Parker 45

Dan the man

Hi there,

I have started to purchase more and more 45's, trying to get the whole colour range. Has anyone ever had their nibs customized on a 45, I would really like some line variation out of my 45 nibs? Great working pen :lol:

Daniel

"Sweating is the bodies way of weeping with desire," he said. "Five more cry baby, five more", she said.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan the man

• *david*

• Dan Carmell

• FLZapped

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually found one with a Right Hand Oblique, nice writer. Stiff nib though.

Still, I love it!! And initially thought I'd hate it. BUt as you say, it gives that classic fountain pen look to one's writing.

-Bruce

I actually found one with a Right Hand Oblique, nice writer. Stiff nib though.

Still, I love it!! And initially thought I'd hate it. BUt as you say, it gives that classic fountain pen look to one's writing.

-Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I'll just have to be on the look out I guess, happy to hear that they are available.

Daniel

"Sweating is the bodies way of weeping with desire," he said. "Five more cry baby, five more", she said.

The 45's that I've seen had quite a large ball of iridium on the tip. That makes me think that customization (to a stub for instance) would be possible, since there appears to be something there to work with.

I have customized 45s; I recently sold one with a 1.0-mm custom stub. I have a good stock of 45 nibs and can customize one for you without having to see your pen.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Stubs and obliques for the 45 aren't too hard to find, both in steel and 14K, but they are never all that cheap. Susan Wirth usually has a good stock of them, at $30 or a bit more. Work with her at a pen show or if you call or email her, be specific about what you want.

If you have patience, watch on ebay for either a nib alone or a 45 being sold with a specialty nib. For about the same price, you can get both pen and nib! However, for optimal results, you are probably better off getting exactly what you want from someone like Richard Binder--but where's the treasure hunt fun in that? He makes it too simple!

best, Dan

p.s. I'll post a writing sample and nib photo of my latest accidental eBay find--a great great stub--later this afternoon, stay tuned to this thread!

Stubs and obliques for the 45 aren't too hard to find, both in steel and 14K, but they are never all that cheap.  Susan Wirth usually has a good stock of them, at $30 or a bit more.  Work with her at a pen show or if you call or email her, be specific about what you want.

If you have patience, watch on ebay for either a nib alone or a 45 being sold with a specialty nib.  For about the same price, you can get both pen and nib!  However, for optimal results, you are probably better off getting exactly what you want from someone like Richard Binder--but where's the treasure hunt fun in that?  He makes it too simple!

best, Dan

p.s. I'll post a writing sample and nib photo of my latest accidental eBay find--a great great stub--later this afternoon, stay tuned to this thread!

Dan, nice to here from you again, hope all is well. Looking forward to your post. BTW, really enjoying the medium nib you sent me for my 45.

Richard, am looking for a good line variation for a fine nib that I am going to get soon. Really don't know the difference between stub and oblique 1mm?, but I like the pronounced line variation I have seen on some of the posts. I don't mind hunting around on e bay and such, however am also tempted to ask you to put your magic touch to work, everybody here speaks so highly of your skills. If you wish to advise me regarding cost of customization, please PM me.

Best regards form a rocket stricken country :ph34r:

Daniel

Oblique means the tip is slanted in the way the pen touches the paper. Stub means the tip has the point filed down and the corners smoothed so that it writes a wide smooth line. A stub generally has some line variation, but not usually as extreme as an italic or calligraphy nib.

Oblique means the tip is slanted in the way the pen touches the paper. Stub means the tip has the point filed down and the corners smoothed so that it writes a wide smooth line. A stub generally has some line variation, but not usually as extreme as an italic or calligraphy nib.

Thanks David, will look out for an italic.

Daniel

If you don't find one, you can perhaps have a M or B nib modified that way.

I may end up doing just that, I have wanted to customize my first nib for a long time now. Will ask Richard Binder about that. Maybe have a fine modified?

Take care

Daniel

Forgot to take the photos yesterday, but here are a couple shots with very poor color--if anyone's interested, I can try again this afternoon when I'm home from the beach and the light is better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/pr45b.jpg

As you can see, this is a Parker 45 stub nib. One of the better ones I've tried--out of a small sample of 6 or 7 so far. This is not a custom grind, but a factory stub off a U.S. made Parker from the 1960s or early 1970s. Really nice line variation, with a 4:1 or so difference between horizontal and vertical strokes, which is a lot, considering how rounded the corners are and how easy it is to use. The section is the dark blue color, BTW.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/dcarmell/pr45c.jpg

Yes, is this is not your dad's Parker 45! This is a Paul Rossi custom pen, with a sterling clip. The body is a nice marbled acryic with cap and barrel ends of solid blue, in one of the pens few styling nods to the 45. Big pen, nice to hold. Like all Rossi pens, well made, with a bit of fun at the heart of it--this time it's the conceit of building an OS pen around the humble 45. And that's why I persuaded my friend Elizabeth to sell it to me!

Daniel, I hope things calm down quickly and do not escalate further. No one should have to live their life under such a threat on a daily basis. I feel for all the people of Israel, as well as the innocents on the other side, even those misled into hatred by their leaders.

best, Dan

Daniel, I hope things calm down quickly and do not escalate further.  No one should have to live their life under such a threat on a daily basis.  I feel for all the people of Israel, as well as the innocents on the other side, even those misled into hatred by their leaders.

best, Dan

Thanks for the encouragement Dan ;)

I like the stub you posted a picture of, very nice. Strange, if you recall, I was dissapointed at first with the 45, then we exchanged nibs, my eef for one of your mediums, and now I am a fan of this reliable and very smooth writing work horse. Please keep me in mind for that stub, or a similar stub with pronounced line variation, I like the way it writes, will probably contact you soon on the subject when I'm in the mood :ph34r:

Take care, hope you had a great day at the beach.

Daniel