To Re-nib, or Not to Re-nib?

wspohn

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer a nib that doesn't suit you, or to spend the loot one a new one without even trying it?

That was my quandary with a new Pelikan M800 that came rather perversely equipped with an OBB nib.

I am definitely a fine nib kind of guy, and I don't like wet writers, so the thought of using this wide boy didn't endear itself to me....until I enquired about the cost of obtaining a new one (more than I'd paid for the pen) and the amount of time it would take.

The option of trying the present nib was dictated by both impatience to try a new pen, and my native frugality (don't let the name fool you - I am 3/4 Scottish).

So I inked up (PR Avacado seemed suitable with a Pelikan greenstripe - can't those people spell 'avocado'?) and tentatively had at it....and you know what? It isn't half bad!

What do other people think about the oblique nibs, much difference, or not a big deal? And the Broad didn't bother me as much as I thought it might, although it is early days yet. I'll carry it to work for a few days to see how it grows on me.

I shall have the opportunity to compare it with a Fine in due course as a vendor I had been in contact with said he had another Pelikan he was going to list for sale. He wasn't sure what it was, but by getting him to measure it (oh yes, and the fact that it was in a boxed set with a bottle of ink) it turned out that it was an M1000, and the price was good enough that my willpower deserted me (it has been known to do that from time to time). And of course I had just 'saved' c. $200 Can. (yup, that's what a new nib costs for the M800 up here), so I figured I should go for it.

Besides, the M1000 will make my old MB 149 look more normal sitting beside it.

Anyone care to comment on the M1000 writing experience?

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sonia_simone

• wspohn

• OldGriz

• kareth

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All you need to do to get a fine nib is contact Chartpak and send them the pen for a nib exchance.... no charge and they send it back FedEx...

I have had a couple of Pels that I got with bigger nibs because the price was right and had them exchanged...

You don't need to buy a new one and sell the old...

Slightly OT, I am waiting to hear back after emailing Chartpak about a yukky scratchy nib on an Athens I just (finally) managed to pick up. It's been a week today--do you think I should poke them again?

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

My avatar, of course, indicates my sadness that the Athens is not in writing shape NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer a nib that doesn't suit you, or to spend the loot one a new one without even trying it?

That was my quandary with a new Pelikan M800 that came rather perversely equipped with an OBB nib.

I am definitely a fine nib kind of guy, and I don't like wet writers, so the thought of using this wide boy didn't endear itself to me....until I enquired about the cost of obtaining a new one (more than I'd paid for the pen) and the amount of time it would take.

The option of trying the present nib was dictated by both impatience to try a new pen, and my native frugality (don't let the name fool you - I am 3/4 Scottish).

So I inked up (PR Avacado seemed suitable with a Pelikan greenstripe - can't those people spell 'avocado'?) and tentatively had at it....and you know what? It isn't half bad!

What do other people think about the oblique nibs, much difference, or not a big deal? And the Broad didn't bother me as much as I thought it might, although it is early days yet. I'll carry it to work for a few days to see how it grows on me.

I shall have the opportunity to compare it with a Fine in due course as a vendor I had been in contact with said he had another Pelikan he was going to list for sale. He wasn't sure what it was, but by getting him to measure it (oh yes, and the fact that it was in a boxed set with a bottle of ink) it turned out that it was an M1000, and the price was good enough that my willpower deserted me (it has been known to do that from time to time). And of course I had just 'saved' c. $200 Can. (yup, that's what a new nib costs for the M800 up here), so I figured I should go for it.

Besides, the M1000 will make my old MB 149 look more normal sitting beside it.

Anyone care to comment on the M1000 writing experience?

For a review on M1000 please visit:

http://www.mikeshea.net/Pelikan_M1000_Fountain_Pe.html

For a review on M1000 please visit:

http://www.mikeshea.net/Pelikan_M1000_Fountain_Pe.html

Thanks very much for that enjoyable read about pen adventures with the M1000.

Having already bought a MB 149 (OK, OK, you wheedled it out of me, the Meistershtupper was FREE - I had SO many gold card points and nothing leapt put at me....) I doubt I'd have been aching to own another "pen of the cultural elite" to quote Mike.

However, this one sort of fell into my lap, and for about half of the $300 Mike paid for his from Malaysia, and that's a bit much to expect a guy to resist (I am now practicing my spiel for my wife..) - the M1000 retails at around $800 Can. which is pretty ridiculous considering you can buy them all day long off ebay at a (not insubstantial, I admit) fraction of that.

BTW, I also parlayed someone else's Mastercard points into a pen a few years ago.

He had lots of points, nothing he wanted and I offered him around $300 to 'buy' a new MB 144 Solitaire Doue in Burgundy with Vermeil cap.

I got some minor mileage from SWMBO on that one by telling her what a great friend I'd been to help him out that way. I think she bought it.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html