buying from a Thailand Ebay Seller

jniforat

Hey everyone:

Alright. We all know how this goes:

I'm looking for a particular pen on ebay, the going price seems to be around $100 for a great deal and there are a few ebay sellers from Thailand, transactions between 150-176 each.

Bid is super low--around 2 cents to $5-$6. Obviously, the seller has like 9 different listings of the pen with all of the same pictures for each pen. shipping is $18.

is it worth it just to find out? ...chances are i'll be out $18-$24.

has anyone tried this before and actually got what they bought?

suggestions?

thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flodoc

• jniforat

• Flourish

• cbbp

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried the overseas eBay sellers recommended here on the FPN or that have come to post that they are new fountain pen sellers on eBay and I have had very good luck with them so far. However I haven't gotten up the nerve to just try an overseas seller on eBay unless I have some sort of recommendation or interaction with them here on the FPN first. But if as you say you would only be out $25 at most and it is concerning a pen(s) that you are interested in maybe it's a gable worth taking.

Edited by Flourish

Are most of the transactions/feedbacks in the past month? When did the seller register (2-3 months ago?)

Beware or be prepared for trouble. The seller might disappear a few weeks from now. See the Market watch, there are a few threads about these sellers.

"Obviously, the seller has like 9 different listings of the pen with all of the same pictures for each pen. shipping is $18." == Very Bad sign.

For any Ebay seller, if the rating is less than 99% be wary.

Look at all of the Sellers SALES ratings. Ignore any buyer ratings.

Have similar items been sold?

Are the comments varied?

KNOW the product.

Ask questions.

Look for pictures of the exact pen being sold.

ah yes.

registered in the last 2-3 months, not many seller ratings, and no communication...haha

similar items sold too...

ah yes.

registered in the last 2-3 months, not many seller ratings, and no communication...haha

similar items sold too...

I have had nothing but good luck with all my Asian purchases, some of which were amazing deals.

For me, seller ratings are ESSENTIAL, both the number of them and the percentage.

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

It's a sketchy situation. Many fraudulent pen sellers appear from Thailand. You have to see a selling track record that appears legitimate, with comments made by people with solid backgrounds of purchasing items on eBay successfully. Also, remember that many Thai sellers will employ clever photographic techniques to hide issues. Good luck.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

It's a sketchy situation. Many fraudulent pen sellers appear from Thailand. You have to see a selling track record that appears legitimate, with comments made by people with solid backgrounds of purchasing items on eBay successfully. Also, remember that many Thai sellers will employ clever photographic techniques to hide issues. Good luck.

Last month I won an ebay auction from a Thai seller. Almost immediately after I payed through Paypal, the seller appeared as no longer being a member of ebay. I was fortunate and the money was credited back to my Paypal account after I lodged a dispute complaint. This took over 30 days to resolve. I won't be buying from any Thai sellers on ebay from now on.

Last month I won an ebay auction from a Thai seller. Almost immediately after I payed through Paypal, the seller appeared as no longer being a member of ebay. I was fortunate and the money was credited back to my Paypal account after I lodged a dispute complaint. This took over 30 days to resolve. I won't be buying from any Thai sellers on ebay from now on.