Jinhao X750 Review

Skribb

@magicspeller,no need to feel embarrassed - there are worse things than not knowing how to use a cartridge! Have edited your query in my reply, though, just for good measure!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• TSherbs

• magicspeller

• vzilla

I love my 3 X450s, so I'm hoping that the couple of X750s I have on order will be just as good. One thing for sure--you can't beat the price!

Well, maybe you can, but I doubt you'd get as good quality at this price point :-).

"In the end, only kindness matters."

• 4 weeks later...

I call the X750 "my Jinhao War Club". I expect that you will enjoy very much using yours. If you apply enough pressure, you can force the steel nib to flex, with pleasing results on paper. Soon, thereafter, you will discover that you have "sprung" the nib. Be nice to your "War Club".

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My longstanding "interest" in fountain pens turned into an obsession 6 months ago, and the wide array of colors and cheap price points of the x750 and x450 Jinhaos on eBay are largely to blame! I have about 10 of them now, and with 2 exceptions they wrote wonderfully right out of the package. For the 2 that gave me trouble, I swapped feeds and all is well.

I find them to be very comfortable and dependable writers without tinkering, but I also like how easy they are to disassemble, swap nibs, try other #6 nibs such as Knox or Nemoxine ($6-$8 from www.xfountainpens.com), or Goulet (haven't tried them yet). I've given a half dozen away to friends and family and find them to be excellent "intro" pens and daily writers. The nibs are a juicy wet medium, and since I write very small I like to swap them out for fine or extra fine. Overall, a great way to get inky fingers and build confidence to dive in deeper...

Najeeb

My longstanding "interest" in fountain pens turned into an obsession 6 months ago, and the wide array of colors and cheap price points of the x750 and x450 Jinhaos on eBay are largely to blame! I have about 10 of them now, and with 2 exceptions they wrote wonderfully right out of the package. For the 2 that gave me trouble, I swapped feeds and all is well.

I find them to be very comfortable and dependable writers without tinkering, but I also like how easy they are to disassemble, swap nibs, try other #6 nibs such as Knox or Nemoxine ($6-$8 from www.xfountainpens.com), or Goulet (haven't tried them yet). I've given a half dozen away to friends and family and find them to be excellent "intro" pens and daily writers. The nibs are a juicy wet medium, and since I write very small I like to swap them out for fine or extra fine. Overall, a great way to get inky fingers and build confidence to dive in deeper...

true all that!

Can someone tell me how big this pen is compared to the x450? I was looking for the next size down from the 450.

ETA: I see from further investigation that the 450, 750 and 500 are similar in size. Any suggestions for a slightly narrower version?

The x750 and x450 are similar in diameter, but the x450 is cigar-shaped, while the x750 is more cylindrical. The Jinhao 500 is only slightly thinner. The Jinhao x250 is probably the next size down. I has the same nib and feed as the Jinhao 500.

Good hunting.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

all my JH seem to write well.. the newer ones in the 18k plated nibs surprisingly well...

I need to look at a 601.... my last uber JH shipped from Hong Kong for under 4$ seriously? thats crazy and great both.. as long as the quality holds up.... my first Boar was a disaster though (bleep) pen ...

thanks for the review

• 4 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of these pens. I just had my fourth arrive in the mail. i use mine as my traveling workhorses. Thanks to the cost, I don't feel bad about a drop or a scratch on them, and yet the quality of the pens are reliable enough to use all the time. They are also beautiful, though can feel heavy. I highly recommend trying one out, but be careful, if you like them they begin to multiply!

Thanks to the cost, I don't feel bad about a drop or a scratch on them,

Interesting you should say that. I bought an X750 on Amazon for $5.67, shipping included, which I thought was a great deal. But then I found an X450 on eBay for 99 cents with free shipping! I bought two of them, and after just a couple of weeks, last night I dropped one, cap removed, into a metal sink. Now it's quite scratchy and the nib doesn't line up with the feed properly. I was quite irritated, and my first reaction was to look for a replacement nib -- about $10, as I recall. And then I thought, "Wait, what am I doing?" I paid less than a dollar for this; I'll just order a new one.... :lol:

Interesting you should say that. I bought an X750 on Amazon for $5.67, shipping included, which I thought was a great deal. But then I found an X450 on eBay for 99 cents with free shipping! I bought two of them, and after just a couple of weeks, last night I dropped one, cap removed, into a metal sink. Now it's quite scratchy and the nib doesn't line up with the feed properly. I was quite irritated, and my first reaction was to look for a replacement nib -- about $10, as I recall. And then I thought, "Wait, what am I doing?" I paid less than a dollar for this; I'll just order a new one.... :lol:

Thanks for the peek into your thought process. It's the logical thing to do and emblematic of consumerist culture.

James

I got a 750 as well as a 159 yesterday.

They share the same 18kgp nib, but there is a great deal of differrnce. The 159 nib is much smoother but is drier, maybe some adjustment is needed. I actually flushed the 159 first. Not the 750. The 750 nib doesnt havevthat smooth finish but it is much wetter. I paid $3 for the 750 and 5

$5 for the 159 shipped and it is a fair enough deal. Expect a lot of manufacturing variation at this price point.

I gave both today to my brother to get his feet wet (and fingers inked) with fountains pens.

He immideately liked the free(ier) writing of that 750 better.

I ordered a bunch of cheap chineese pens a few weeks ago out of curiosity and now they are arriving. The best nib was of a medium $1.25 599 that came with a cracked section (a replacement is on the way!). The worst is of a hooded extra fine 599 which was outrageosly priced at $5.50

Edited by Katzer

Thanks for the peek into your thought process. It's the logical thing to do and emblematic of consumerist culture.

Yes, the consumerist culture. :D Definitely.

Actually I skipped a step in my thought process. My first thought was, "I wonder if I can fix this." Unfortunately, the immediate answer was, "No, I can't."

I really am environmentally conscious and don't plan to throw the pen away, hopeful that some day I'll make it through the newbie phase enough to know what I'm doing, and maybe be able to restore the nib. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just received a couple of X750s from China for $3 each delivered. I flushed one with soapy water and filled it with Waterman Florida Blue ink. The pen writes a smooth line with perfect flow, easily comparable to a $150 pen. No nib adjustment needed. The workmanship on the pen is terrific, no idea on the durability of the pen cap or nib. I will use it at school along with my Lamy Al Star to grade papers. A great starter pen.

• 1 year later...
I got a "Bülow" X750 from ... jeez, I forget where, on clearance for $5, with the black laquer finish. In all respects save some engraving on the nib and cap band, it's identitcal. It wrote kind of wet from the start, and no issues come to mind. The finish has a few small scratches by now, cos I never really was at all concerned about it in the first place. I had no trouble swapping Nemosine 0.8mm and 0.6mm stubs into it, but it's gone back to its medium nib. It's one of my penitential pens, that I use for Bad Black Moccasin during the penitential seasons of Lent and Advent. I do not fear to leave it full of BBM because I can knock it down to parts and scrub them with a toothbrush, should I feel the need. My wife let some BBM dry out in an Ivory Darkness Nib Creaper, and I haven't gotten it all out yet. I know the Creaper is supposed to be easy to completely knock down, but I'm a bit chicken when it comes to her pens.

There are real differences between the X750, X450, and 159. The X750 and 159 have round sections; the X450 has three ribbed facets on its section. According to Goulet, the X750 weighs in at 36g, the X450 at 42g, and the 159 at 50g. But they all use the same converters, nibs and feed.