

32 has:

Screw-on cap

14K 'intarsia' nib (later ones I think have shaped nibs to the 1x and 2x but are more open)

Single cap band on lip

Blue ink window that doubles as the threads for the cap to screw onto

I've had a 12 and a 32 and they wrote as well as each other. The 12 just feels better-made in the hand though.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

I have the 32 and the nib is fantastic -- smooth and springy almost to the point of flex. Do the butterfly nibs of the 12s also have the soft springy feel?

Hey there,

Can someone clarify the differences between these mb models? I understand the 1x is higher quality than the 2x, but in what way? Materials used? Build quality? Nib differences?

Cheers!

I can see little or no quality difference between a 12 and 22, 14 and 24, 121 and 221. The differences seem to be cosmetic.

The 1x and 12x series have a single broad band at the cap lip that peaks front and back like a mountain. The 12 and 121 have two gold band, a wider one at the cap lip and a narrow one slightly above.

The 1x and 12x series have a gold band at the base of the pen body that is missing on the 2x and 22x models.

The 12x and 22x series have a gold crown to the cap while the 1x and 2x series have a black cap crown.

http://www.fototime.com/4CF515866A3FB32/standard.jpg

From left to right: 74, 12, 21, 121, 221, 200

edited to add pen identification

Edited by jar

My Website

From memory

12 has:

Push on cap

18K 'butterfly' nib

Bishop's mitre cap band

Gold accent band on piston knob end

22 has:

Push on cap

14/18K 'butterfly' nib (someone can clarify this!)

Double cap bands (looks a little like Classic/Generation pens)

32 has:

Screw-on cap

14K 'intarsia' nib (later ones I think have shaped nibs to the 1x and 2x but are more open)

Single cap band on lip

Blue ink window that doubles as the threads for the cap to screw onto

I've had a 12 and a 32 and they wrote as well as each other. The 12 just feels better-made in the hand though.

Thats an interesting breakdown. Didn't realise the 12 and 22 had the same (?) nibs, and were both pushon caps! The reason I posted this thread was because I've failed repeatedly trying to google info on these models, it doesn't bring up anything on them at all! The hits for montblanc usually refer to the mountain (occasionally the pen) and 12 or 22 usually gets hits for dates rather than the model..

Also I believe some 22's have a blue window and others amber. I've seen both on ebay.

I have the 32 and the nib is fantastic -- smooth and springy almost to the point of flex. Do the butterfly nibs of the 12s also have the soft springy feel?

Thats good to know :) What nib size do you have? Whats the capacity for ink like?

Hey there,

Cheers!

I can see little or no quality difference between a 12 and 22, 14 and 24, 121 and 221. The differences seem to be cosmetic.

The 1x and 12x series have a single broad band at the cap lip that peaks front and back like a mountain. The 12 and 121 have two gold band, a wider one at the cap lip and a narrow one slightly above.

The 1x and 12x series have a gold band at the base of the pen body that is missing on the 2x and 22x models.

The 12x and 22x series have a gold crown to the cap while the 1x and 2x series have a black cap crown.

http://www.fototime.com/4CF515866A3FB32/standard.jpg

From left to right: 74, 12, 21, 121, 221, 200

edited to add pen identification

jar, honestly, does that pic follow you around mate :D

Edited by Highbinder

Thats an interesting breakdown. Didn't realise the 12 and 22 had the same (?) nibs, and were both pushon caps! The reason I posted this thread was because I've failed repeatedly trying to google info on these models, it doesn't bring up anything on them at all! The hits for montblanc usually refer to the mountain (occasionally the pen) and 12 or 22 usually gets hits for dates rather than the model..

Also I believe some 22's have a blue window and others amber. I've seen both on ebay.

You're right - I was typing idly at work. The 22 has a blue ink window, but designed the same way as the 1x pens. Go HERE for good close up photos of the three models (the link is for the 12 but the others are also listed).

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

I have the 12 and 32, and had a 22. All of these pens can be excellent, and I think most of the differences have been covered. What I would like to mention is that there are larger versions of each of these models.

The 14, 34, and 24, repectively, are very nice pens with a little more substance than these smaller versions. Once again all of these pens can be great, but check out these other models at the same site as mentioned above. Select from the column on the left side of the page. You will see the 12, 14, 22, 32, 34 and others. Very educational site.

http://www.fountainpen.de/old-60-34.htm

I use the 34 for my everyday writer, and it goes everywhere I go, in my trusty TimeTraveler Notebook.

Regards

Greg

You're right - I was typing idly at work. The 22 has a blue ink window, but designed the same way as the 1x pens. Go HERE for good close up photos of the three models (the link is for the 12 but the others are also listed).

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now!

I have the 12 and 32, and had a 22. All of these pens can be excellent, and I think most of the differences have been covered. What I would like to mention is that there are larger versions of each of these models.

The 14, 34, and 24, repectively, are very nice pens with a little more substance than these smaller versions. Once again all of these pens can be great, but check out these other models at the same site as mentioned above. Select from the column on the left side of the page. You will see the 12, 14, 22, 32, 34 and others. Very educational site.

I use the 34 for my everyday writer, and it goes everywhere I go, in my trusty TimeTraveler Notebook.

Regards

Greg

Wowee, a larger version of the pen? Now that IS interesting. You have successfully impulsed me into wanting one of them!

http://www.fountainpen.de/pics/old/60er/14/open.jpg

Yummy!

• 3 years later...

Actually the resin used in the hood is different. If you shine it at a light, the resin on the hood of the 22 is grey and not pinkish-red like the 12.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now!

Regards

Greg

Wowee, a larger version of the pen? Now that IS interesting. You have successfully impulsed me into wanting one of them!

http://www.fountainpen.de/pics/old/60er/14/open.jpg

Yummy!

I have a 24 currently inked It has some flex and the nib is an OBB. It is a great writer.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Hello

There are a few other differences between these models than have been mentioned.

First, there are several variants of the 32. There is a model where the section is cut away and a non winged nib is used. There is also a version, which I presume is an earlier version, in which the section, feed, etc. is identical to the 22. I have one of these and was surprised to find it. To be clear this does not have the intarsia nib (which I think of as crinkled, because of the folds), but is otherwise like a 32.

Second, the way the feed and nib relate to each other is quite different in the 3x intarsia models compared to the higher models. In the 3x models the intarsia nib slots into the section and the feed slots into a different part of the section. So the section, in effect, creates the enclosure that holds the nib and feed. The fit is, in my opinion, somewhat slack since there is no direct tension forcing the nib on to the feed. On the 2x and 1x models, the design is more like the pens from the 50s and there is a section insert or collar (it looks like a small torch holder) into which the section and nib are inserted. It is a very tight fit and the collar is then held in the section using an o-ring.

Third, because the blue window also provides the threads for the cap on the 3x, I have seen quite a few with slight stress fracturing where the window meets the barrel.

Fourth, the 14 and 24 are slightly longer than the 34.

Notwithstanding all of the foregoing, the 3x pens are fantastic pens and the intarsia nibs are superb for how small they are. I use my 32s and 34 all the time and I think they are incredible daily writers. However, I do think there is a difference between the fit and finish of the 3x pens and the 2x/1x pens that is more than just some extra cap rings. Also, the flex I get out of the non-intarsia nibs is better and easier when writing.

Someone compared these pens to the subsequent generation of similar pens, the 121 and the 221 (and I suppose the several variants of these). There are significant differences between generations. The feed on the x2x models is of a completely different and quite unusual design to that used in the xx models. The way that the screw shaft in the piston assembly is attached to the binde cap is of a weaker design in the x2x models. The x2x nibs have less flex. There were also two major variants in the section design of the x2x pens. In the early ones, the nib slid onto the section and the feed slid into the section underneath it. In the later ones, the nib slides onto the feed and the whole assembly slides into the section. The visible difference in the profiles of the sections is marked. In my opinion, the earlier ones look better.

Aesthetically, I think the x2x series of pens are fantastic. They are a perfect example of late 60s design. The pens, in my experience are reliable, easy to service and write well. The size is about right, being between the median between the two sizes of the previous generation.

However, I am no expert on these pens. My observations are based on careful examination and disassembly of around 20 examples.

David.

Being completely new and ignorant to much of the MB line, I have officially been intrigued, and have just bid on a 32 from fleabay. Hopefully it will be a solid daily writer that I can place with my notebook/journal/private handwritten blog/diary that I carry everyday.

"I'm in, as the simplicity, unfussy black, and timeless design just give me what I want. Style is here in spades." - Steve7 spoken about MB

Well 1x and 2x pens have a different resin hood as I mentioned. As well, the former has an 18k nib while the latter a 14k one. That being said, I didn't even notice the difference until I disassembled the pens.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

What's the derivation of "intarsia"?

The only time I'd heard the word before, was to do with marquetry - inlaid wood patterns. (We once had a table, the legs were described as having intarsia work)

I wondered if it was to do with the way that the hidden part of the nib is shaped to fit into the section, leaving the top of the nib flush with the section?

Just guessing.

Enjoy!