Pilot Custom 845-M

hari317

This is an old post but I have to learn about this. I thought 743 nibs and 845 nings are the same #15 nibs so why the nib on 743 has grooves like #10 FA nibs I didn't understand. Thanks for the help.

the 743 and 845 nibs are same #15 except for:

• Monotone nib on 743 Vs Bitone nib on 845.
  • 14K nib on 743 Vs 18K nib on 845.

The 743 nib shown in the pic above is actually a #15 FA nib thats why it has side cutouts, I think that is what you were asking?

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Lava Fountain

• cbaytan

• Silvermink

the 743 and 845 nibs are same #15 except for:

• Monotone nib on 743 Vs Bitone nib on 845.
  • 14K nib on 743 Vs 18K nib on 845.

The 743 nib shown in the pic above is actually a #15 FA nib thats why it has side cutouts, I think that is what you were asking?

Exactly, if they are same nibs why 743 FA nib has side cut-outs as you say. That looks like #10 FA nib, thats confısing.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

Exactly, if they are same nibs why 743 FA nib has side cut-outs as you say. That looks like #10 FA nib, thats confısing.

the FA nibs found on the 742, 743 as well as 912 have side cutouts. In other words, all FA nibs have side cutouts.

In general, the #10 FA nib looks smaller in size as compared to other #10 nibs, similarly #15 FA nib looks smaller in size as compared to other #15 nibs. This is because geometry of the FA nibs is different from the other nibs.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

the FA nibs found on the 742, 743 as well as 912 have side cutouts. In other words, all FA nibs have side cutouts.

Thank a lot, then I am confused by the pictures on the net. Last question, are bicolor 845 FA nibs fully compatible with other 14K #15 monocolor FA nibs for swap out? Because finding a 845 with FA nib might be hard to find.

Thank a lot, then I am confused by the pictures on the net. Last question, are bicolor 845 FA nibs fully compatible with other 14K #15 monocolor FA nibs for swap out? Because finding a 845 with FA nib might be hard to find.

It should be possible to swap the 14K #15 FA nib from a 743 into an 845. I don't believe the 845 is available with an FA nib.

There is no FA nib option on the 845.

here is the Pilot website, LINK it is a treasure trove of information, go through it, it has all the details.

Thats why I am asking. I was trying to find out if getting an 845 and throwing a #15 FA nib from cheapest pen I could find is possible. Or better purchasing an FA nib separately.. But my understanding is Pilot doesn't' sell #10-15 nibs separately.

Edited by cbaytan

Thats why I am asking. I was trying to find out if getting an 845 and throwing a #15 FA nib from cheapest pen I could find is possible. Or better purchasing an FA nib separately.. But my understanding is Pilot doesn't' sell #10-15 nibs separately.

yes.

from the linked page:

Our shop special model "Vermilion lacquer model"

Ready-made pilot custom 845 is only black color.

The typical color of lacquer, there is a vermilion besides black. Vermilion in Japan, has been positioned as a noble color from ancient times, it has been used in sacred things such as shrines or color of the seal of high status.

The color is beautiful and very noble, so I had hope and dream to achieve a custom 845 that are lacquered in the vermilion.

It took a long time to negotiate production of special model to Pilot, but was finally realized this time. I am very happy.

For ebonite-machining, lacquering and polishing three times, it takes about six months to complete. Besides, it can not produce many amounts at a time because it takes time and effort.

Please enjoy this precious artwork.

and

Custom 845 FA nib model does not exist in ready-made products at Pilot. This model is the special order product by request from our shop to Pilot.

The writing taste of FA nib in a Custom 823 is highly recommended because it brings good balance of nib softness and the weight.

This shop has got these pen configurations custom made from Pilot, this is not a stock offering from Pilot.

I hope this brings some clarity.

Hari

Wow, I wish I had not seen this...because I want a Vermilion Custom 845 now. Gah! Oh well :)

It has been around for a while, some real world pics of the beauty can be found here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/203313-pilot-custom-845-pilots-sad-flagship/?p=2088080

It has been around for a while, some real world pics of the beauty can be found here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/203313-pilot-custom-845-pilots-sad-flagship/?p=2088080

Awesome, thanks hari! Now I just need to decide what to sell to acquire it. :thumbup:

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

congrats on the pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 year later...

here is the Pilot website, LINK it is a treasure trove of information, go through it, it has all the details.

Hari,

You can buy the FA nib from The Tokyo Pen Shop Quill. I have been saving for this pen and nib in the Vermillion Color. I actually think it would be everything I ever dreamed of in a pen! And yes, it is not a stock option from Pilot. I love Pilot pens so much and I love you wonderful photographs!

Edited by httpmom

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Hari,

You can buy the FA nib from The Tokyo Pen Shop Quill. I have been saving for this pen and nib in the Vermillion Color. I actually think it would be everything I ever dreamed of in a pen! And yes, it is not a stock option from Pilot. I love Pilot pens so much and I love you wonderful photographs!

WOW!

Thank you for this post. I have NEVER seen this pen before & I surely see why it is your dream pen. I ordered the 823 in the brown because it was "NOT black" & although it is perfectly acceptable I have no real love for it. The broadest nib available when I purchased it from Amazon on a special sale was of course broad & since it is "Japanese broad" not really very broad in comparison to European, Italian or US broad nibs. BUT the combination of the Vermillion color, lacquer finish & unique nib really make this a special pen.

I appreciate your introducing it to me & I hope it is yours very soon!

as far as I know of there are 4 unique 845s made in Japan

Aka-Urushi

Shuu-Urushi

Midori-Urushi

Ao-Urushi

Shuu-urushi is made for Asahiya Pen shop AKA tokyo pen quill (this can come with a Fa nib if you also like it)

Ao-Urushi was made for Nagasawa Pen Den

Midori-Urushi was made for Maruzen Pen show this year

Aka-Urushi eludes me when it was made but I think it it was also made for nagasawa a few years back correct me if I'm wrong

Your reviews set the bar very high and his one is no exception.

Do you and others consider this a must have?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...