• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bull Winkle

• MYU

• ayhc

• Cheapogit

After using my M90 for almost 11 months now, I have come up with some conclusions:

I've noticed with my M90 is the stainless steel wears down faster than the MYU 701. There is a plastic inner cap that rubs against the stainless steel, creating circular rub marks on the barrel and section. Besides, when you post the cap on the end of the barrel, the cap likes to spin around a bit, creating more wear.

One thing I can suggest that if Pilot would create another one, they should smooth down the inner cap, or make one in a smaller length. It's not really necessary for a pen like this. The ring holds the cap on when posted or not. I feel the stainless steel is actually of a lesser material quality than a MYU 701. I recommend that Pilot use higher quality stainless steel if they plan on making another MYU-type pen as for, say a Murex reissue, for example. Pilot is known for better quality.

I recommend when writing; be light when you write with it, as with a Pilot Capless. The tines can bend out of place and make it scratchy. If you think light, and write lightly.

Despite my critique, it has a good balance while writing, and I think for hobbyists, it can also be a wonderful user serviceable pen, if someone would come out with tools to work on it.

Regardless, it's still a great pen to write with, and a good pen with collector's value.

Thanks for the great review.

Shamouti

I now have a trio of Pilots, VP, 78g,and now the m90.

I've just discovered the M90 (been away from FPN for a while), I really like the look of it! I'd be happy to know how you compare the M90 nib to the VP.

Kind regards,

I now have a trio of Pilots, VP, 78g,and now the m90.

I've just discovered the M90 (been away from FPN for a while), I really like the look of it! I'd be happy to know how you compare the M90 nib to the VP.

Kind regards,

There is nothing similar between the M90 and the VP. There is a little give to the VP nib and none with the M90. I enjoy both got the medium nib on the m90 and anything smaller and I would have to sell the pen. Medium is really a fine or even maybe a little smaller. on the wetness scale out of 1-10 I would say that it is maybe a 5 or 6.

Lamy 27 OM,Lamy 99 M,Lamy 68 B,Lamy 2000 EF

Pilot MYU 90 M,Pilot VP Raden M,Pilot Custom 74 M,Pilot Blue Decimo B

Pelikan 205 Blue Demo B,Pelikan 215 Lozenge W 14K two tone M

Rotring 600 1st gen OB

Delta Dolce Vita Piston M

I just finished using my M90 and have put it away. I have a "Fine" nib and I found it to be rather dry writer, so I could not use a light hand, alas. I have not found that the nib is at all fragile, but I will watch out for that. In any case, I will take it to a nibmeister and see if I can get it to be a little wetter - at least the ink (Noodler's Legal Lapis) lasted a real long time because of the fineness of the nib!

And yes, very different from a VP in just about all ways, including a totally different nib (though I guess a relatively small converter too).

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Erick, if your pen is writing dry you should consider the ink you are using. I'm using Pilot ink in mine (Iroshizuku) and it works brilliantly. In fact, I find the flow in my fine nibbed M90 to be one of the best.

As for the quality of the stainless steel, I'm surprised to hear of Shamouti's complaints. I do find the metal to suggest being a little softer than the original MYU701, but not significantly. This of course does lead to a slightly better nib performance because there's a little more cushion. But the cap liner should help reduce the introduction of scratches, not help increase them. I find with my old MYU701, the metal against metal causes significant surface scratches over time. You can dispense with them by rubbing the pen with a little micromesh of sufficient grain (to avoid polishing, but instead maintain the brushed effect).

Remember, you will get a patina of scratches as you use the M90. This is just the fate of anything made of brushed stainless steel that experiences rubbing against anything (be it metal, plastic, wood, etc). Although my M90 has some very fine surface scratches, they show up only in moderate lighting at the proper angles. Otherwise, you'd never notice them. I consider the M90 one of the best pens I own. :)

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I agree that the M90 is an ever so slightly dry writer. I had Private Reserve in it, and was disappointed - Herbin and Iroshizuku, however, work like a charm.

There's *no* commonality between a VP and an M90, other than the manufacturer and that both are nice pens. They feel different in the hand (the M90 is slimmer), the nib feels differently (although both are excellent).....and the M90 actually catches peoples attention a *lot* more than does the VPs or even a "regular looking" FP.

The only right answer when choosing between M90 and VP is....both.

I agree that the M90 is an ever so slightly dry writer. I had Private Reserve in it, and was disappointed - Herbin and Iroshizuku, however, work like a charm.

There's *no* commonality between a VP and an M90, other than the manufacturer and that both are nice pens. They feel different in the hand (the M90 is slimmer), the nib feels differently (although both are excellent).....and the M90 actually catches peoples attention a *lot* more than does the VPs or even a "regular looking" FP.

The only right answer when choosing between M90 and VP is....both.

I'm using Private Reserve DC supershow blue and it is really agreeing with that ink, maybe cause I have the medium nib and the flow is pretty decent. I wouldn't call it a "wet" writer, but it is definitely not dry

Lamy 27 OM,Lamy 99 M,Lamy 68 B,Lamy 2000 EF

Pilot MYU 90 M,Pilot VP Raden M,Pilot Custom 74 M,Pilot Blue Decimo B

Pelikan 205 Blue Demo B,Pelikan 215 Lozenge W 14K two tone M

Rotring 600 1st gen OB

Delta Dolce Vita Piston M

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had my M90 for just about a week, and I have to say that the pen is built very solidly. The cap posted is on there as as solid as it is capped, and while the supplied Pilot black ink resulted in a rather dry writer, Iroshizuku inks have made it about average wetness, and much smoother. Would I buy a few more as back ups? sure... but i think my bank account would cry.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

• 1 month later...

I've owned my M90 a few months now and I love it. It's my favourite pen, out of all the Pilot pens I own (VP, 78G, V-Pen). It can be a bit on the dry side depending on the ink used (at the mo I have FPN Starry Night Blue in it) but it that is OK. I've noticed some micro-scratches on the barrel where the cap goes on, I guess this happens during the act of putting the cap on as the edge of the cap scratches the barrel. But that is part of the package of owning and using a brushed stainless steel pen.

I do wish Pilot will release this pen as a regular pen in its line-up and not just a limited edition.

If you can, get one of these pens; you will not regret it.