The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Girard Perregaux Tourbillon Fountain Pen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:24

Appearance & Design 10/10 (If your familiar the watches)

Posted Image

As a watch collector this pen was a must have for me, if you don't know much about Girard Perregaux then you may not get the design or appearance of this pen right off the bat. The tourbillon movement is one of most expensive and complicated movements a watch can house. Typically watches with this movement from high end watch brands sell for well into the six figures. The tourbillon movement was created over 200 years ago to help make pocket watches more accurate and the movement itself can take over a year to produce.

Girard Perregaux has a signature way they present their tourbillon watches as they align the movement in three bridges. The clip of this pen is one of the bridges that you would see in their tourbillon watches and the somewhat odd color of this pen happens to be the company's flagship color.

Posted Image

The packaging this pen comes in is one of the best, if not the best, I have ever seen!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Construction & Quality (10/10)

The construction and quality of this pen is off the charts (it should be with a $2740 retail) Girard Perregaux collaborated with Montegrappa on this pen and both companies did an outstanding job.

Posted Image

The pen is somewhat heavy but feels very comfortable in your hand. The square body of the pen is more comfortable than it looks.

Posted Image

The celluloid is breath taking to look at. The pen posts but I like to use it unposted as itís a little unbalanced posted.

Posted Image

Nib & Performance (10/10)

My best writer, itís as smooth as smooth can be. Doesn't skip and the F NIB is a perfect size for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Filling System & Maintenance (10/10)

This is a piston filled pen, what more could you ask for.

Cost & Value (7/10)

At $2740 this pen is a little pricy and one would think the market for it is somewhat limited to watch collectors who also like pens. I will say that if you fall in that category then this pen is a must have.

Conclusion 9/10

I would give this pen a 9 out of 10. There are only two things that arenít perfect for me the first being the top of the cap.

Posted Image

Itís an engraving of the tourbillon movement and I think GP could have done a better job with it. My second knock would be the high retail price. Otherwise this pen is nearly perfect.

Posted Image

One final shot with my other watch themed Breguet fountain pen. A review on this pen will follow in the near future as well. I hope you enjoyed the photos and commentary!

Posted Image

Tony

Sponsored Content

#2 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:36

Thanks for the review of a pen I thought only live in advertising. Not being a watch guy, your explanation of the tie-in was very well done. I appreciate your evaluation of the Tourbillon as a pen to be used. I confess the price takes my breath away: I assume there are no steep discounts!
gary

#3 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:39

I'd heard about this pen but never saw a non-commercial shot of it. Great job on the review! I take it the stepped down segment at the end of the pen is the piston screw? Is it easy to grip without slipping? I'm not surprised Montegrappa collaborated with GP on this, as the section is unmistakably Montegrappa in design. Looks like a really solid, well made pen. It's especially meaningful how real watch parts were used in the cosmetic accents. And that roll top case is gorgeous!

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#4 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,594 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:43

Thanks for sharing this review, I am not a watch guy, but your review has certainly upped my interest.

Best,
hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#5 Jonst

Jonst

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:58

Great review Tony and great pictures (I also enjoyed them on the watch forums)!

Whilst I would prefer a three golden bridges tourbillon, that sure looks a lovely pen!

Given that you have Breguet and GP pens presumably you are now going to get the FP Journe pen to complet your set?

Best wishes

Jon

#6 diplomat

diplomat

Platinum Member :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:21

Now, that is a good addition to the forum! For me too these are the first non commercial photos from the pen. I didn't know it was made by Montegrappa. Is there any "made in italy" mark?

Given that you have Breguet and GP pens presumably you are now going to get the FP Journe pen to complet your set?

And we should not forget about the Frank Muller fountain pen made by Omas...

#7 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:41

very nice
The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2009 - 20:47

very original and nice :) thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#9 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 21:07

Thanks for the review of a pen I thought only live in advertising. Not being a watch guy, your explanation of the tie-in was very well done. I appreciate your evaluation of the Tourbillon as a pen to be used. I confess the price takes my breath away: I assume there are no steep discounts!
gary

I bought mine off a grey market watch dealers site at a decent discount. The Breguet pen on the other hand can only be bought new at the boutique and of course you can't get a discount at a Breguet boutique.

Tony

#10 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 22:26

I'd heard about this pen but never saw a non-commercial shot of it. Great job on the review! I take it the stepped down segment at the end of the pen is the piston screw? Is it easy to grip without slipping? I'm not surprised Montegrappa collaborated with GP on this, as the section is unmistakably Montegrappa in design. Looks like a really solid, well made pen. It's especially meaningful how real watch parts were used in the cosmetic accents. And that roll top case is gorgeous!

Thanks, yes your right. The end of the pen is the piston screw. The pen is very easy to grip, I have never had any problems with slippage. As you thought, this pen is very well made. Thanks again for the comments!

Tony

#11 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 22:28

Now, that is a good addition to the forum! For me too these are the first non commercial photos from the pen. I didn't know it was made by Montegrappa. Is there any "made in italy" mark?

And we should not forget about the Frank Muller fountain pen made by Omas...

No made in Italy marks from what I see, although Girard Perregaux is a Swiss brand.

Tony

#12 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 22:30

Great review Tony and great pictures (I also enjoyed them on the watch forums)!

Whilst I would prefer a three golden bridges tourbillon, that sure looks a lovely pen!

Best wishes

Jon

Thanks for the comments, If I ever saw a Journe come up for sale at a "reasonable" price I would probably add it to the collection. It does have a funky look to it though.

Tony

#13 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 22:39

Nice that you have this pen. A good review with many photographs. Always wondered what it could be like and who the manufacturer was.

Perhaps if you have a three bridges tourbillon or pics to compare it against you might do an update.

Thank you.

#14 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 23:04

Nice that you have this pen. A good review with many photographs. Always wondered what it could be like and who the manufacturer was.

Perhaps if you have a three bridges tourbillon or pics to compare it against you might do an update.

Thank you.

I tried placing an internet picture of the watch and couldn't figure out how to post it. If you do a quick google search a bunch of photos of the GP Tourbillon watches will pop up.

Tony

#15 rinellatony

rinellatony

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:49

Here's the link to the Breguet fountain pen review that I just posted.

http://www.fountainp...howtopic=131417

Tony

#16 TSR

TSR

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2015 - 20:55

Is there any market today for this pen? I have one (#324) that I received as a gift and have hardly ever used it and am hoping to find a new home for it. 

#17 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2015 - 23:15

Is there any market today for this pen? I have one (#324) that I received as a gift and have hardly ever used it and am hoping to find a new home for it. 

Probably not within the general fountain pen community.  Your best chance would be among folk that collect Girard Perregaux watches and accessories.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Sponsored Content

|