New Pen Fan in Austin, Texas

Ringtop

Hi Folks,

I've been interested in fountain pens for really only a few short weeks, but I have a general love of early 20th century objects. I got myself a Parker 45, and started writing letters with it as soon as I could find some Parker ink cartridges. It's kind of a boring writer, with a medium nib.

I've fallen in love with the design of the old Parker Lady Duofold pens from the 1920s and 1930s with the little brass rings on the caps, thus my name. I don't like humungous pens so much for my hand, which is convenient for my pocket book, as the smaller pens seem to go a bit cheaper than the Duofold Seniors.

I made rule that I should write a few letters with each pen before dashing out and buying a new one. I have written a few people with my boring Parker 45, but then I won a red Parker Lady Duofold (restored) on ebay, and yesterday I found an Esterbrook purse pen (also restored, or so the seller told me) at a collectibles show here in town. I was very happy to find the Esterbrook (in turquoise/aqua no less!) as I'd been trying to get one on ebay and did not touch the seller's reserve.

On Monday I plan to order some bottled ink and a blotter to absorb all of my messy mistakes in filling these new-to-me writing instruments. Oh, and you know. Maybe just one more pen.

I've been reading bits and pieces of this board for a few weeks, and you all seem like nice folks. I look forward to learning more and posting about this new hobby of mine.

Ringtop

"You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve."

-- Jane Austen, letter from December 24 1798

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ringtop

• KCat

• amh210

• rosey

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks,

I've been interested in fountain pens for really only a few short weeks, but I have a general love of early 20th century objects.  I got myself a Parker 45, and started writing letters with it as soon as I could find some Parker ink cartridges.  It's kind of a boring writer, with a medium nib.

I've fallen in love with the design of the old Parker Lady Duofold pens from the 1920s and 1930s with the little brass rings on the caps, thus my name.  I don't like humungous pens so much for my hand, which is convenient for my pocket book, as the smaller pens seem to go a bit cheaper than the Duofold Seniors. 

I made rule that I should write a few letters with each pen before dashing out and buying a new one.  I have written a few people with my boring Parker 45, but then I won a red Parker Lady Duofold (restored) on ebay, and yesterday I found an Esterbrook purse pen (also restored, or so the seller told me) at a collectibles show here in town.  I was very happy to find the Esterbrook (in turquoise/aqua no less!) as I'd been trying to get one on ebay and did not touch the seller's reserve.

On Monday I plan to order some bottled ink and a blotter to absorb all of my messy mistakes in filling these new-to-me writing instruments.  Oh, and you know.  Maybe just one more pen.

I've been reading bits and pieces of this board for a few weeks, and you all seem like nice folks.  I look forward to learning more and posting about this new hobby of mine.

Ringtop

Welcome! Bring your pens to our playground. We would love to see them!

You may know this already, and perhaps I am misled by your comment.

The "blotter" is primarily used for drying ink that has been written on paper, not for cleaning up a mess made by filling a pen. Not that you couldn't use it for that, but if you are nervous about catastrophic ink spillage, I suggest you fill pens over or in the sink. I did that for 6 weeks when I started filling pens from bottles and I didn't spill a drop in the sink. It wasn't until I thought I was an "expert" and started filling ink at my desk that I clumsily upset the open bottle and had an ink catastrophe.

Frankly, a blotter would have been no use. It took a whole roll of paper towels and several wet sponges to clean the mess!

Most fun I'd ever had at my desk :sick:

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Thanks for the story, Andy. That's just the sort of incident I fear. I work at my kitchen table, which is an old yellow dinette...wouldn't go well with black ink at all.

I wasn't thinking of a rocker blotter, but rather a big old fashioned desk blotter, which I imagine would be the ideal place to tip over a bottle of ink. (Really, black asphalt is the only perfect place)

"You deserve a longer letter than this; but it is my unhappy fate seldom to treat people so well as they deserve."

Thanks for the story, Andy. That's just the sort of incident I fear. I work at my kitchen table, which is an old yellow dinette...wouldn't go well with black ink at all.

I wasn't thinking of a rocker blotter, but rather a big old fashioned desk blotter, which I imagine would be the ideal place to tip over a bottle of ink. (Really, black asphalt is the only perfect place)

Actually, if you tip over the ink bottle on the blotter you will ruin it and it will stay damp (with that much ink) and transfer ink to whatever it touches until it dries.

The idea of the desk blotter was to catch small drips and even to blot the finished writing by turning it upside down on the blotter.

Better to spill in the sink! Amazingly, FP ink does clean off most surfaces that aren't porous (paper, fabric).

SWMBO has banished me to the bathroom sink, though.

A

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

i keep absorbant pads on hand at all times. Those things that pet supply stores call "piddle pads". Get some at your local pharmacy. Relatively cheap and one pad will last a long time and retain a lot of fluid. Always have one on the desk when I'm working on a nib or mixing inks.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thanks Andy, KCat and Philm for the helpful replies and beautiful photos!

I hope to take a picture soon of my 2 hopelessly inoperative pens, and my 2 working ones. And the 2 other working ones I should be getting this week. I'm really learning a lot from reading all of your posts, and various fountain pen centered websites. I'm glad to see that there are lots of people out there that repair and refurbish pens, as I do not want to be responsible for destroying any of these old beauties myself.

Only 22 minutes until Pendemonium opens, and I can order ink!

Ringtop

Welcome, Ringtop!

I like your Jane Austen quote. She is one of my favorite authors.

Viva paper towels are the best companions for fountain pens. They are super thirsty! I have one on hand every time I fill a pen. From time to time I stack about four towels and then cut them in 8 pieces - giving me a bunch of little 3 in. x 5 in. pads. I keep a stack of these at my desk and in my brief case for small misphaps.

Enjoy FPN - there's a lot of good information here.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Hello and welcome to FPN! Yup, definitely sounds like you've got the FP bug, and quite a nasty case it seems. Enjoy the place, and rest assured, there is NO cure. See you around.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Welcome Ringtop

ou should try and make the Dallas Pen Show, September 29 & 30th.

check out www:dallaspenshow.com

It will be fuuuuuunnnnn.

Robert

Welcome Ringtop

ou should try and make the Dallas Pen Show, September 29 & 30th.

check out www:dallaspenshow.com

It will be fuuuuuunnnnn.

Robert

Welcome!

Before you go to the pen show, you might want to read up on them. I think it's Richard Binder who has the great articles on how to survive your first pen show (richardspens.com, and even if it's not there, he's got other great articles). It can be overwhelming; be prepared to hyperventilate, as you see so many gorgeous pens, all calling you seductively...

Robert and Velma,

I do very much want to attend the Dallas Pen Show; It's very close to my father-in-law's house, so I would even have a place to stay. I'm a bit of a chicken about driving on the Dallas freeways (75 mph, bumper to bumper, hurry, you're in the wrong lane! Eeek!) so I'm trying to convert someone to go with me. I should really just get over it and go ahead and drive.

I'll definitely check out that article; it sounds funny.

And, Judybug, yes Jane Austen is wonderfully witty. I think I've only read Pride and Predjudice, but I'm interested in seeing a book of her collected letters. There are some quotes from some of those here: lettersPemberly.com

No clue if that link is going to work.

Thanks again, everybody.

Ringtop

Hi Ringtop and Welcome to FPN!

I, too, am a Jane Austen fan. :D I was just on that same Jane Austen site the other day and found it very interesting. I did not know she had a collection of letters until I happened on that site.

I hope you enjoy this forum and find others to be of help to you in your new hobby.

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

Welcome fellow Austinite!!! Just in case, there are a few places in town you can get your ink cartridges and ink bottles. These are good people and are always willing to help you so don't be shy. Since we are in the same city let me know if there's anything I can do. Enjoy!!!

Come on up for the show. I don't know why you're afraid of Dallas traffic. That mess down there in Austin isn't fun either. Austin is just going to get worse and worse as it grows more. As for the pens they are great and the people here at FPN are a helpful sharing bunch.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Hello Ringtop and welcome aboard! I have to admit I like that Mother-of-Pearl design you have very much. Someday, I am going to have buy a Parker Duofold with that design. :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

I'm overwhelmed by your kind welcome, people.

Mike--you're probably right about Dallas traffic not being so terribly worse than Austin's. I'll just have to woman-up and put the pedal to the metal, I suppose. If, of course, I happen to have any pen money laying around in September. Still, I'd rather make someone crazier than me do the driving.

Oh, and hey Scorpio--Where do you buy your bottled ink in Austin? I'm pretty much set for the moment, but I'm still curious. The Paper Place is vile for ink--no black Quink, even? An outrage.

My mother sent me 1 oz. bottles of Pelikan ink in turquoise, bright green, and red. (why oh why red, mom?) Then I have black Quink from Pendemonium and 2 oz of Pelikan violet ink which is going to last me an eternity. I think I could write 4 letters a day for a year. Maybe more.

Mannenhitsu--That mother of pearl Parker Duofold wasn't mine, but I'm sure to get one someday! (I think it was Philm's photo) I only have a jade green one and an orange, both 1920s models I believe.

Rosey--That's cool that we stumbled across the same Austen site. I'd love to see her letters in her original hand.

I got to see some letters from the 1940s that a friend had today. They were written by her aunt to her mother...in violet ink! So nice.

Ringtop

Mike--you're probably right about Dallas traffic not being so terribly worse than Austin's. I'll just have to woman-up and put the pedal to the metal, I suppose. If, of course, I happen to have any pen money laying around in September. Still, I'd rather make someone crazier than me do the driving.

HAH! Drive through Houston on any given day then I'll take ya'll seriously about Dallas and Austin traffic! :)

I think I neglected to officially welcome you. So... uh.. Welcome!

K :meow:

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room