The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 51

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Okami

Okami

Writing Is Thinking In Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2009 - 16:26

I'd like to share my blog post on the Parker 51.

Please see the full post with photos and links here: Featured Pen - The Parker 51. Following is the text of the post:

The Parker 51 is another pen that has probably had more written about it than most other pens made. It was developed in 1939 and was in continuous production until 1972, that's 33 years...a long time for a single pen model.

For an extensive history, please go to Ernesto M. Soler's Website - The Parker "51" Website, I don't think that you will find a more comprehensive history of this fabled pen anywhere else on the web.

Of course, don't ignore extremely informative sites like the wonderful model profile on Richard Binder's site, the Fountain Pen Network and the Parker Forum there or Tony Fischier's Parker Collector Site.

I am the proud owner of three Parker 51's, two Aerometic and one Vacumatic. Interestingly, both of my aerometric pens are black, although one has a F/M nib and the other a B nib, while the vac is Cedar Blue with a F nib.

The vacumatic pen was an eBay find for a very good price in good working order, although I fear that one day soon that I will have to send it to a Penmeister for repairs. Parker 51 repairs are not for the timid and require special knowledge due to their unique construction.

The Parker 51 remains one of my favorite pens and although these three have been out of rotation for several months, I am always joyful when they return. They are reliable pens worthy of the Parker name and exhibit all the quality workmanship that Parker invested in all of their pens.

Anyone familiar with the Parker 51 should also be familiar with the Parker dating system. My pens are dated as follows:

Cedar Blue Vac - Made in USA - first quarter 1947
Black Aero F/M - Made in USA - fourth quarter 1949
Black Aero B - unknown - best guess second quarter 1952 - imprint is worn

The Parker 51 is a classic, but it also seems to be a pen that you either love or you hate. There does not seem to be any in between when it comes to pen lovers. I happen to love the "51", I love the hooded nib, I love the Parker reliability, I just love them.

Click to enlarge: (the paper is Bloc Rhodia No 16)
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

Sponsored Content

#2 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 20:34

i think this is a wonderful blog post. i really like what you said,

The Parker 51 is a classic, but it also seems to be a pen that you either love or you hate. There does not seem to be any in between when it comes to pen lovers.

i agree. i originally hate p51...then, a month later, i owned 9...now i'm at 4 or 5, and love 'em all :)

#3 Bill Smith

Bill Smith

Parker and Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the west end of Greater Toronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 12 November 2009 - 21:55

Great blog post. I am a big fan of the 51 with 16 in the collection.
"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

#4 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 16:33

nice review
Cogito ergo sum

Sponsored Content