Brassing Adds Character to the Pear Tree Pen Company

James P

The Pear Tree Pen Company is pleased to announce that it has retained the services of Ryan Roossinck to assume the day-to-day operations of the successful online retailer. Roossinck is known among fountain pen and ink enthusiasts for his popular internet blog, Brassing Adds Character, where he reviews writing instruments and accessories such as pens, pads, and inks. He is also known for his role as a moderator on the Fountain Pen Network, the largest online community of fountain pen and ink lovers on the internet.

Pen collector James Partridge founded the Pear Tree Pen Company in 2006 as a part-time home-based business. Following the introduction of the Fountain Pen Ink Sampler later that year, business began to boom leading the fledgling operation to seek larger quarters. Pear Tree Pens moved, literally, from the kitchen table to the basement, and shortly thereafter opened a larger retail and order-processing facility just north of downtown Ann Arbor. Despite the tough economic times, the Pear Tree Pen Company continued to prosper, and even hired several staff members to help ship packages to thousands of customers around the world.

Unfortunately, splitting his time between his full-time career as a corporate attorney and managing the burgeoning online establishment began to take its toll on Partridge. “I realized that it’s impossible for me to do it all. I can’t excel in my legal career, grow the Pear Tree Pen Company, and be the husband and father that I want to be. Something had to give." Partridge began to explore selling the business, and even considered simply shutting its doors.

Partridge soon had a few offers on the table, but ultimately found the best option lay closer at hand, in Roossinck, a friend and fellow pen collector. “One of his best attributes may well be his talent for ‘reading the minds’ of our customers. Several times already, Ryan has helped me choose new products that soon became extraordinarily popular. He possesses tremendous knowledge and expertise, and his enthusiasm for the pens, inks and papers we offer is second to none. Add to that his dedication to outstanding customer service and it became clear to me that Ryan would be an asset to the Pear Tree Pen Company – and the pen community.”

Ryan said, “James and I hit it off right away; one of the things I really enjoy most about James is his creativity, and his ability to trendspot. We’ve had a lot of great conversations over the past several years that will undoubtedly lead to some really cool new products that we think that our customers will love.”

The future for The Pear Tree Pen Company looks very bright, and includes a lot of great new products and ideas that customers are sure to love, and both Ryan and James are really excited for what comes next! “We’ve got some cool things up our sleeves,” says Ryan, “stuff you won’t be able to find anywhere else! The addition of Lum-Tec’s fantastic line of watches is just the start!”

In anticipation of the future…both James & Ryan have their shades ready. Get yours out.

Edited by James P

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rroossinck

• James P

• cmeisenzahl

• Deirdre

Wow! Congratulations Ryan, ottimo colpo!

Best of luck to both for this new partnership.

Andre

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Hey, thanks! I'm still getting on my feet as far as procedures and stuff like that, but thus far it's been a lot of fun (and fulfilling work, too!)!

I think we're already making great big improvements, and even getting ready to add new products, too!

The latest?

Amodex.

(Thus saith Ryan, who dished up about 20 different ink samplers last night, and whose fingers are hilariously inky.) ;)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Congratulations James. Ryan is the shrewdest pen person I've met.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Woot Woot! Congrats to both!

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Mazel Tov!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

What a perfect "marriage" of efforts! Congratulations to both Ryan and Jim.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Congrats!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Congratulations! Fabulous news!

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

Great News!

Have never hesitated to recommend James as an ink/pen source..

Have wondered at infrequent posts.. Family First, and adjustments to achieve best possible outcome for his good intentions, sounds right on!

Now curious, if Ryan is MI located, or will PP be online business only?

All the best to both of you!

Sorry P2P...I was born & raised there, but the Pear Tree has been re-planted in Iowa! :)

No retail space yet, but we'll see how things go. I don't think Des Moines is big enough to support another pen store (we have two of them already, and neither of them is making great strides in our market, despite a lot of white collar jobs).

Of course...as several of you FPN lovelies can attest, we're just off of I-80; if you're swingin' through, drop me a line! We might be able to arrange private tours. :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.