No Converters Included in New Cross Pens

thoddomas

Including a $4 converter with a $100 pen is a 4% direct hit to your bottom line.

Not exactly. The retail price of the converter is $4.00. Dealers pay $2.00. What do you think Cross pays?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• ballboy

• rsx

• Dace

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone advise me which converter I need for an Aventura (purchased at Staples this summer)? My initial cartridge ran dry this morning and I wanted to load the pen with Majestic Blue. When I went to Amazon, they show two Cross converters but no info as to which works with which pens.

Appreciate the help.

Sarah

By the way, the Aventura (my only Cross and one of my first fountain pens) is a really nice pen - writes very well.

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

I think you need the orange one, as the green converter is for use in the Townsend only.

But perhaps somebody more informed can confirm?

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)

Can someone advise me which converter I need for an Aventura (purchased at Staples this summer)? My initial cartridge ran dry this morning and I wanted to load the pen with Majestic Blue. When I went to Amazon, they show two Cross converters but no info as to which works with which pens.

Appreciate the help.

Sarah

By the way, the Aventura (my only Cross and one of my first fountain pens) is a really nice pen - writes very well.

You need the screw in type like the one pictured below. See how the front has threads? It could be green and it could be orange (I have received both colors from Cross and they were both the screw in type). You cant rely on the color.

http://www.cross.com/Images/Products/Zoom/8030_zoom.jpg

Appreciate the help.

Sarah

The Aventura is indeed a very nice pen. Remember that you can refill and reuse a cartridge rather than buying a converter. I do it all the time with all brands of cartridges.

Dr. Scrawl

They could include a certificate for a free converter from a Cross retailer, redeemable in person or online. Offering it this way would encourage users to get a nice bottle of ink with their fancy new converter, increasing high margin ink sales. As it stands now, Cross is slitting its own throat to save a quarter. Even the Pen & Ink Sketch pens come with cartridges AND a converter AND a pen wrap. The first thing I did when I got that converter was go out and get the no-shellac India Ink that goes with the pen. BAM, it was that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not even realise until finding this forum yesterday that I should have received a convertor when I was bought my chrome ATX as a gift in Dec 03. I recently (2 weeks ago) asked my local Cross dealer to order me one. I'm quite pleased to report that they are giving it to me FREE! It may well be the charm bracelet I'm also ordering for my wife, it may well be they recognise me as a frequent customer (I've bought a couple of things since XMas alone in there) or it may well be that having told them I got the pen from them, they've realised I should have received one in the first place! Either way, really looking forward to trying new inks with the convertor when I get it.

"Go on doing with your pen what in other times was done with the sword" - Thomas Jefferson, 1796.

Current lineup in play:

PELIKAN 400NN (OB) & (F) M600 (M), AURORA 88 (M), CROSS ATX (M) TOWNSEND (M), OSMIROID 75 (M), TWSBI 530 (F),

• 4 weeks later...

This sounds like a marketing move to promote their cartridge inks. For people new to fountain pens, if a converter is not provided with the pen, they may likely just continue buying cartridges from Cross. Good or bad, if you are trying to increase the sales of your cartridge inks, it would make sense not to include a converter I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a Cross Affinity from penfountain.com for £45, which included both a converter and 2 small cartridges. Another great thing about it, was that they did next day delivery free!! Great Service! It's very rare to find quick delivery!

"A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety." Ansel Adams

Poor excuse, if a Lamy Safari comes with a converter so can a more expensive FP from Cross.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Poor excuse, if a Lamy Safari comes with a converter so can a more expensive FP from Cross.

My Lamy Safari came only with a single cartridge, no converter. As far as I have seen, they all come that way.

Dr. Scrawl

I bought a Townsend set on sale, and was PO'ed I had to go back to town, to buy a converter.

The first thing wrong with a Cross is the "Where the hell do I find a cartridge????" Now they complicate matters....

Book keepers rule the world. It is easy to prove they have saved $0.02, and they won't fund the study that shows by saving $0.02, it cost's $2.00.

Has any one a complain to the Cross Boss link? We need to tell him we are cross at Cross.

I do not prefer cartridges.

It don't matter none no more. The Boss of Cross will be gone with his bonus as the ship sinks...it don't take much in the narrow market of Fountain Pens to sink a ship, that ran aground on a reef of cheap....no converter, for a class pen is too cheap....where are they going to cheap next?

A cheaper feed?

As to the guy who complained about getting the Cross ball point pens...in the late 50's and 60's it was the Upper Class ball point pen. It was sharp. It was for middle class Adults, not normal children; for spoiled rich kids only...rich being relative.

I almost bought one in 1970, but got mugged by a Parker 75 set.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 5 weeks later...

My Lamy Safari came only with a single cartridge, no converter. As far as I have seen, they all come that way.

+1. When the hell have Lamy Safari's ever come with a converter? And they use those stupid proprietry cartridges as well. (Mind you, so do Cross.)

That said, when I emailed Cross to ask about this silly knockoff Century I'd acquired, they were good enough to send me both of the models of converter they currently make gratis. Very pleasant to deal with, and a touch that decided me on getting another Cross sometime soon.

+1. When the hell have Lamy Safari's ever come with a converter? And they use those stupid proprietry cartridges as well. (Mind you, so do Cross.)

That said, when I emailed Cross to ask about this silly knockoff Century I'd acquired, they were good enough to send me both of the models of converter they currently make gratis. Very pleasant to deal with, and a touch that decided me on getting another Cross sometime soon.

When I bought my Lamy Safari on Ebay about 3 months ago it came with 3 black cartridges and a converter. Maybe because it was a pink pen?? Not sure or maybe it was my fabulous persona :ltcapd: :roflmho: :roflmho:

When I received my Cross in Champagne White from Ebay it also came with a converter and when I received my Basalt Black ATX (used) it came with a spare nib assembly but no converter - I have had a pretty sweet run lately :D

Edited by Twoodi

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Lamy Safari fountain pens do not come with converters either. At least not the two I purchased recently at my local brick and mortar shop here in Omaha. The sad part was that the retailer did not have any in stock at all so I ended up getting them online through Amazon of all places. Since they were only $5 apiece i got a couple of extra ones. I also purchased a Faber Castell school pen from the same shop and that did not come with a converter either. Nor do the Officina mini pens currently for sale. The only converter I've found that fits them is the Yafa mini syringe style converter. Pen manufacturers need to be more responsive to the market if they want to keep their business.

I did recently buy a Cross Verve that had probably been sitting at my local store for a while, and it did come with a converter. It is a nice pen and I plan to hang onto it. It is probably the last Cross pen I will ever buy.

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Fair enough. I obviously lack your charm.

:thumbup:

Or luck might be a better word for it :D

I'm in a constant state of cat-like readiness!!!

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other" George Elliot

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Including a $4 converter with a $100 pen is a 4% direct hit to your bottom line.

Not exactly. The retail price of the converter is $4.00. Dealers pay $2.00. What do you think Cross pays?

Actual cost-of-merchandise (only) to Cross for the convertor is 20 cents--fact.