Review: Waterman Phileas

James P

Are translucent pens with the Phileas style cap and nib all properly called Kultur pens? Were these US made? I just wonder because of the sort-of Germanic spelling of Kultur. Any info you can share about when these were made?

I picked up a pretty blue one today; the nib/section is soaking as I write. It seems to be in very good condition, no cracks in cap or barrel that I could see. I dipped the steel(?) F nib and found it a good writer, perhaps not quite as smooth as my bought-new-1999 partially gold-plated M Phileas. But I'm very happy to add it to my collection.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *david*

• Charles Skinner

• Sailor Kenshin

• chadden42

Where'd you 'pick it up?' Luckyyyy.

I had to get mine (years ago) from Sweden on fleabay. And I think I gave away the packaging and all when I PIF.

A year or so ago, Montgomery Pens had some of these in all sorts of colors. I don't know if they still do.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

the phileas is an outstanding value for money

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Must add: I miss James Partridge and the Pear Tree pen company. Good review. Good people.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• 5 months later...

This review is dead on. I have the pen he reviewed only in F instead of M. Absolutely love it. Looking for another. Perhaps in M this time around.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

This review is dead on. I have the pen he reviewed only in F instead of M. Absolutely love it. Looking for another. Perhaps in M this time around.

Was able to find that M nibbed Phileas (BNIB) I was looking for. $45 shipped for a black one. I find that the Medium is actually slightly finer than the fine on my Lamy AL Star.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 1 year later...

Well... The review and all those positive comments pushed me over the edge.

I just bought one on the classified :)

Can't wait to try it.

This place is dangerous...

Edited by Jeje3325

I have a Phileas, I like it. The only annoying thing is that people seem to keep mistaking it for a fancy expensive fountain pen.

• 5 months later...

After reading the review about the waterman Phineas I had to reply. It was an excellent review and echo my thoughts about the pen exactly. I bought my phineas back in the late 1990s it came with a matching ball pen .The price for the two were just under £50 it was a very nice green with black patches.I used it for quite a while until I bought a waterman careen which I have always wanted . Now and then I go back to using the Phineas and to be honest it writes just as well as my careen and in some respects it writes just a little bit better.Maybe it just seems that way,sometimes something that is very expensive is not as good as something least as expensive.Thats why iwas very impressed with your review and I have now started to use my Phineas again

• 2 weeks later...

Cheapie but a goodie! I too, cannot really get into Waterman FPs, but in saying this own a couple of these little gems and love writing with them.

Great review.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

• 3 years later...

Got a Phileas Medium in a rather stealth black and gold trim in the late 90s and still using it today.

After many years, it had a leaky section at the section gold trim, bought another section with nib (fine). Found the fine nib rather dry and toothy and used the new section with my original medium nib. Works great with most inks and papers. The convertor works fine to this day.

• 3 months later...

A great pen! What else can I say? I have more than a few much more expensive pens, but if I knew I was going to be "shipwrecked" on an island in the ocean, and I could only take one pen, ----- It would be my great Waterman Phileas!!!!!!! C. S.

As I understand it, the Phileas and the Kultur pens are almost "two peas in a pod." I remember seeing a comparison of the two pens a few years ago. Do any of you know where I can find it again? I would really enjoy seeing it again. C. S.

A comparison between the Phileas and the Kultur will be in the Waterman forum. Here is one I found.

There may be others. I typed "Compare Phileas V Kultur" into the search box: Top right, type in search words, click on the magnifying glass, and many results will come up.

Beware that with the hype and price bubble lots of Kultur parts are being sold as Phileas parts. The price bubble itself is kind of silly when the cheap-looking Kultur has the price the Phileas commanded when it was sold.

Phileas is one of may all time favourite pens.