The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor KOP (King Of Pen) vs Sailor 1911 full size

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2009 - 16:02

I've made a comparison a while back between MB 149 and MB 146 and by the feedback I got people enjoyed it and it helped them to decide what pen to buy.

The KOP and the full size 1911 are close to these pens and so here is a comparison between these 2 pens too.

The KOP in this review is the black ebonite version which is more expensive then the professional gear model.
Probably the PG would be more appropriate for the review but I use what I have.

Posted Image

The KOP is a BIG pen!!! As I wrote in the review I've made on this pen.
I mean its a really big pen and has virtually no trim.
It looks like a big black torpedo and pens like that has something very classy about them with their clean look.
The section of this pen is fat, the nib is big. Sailor didn't try to give this pen a duel personality the size motif is very strong here.

The 1911 is not small but when put next to its bigger sibling it suddenly looks tiny. I had to put the torpedo a side and do a reset to my brain to see the 1911 for what it really is a full size pen.
Clean cigar design, gold trim with a big cap ring right at the caps lips.
The resin is and over all quality is very good.

The KOP is begging you to hold it, the ebonite body is so smooth to the touch that I can't stop holding it in my hands, it is warm to the touch even if the pen was not fondled and that's one of the nice features of ebonit pens, overall quality is fantastic.
As good as the 1911 is this pen is one level above it on this department.

While writing the pens feel very different.
The fat section of the KOP is something I need to get used to.
I like slimmer sections and thus the KOP will never be a natural writing companion for me.
For its size the KOP is light and very well balanced.

The 1911 to me is much more natural to hold. Its slimmer section feels very comfortable and doesn't need any time to adjust to.
It is obviously light and also very well balanced.

Both pens are CC fillers but if you want today you can buy the 1911 with a piston filler which would be my choice if I would to buy a 1911 from a store.
Posted Image
The KOP's nib dwarfs the 1911's, it is almost glass smooth and is very rigid.
Even though it has only little feedback I find this pen hard to put down. The nib on this pen is addictive.
I just want to keep writing with it and feel that perfect ink trail flowing through the feed. No doubt the KOP writing experience is special and unique and the pen truly deserve the reputation it so rightful earned.

So what chance does the 1911 has to top that ?

Well it does and in a big way!!!
The nib on the 1911 is amazing, it is just as smooth as the KOP's nib is but it comes with very nice feedback and surprising amount of springiness to it.
The smooth flow of the nib, added flex and wonderful feedback puts it one level over the KOP nib in my eyes.
Posted Image
Conclusion

So which one wins ?

I will divide this to 2 parts.
There is a clear winner in this comparison and that's the 1911.
Yes you read right the 1911.
It feels more natural in the hand, is lighter in weight and the nib is better.
Add the much cheaper price and the KOP is left in the dust BUT............

To me pens are more then just a writing tool, it is a passion and as good as the 1911 is it doesn't make me drool, their is nothing going on with its design.
It looks like a 146 but without the snowflake, just another Masterpiece replica.
The KOP on the other hands looks and feels like a very special pen.
It looks like you can take it to a submarine and use it as a torpedo to blow up poor unexpecting ships.
This pen makes me drool, makes me smile and doesn't let me stop writing with it.

So for those who want one of the best writer money can buy with an outstanding nib then go with the 1911 but if you want something special, unique with a warm welcoming body and you are willing to pay the extra cash then the KOP is for you.
I know what I chose, the KOP is my personal favorite.
Respect to all

Sponsored Content

#2 Inka

Inka

Beyond Reason!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2009 - 16:41

Thank you very much for this comparison!
I found myself clinging to every word written, got a nice visualization in my minds' eye while looking at your pictures and reading your descriptions.
I'm finding I'd still like one of each someday, for the reasons you've mentioned.
I'd probably carry the 1911 as a daily-use pen, while I'd more probably keep the K.O.P. at home and use it for letter writing and just general enjoyment.
I've never owned, nor so much as even held, a real Ebonite or HR pen of any kind and have always wanted to, the black is intriguing yet I've had a fondness for the Black/Red version for some time now.
Despite the larger nib being less flexible, I tent to love the large nibs like the one on my Plumpster that's almost stiff as a nail and the one on my Rotring LE that has a bit of semi-flex to it, they just feel right.
Thanks again, this really made my day a little better, being able to visualize what it might be like to own either pen and even better seeing them side-by-side like this, I've been admiring them bot for some time but much better in a side-by-side!!!
“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.
They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.
There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [Scott]; 5 October, 2009

#3 Signum1

Signum1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2009 - 16:42

Great review, goodguy. Thanks! I've enjoyed reading the comparison of the KOP and the 1911. Certainly a wonderful way to begin the day. :)
Posted Image

#4 Rogue Puppy

Rogue Puppy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 18:58

Many thanks for the great review.

#5 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 22:59

Do you think Sailor will make a piston fill KOP?? I Love the design of the KOP just want such a large nib to have more ink than a CC can hold!!
www.stevelightart.com

#6 encre

encre

Precious resin is people.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2009 - 00:47

Awesome comparison, the section shot is really interesting and really brings home the message that the KOP is a BIG pen. ;)

#7 cowboyjack

cowboyjack

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:25

Thank you for a very helpful review. I have an older 1911, but now that it comes with a piston filler... I feel it calling me. Too bad the KOP isn't a piston filler. How is the comparative ink capacity of the two in your view?

#8 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,653 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:09

That KOP is a beast. Sometimes a pen can be too big but I still hope to own one. Thanks for the review.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#9 sumgaikid

sumgaikid

Don't mess with the kitteh......

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:44

The KOP is a pen I wouldn't mind owning,especially in that dark purple I've seen
on John Mottishaw's website..................

John
Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

#10 Jaeger

Jaeger

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:14

Thank you for this very interesting comparison!
Seems like two very interesting MB 149 competitors.
How would you compare them with a MB quality wise?
I have never seen these two in the flesh so I wonder if you could post a picture with them side by side with a MB 149 as reference.
Is the 1911 available in silver trim also?

Best,

Rob.
Yard-O-Led Viceroy Grand Victorian

#11 wrath186

wrath186

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:56

Great review. My only problem now is I have to have both!
Posted Image

#12 LWB

LWB

Always looking for my next Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 15:58

Great Review! Enjoyed it!

I have the 1911 red version, with a fine nib. Sailors' fine nib is closer to everyone else's extra fine. A great pen with a nib that I needed/wanted for my work. I have tried the KOP twice at my favorate pen shop. I thought for sure it has a piston filler. I have not purchased the KOP yet I have have only had the 1911 a month now. Ya...I have to spread out my purchases like the rest of us.

Your reaction to the KOP was similar to mine with the 'wow' factor. I found the marble ebonite does more for me simply because I have never seen a pen like it. The only thing close to that unique pattern of vulcanized rubber is the old five pin bowling balls (the ones we were all told were melted down from old car batteries). If you are smiling then you are the same age as me.

Thanks again.

Edited by LWB, 24 November 2009 - 15:59.

A Fine Pen, a fine watch and new shoes to "boot"...ahhhh

#13 Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh

NACHOOOOOO!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:47

Amir..now that is a terrific review!!!!
"The truth shall set you free..." John 8:32
"When in doubt, tell the truth.." Mark Twain

#14 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• 1,886 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:31

Reading your review, I kept thinking, "This guy would love a Pelikan 1000. It's got the great big nib AND flex, not to mention the piston feed. So, I'm curious how do you stack up your MB149 with the two Sailors?

#15 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:44

I'm kinda amazed you have these two when you didn't have a 149. :)
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#16 blopplop

blopplop

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,203 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:53

That KOP is a beast. Sometimes a pen can be too big but I still hope to own one. Thanks for the review.

I compared a KOP to my Danitrio Densho at the DC pen show. They're the exact same size. Not unreasonable at all.

Dave
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

Posted Image

#17 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:33

Do you think Sailor will make a piston fill KOP?? I Love the design of the KOP just want such a large nib to have more ink than a CC can hold!!

Dont know if Sailor will ever make another KOP with a piston (except the Realo they made in the past as a LE) but my guess is probably yes.

How is the comparative ink capacity of the two in your view?

I think its probably about the same.

Thank you for this very interesting comparison!
Seems like two very interesting MB 149 competitors.
How would you compare them with a MB quality wise?
I have never seen these two in the flesh so I wonder if you could post a picture with them side by side with a MB 149 as reference.
Is the 1911 available in silver trim also?

Best,

Rob.

The quality of the pen is excellent so I'd say its roughly the same quality to a MB.
I plan to do a comparison between my soon to arrive MB 149 so I am sure all your answer and many other people will be answered there including lots of pictures too of course :)

Amir..now that is a terrific review!!!!

Thanks doc, that really means a lot to me comming from you :)

Reading your review, I kept thinking, "This guy would love a Pelikan 1000. It's got the great big nib AND flex, not to mention the piston feed. So, I'm curious how do you stack up your MB149 with the two Sailors?

I know, I really must get me an M1000 someday.

I'm kinda amazed you have these two when you didn't have a 149. :)

:)
Respect to all

#18 rokurinpapa

rokurinpapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2009 - 15:05

I have Profit Realo(1911 piston filler) and 95th Realo(limited KOP piston filler). I agree with you.
KOP has something special and it is a lifelong partner.

rokurinpapa

#19 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2009 - 21:55

I have Profit Realo(1911 piston filler) and 95th Realo(limited KOP piston filler). I agree with you.
KOP has something special and it is a lifelong partner.

rokurinpapa

I might get in the future the piston filled 1911
Respect to all

#20 encre

encre

Precious resin is people.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2009 - 00:32

I cant wait for that 149 comparison!