Joining from New Jersey

Lisanti

I have been reading the posts here for quite a while, and receiving some great advice on the way, but I figured that it was time to sign up.

I used fountain/cartridge pens on and off through school, but didn't get a "real" fountain pen until I was given a Mont Blanc as a farewell gift as I was leaving a job at the NYSE - FPs were de rigeur in Wall Street in the 80s and 90s. I got myself a Waterman and bought my husband a lovely Parker, which I now know was/is a 75.

My interest languished as I dealt with various Life events, which included having a daughter in 1994. I tried to get back to my FPs, but a baby/toddler and FPs are not a good combination, so I put them away again.

In 2004, we were up in Boston, spending, um, shopping our way through the indoor stores, and I saw some Rotring Core rollerballs in the Crane store and fell in love. They are so weird and funky that I couldn't resist. After a couple of months of borrowing mine, my daughter wanted one, and in looking online for them, I found that they came in FPs, and couldn't resist them either. Then I saw that they came in several different combinations, and so ended up on Ebay, the world's garage sale. That's when I saw that there were LOTS of funky pens, beautiful pens, interesting pens, and started down the slippery slope to obsession.

Then you get into paper, and ink, and smoothing nibs, and resaccing, and polishing, and oh boy howdy spending a whole lot of money. I tell myself and my husband that it's cheaper than designer wear or drugs, and that usually works.

I've been lucky enough to be a stay-at-home mom (there has got to be a better way to say that), so my writing has been limited to notes to the teachers, keeping a journal (which has made me a paper snob, I'm afraid), and making lists.

I love my pens, the sheer variety of them, the Parker Vacuumatic Silver Pearl, the Core Rubidium, the Stypen, the Parker 180 - they're all great (well, not the Phileas - they're awful). I have bought what I liked, and it turns out that a lot of what I like are Parkers, although I have others.

That's probably more than you want to know, but there it is. I'm glad to be a member here.

Joan Lisanti

Glen Ridge, NJ

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lisanti

• aunt rebecca

• mike1

• goodguy

Welcome! I am a stay-at-home mom too, but I work so hard there, that "stay-at-home" sounds like a vacation, which as you know, it is NOT! If you want to use your pens more, try correspondence. I think there is a thread on that somehwere in FPN. Its also a good way to put to use lovely FP friendly papers/stationery. And then you must coordinate inks to go with the papers, & then you need more pens to hold the new inks..... ;) and so it goes....! :D

Welcome to FPN. There's alot to be learned here and I'm ready to learn from you. Please continue to post and tell us more about your pens.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

hi

you are a mom who has chosen to raise your daughter and keep-up your house wihout the interference of a job outside of the house. enuf said, getting involved with snailing with other pen nuts is fun. btw there is a new jersey pen club that will meet, probably in september and elaine and i would welcome another woman. it appears that more men collect fountain pens then women--but that could change. welcome to the board!!!!

:)9 :)9 :)9 :)9

:bunny1: :bunny1: :meow: :meow:

:ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd: :ltcapd:

Edited by aunt rebecca

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Welcome Joan

Welcome to FPN.Its great seeing woman love pen collection I wish my wife would feel the same about pens.

I dissagree about your coment about the Phileas,I own one and even though I wouldnt collect it I think its a wonderful everyday writer for its price and a great beginers pen,its big,smooth,pretty very reliable and cheap so if you break or loose it who cares.

I love Parkers too and just found an almost mint Parker 180 GF + original box in a flea market for 20$ a wonderful pen but a bit lite weight for my taste.

Respect to all

hi

<SNIP> it appears that more men collect fountain pens then women <SNIP OUT OF CONTEXT>

Aunt Rebecca, that's because collecting women is a whole lot more hassle than collecting fountain pens.

And welcome to the board, Joan.

Murdoch

Sometimes a technology reaches perfection and further development is just tinkering. The fountain pen is a good example of this.

I'm sure my wife would have alot to say to me on our way to court if I collected more women than pens. Collecting pens is much easier and cheaper than collecting women.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Joan, Welcome!

I'm not crazy about the "stay-at-home-mom" label either. You are a Home Manager [comparable to being in charge of a small business] and mentor to a future leader [or leaders, depending on how many children you have].

Anyway --------- welcome to FPN. I must add that if you have a Phileas that's "awful," I'm inclined to think it must have some factory defect that somehow got past the quality control inspection. I have two that I write with every day, and I love them. My husband has three and is very pleased with them. One of mine is a fine point and one a medium. What is it that you don't like about your Phileas?

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

I've always thought a good "stay at home mom" was the best asset a man could have. Not only is he assured the children are taken care of, the "house" is cared for, the bills are paid without him thinking about it and healthy meals are just 'there'. There is little need during the day for interruptions of what may be a very productive day 'shot to hell' because af a need for domestic intervention.

The other side of that is the "man" of the house is expected to properly provide adequate income to afford this lifestyle. Roles may be reversed but that is not traditional, at least here in the US.

I think some of the 'look down attitude' is envy. They think, like folks who have never run a business, it is all positive and forget there are many loads of clothes a day, ironing, house cleaning, and such that needs to be squeezed in between soap operas (oops, how did that get in there). The envy extends both directions. Many men look at 'stay at home' wives as something they cannot afford. AND, if they can't have it they don't want their peirs to have it....

Well, that's the views from my peospective at least.

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

hi,

sometimes my brain and fingers do not communicate. :blush: :blush:

my synapse lab is working on the problem --but is missing some data. :doh: :doh:

ah, well it did provide fodder for the board. :ltcapd: :roflmho:

i have found that the phileas is a boring, but has always been a stalwart writter. it always wrote smoothly. perhaps you got a lemon. bring it to your first pen club meeting (hint) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and we will diagnose the problem.

:eureka: :eureka:

:bunny1: :meow: :bunny1: :meow:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Lisanti Posted on Jul 14 2006, 02:36 PM

I've been lucky enough to be a stay-at-home mom (there has got to be a better way to say that), so my writing has been limited to notes to the teachers, keeping a journal (which has made me a paper snob, I'm afraid), and making lists.

Hi and Welcome Lisanti!

I too, was a stay at home mom for 13 years. I loved it and wouldn't change it for anything. I am a relative newbie to the fountain pen world, but like you I was sucked into all aspects of it! (pens, paper, ink etc...)

It's funny that you used the term "paper snob" because that's what my husband tells me I am, a "paper snob" and a "pen snob"! :roflmho:

I also am a Parker fan, vintage Parker 51's are my love. I also love the Phileas (I did get a bad one, btw, and took it back to the store) and am now becoming a fan of Esterbrooks.

Hope to see many posts from you!

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

Thank you all for your kind welcomes. I like "Home Manager" for a title; sometimes "serf" may be more applicable, but that's true for just about any job.The thing that gets forgotten, I think, is that it's 24/7/52 - it is great, though, watching my girl grow up. Yes, she has her own FPs, and she has free access to mine as long as she's careful. So far, so good (knock on wood). I had a heck of a time holding onto the Recife eyedropper, so I got her the big Wality eyedropper instead, and everyone was happy.

Having started with the funky, I've based a fair number of buying decisions on the funkiness of the pen - I love the snorkels, for example, and the Parker 180, while I agree that it's lightweight, is pretty high on the weird scale. The Sheaffer inlaid nib is a thing of beauty, and my two-toned Wearever looks like it belongs in a poodle skirt. I have found, as my collection has grown, that I much prefer a nib that writes wet and very smoothly, and it seems that Parker has a slight edge in that area among the pens I have. I don't have any super-high grade/super-expensive pens -I wouldn't mind having some, but I went for quantity. I like to change pens, change inks: I have a lot of fun with my pens. I would guess that about half of my pens are new, and the other half is new only to me; the majority were bought on Ebay. I don't have a favorite pen - I love and use them all, and "all" means way too close to 100.

I would sure love to come to a NJ Pen meeting! I'm in Essex County, by Montclair, so north central NJ - Exit 148 on the GSP (yes, we really say that).

Thank you again for making me so welcome - this is a great community and I'm happy to be part of it.

Joan

Hello and welcome aboard!

Glad you're hear, and it's neat that you've gotten your daughter into FPs also. My son is interested in FPs too, but he has yet to use one. He's just allowed to look at them, and frequently asks to do so. He even asks me to open them up so he can see the nib. Of course, he's only 2 yrs old right now - but it's a start!

See you around!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Joan ! Welcome aboard! :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

• 3 weeks later...
I would sure love to come to a NJ Pen meeting! I'm in Essex County, by Montclair, so north central NJ - Exit 148 on the GSP (yes, we really say that).

Hello Joan and welcome

I'm somewhat new (since May) here and have found this community great. Very helpful when needed.

I'm from Rutherford, exit 153 from GSP :lol: I joined a fountain pen club here in NJ but have not yet attended a meeting. I'll send you the info if you want.

I'd love to have information about a NJ Fountain Pen Club. Where does it meet? Thank you for posting about it - now please, spill the deets!

Joan

Oops, I let this get away from me. I sent you an invitation to the Yahoo group where you'll find more information. Welcome!