Improvement to Wality piston filler

Buzz Jack

I was attending the Ohio Pen show today and it was great lots of great pens and many helpful and knowledgeable people. One of these people was a Mr.Venu Rao of Schrieber Inc who has devloped an improved piston for the Wality fountain pen,this piston instead of having a cup has two O rings which completely seal the piston and prevent leaks. Mr. Rao has also devloped an improved feed for Wality pens. He replaced the piston in my Wality in a couple of minutes and did it for less than $9.00 a real bargin. Here is his email venukrao@hotmail.com

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• venukrao

• hari317

• Jimmy James

• Buzz Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick confirmation. I picked up one of venukrao's modified Wality piston-fillers at University Art this afternoon. The modifications are beautifully executed, the piston works like a dream, and the pen writes beautifully. They still have several in stock at $25 each, which has to be the bargain of the month for a full-sized, hand-modified piston-filler with an excellent nib.

Venu: Thanks for a marvelous pen!

ron

Oh, this is exceptional. I love the shape and most everything about my Wality piston...except that the feed sucks and ink gets past the piston cup. It's 90% excellent, but that 10% means it rarely gets used. I just made a big purchase, but I'll be after one of these after the beginning of the year.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Just a quick confirmation. I picked up one of venukrao's modified Wality piston-fillers at University Art this afternoon. The modifications are beautifully executed, the piston works like a dream, and the pen writes beautifully. They still have several in stock at $25 each, which has to be the bargain of the month for a full-sized, hand-modified piston-filler with an excellent nib.

Venu: Thanks for a marvelous pen!

ron

+1 to the above, Venukrao has worked very hard to bring about these improvements to the Wality piston filler pens, the improved design is rock solid due to the dual O-ring seal designed by him. Best wishes to his endeavour.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the favorable comments and encouragement. I just wanted to mention that the improvements to the Wality 69 and 52 have transformed the pens to be reliable, economical piston filler pens. If one is in the market for a piston filler at a reasonable price, the modified Wality should be your first choice.

A Wality 69 and 52 truly represent Elegance without Extravagance !

Venu Rao

Wality 69 and 52 Piston filler pens with the improved piston and feed are available with the following dealers:

1) Chuck Swisher ( http://www.swisherpens.com )

2) A Pen Lovers Paradise ( http://www.apenloversparadise.com )

3) Avalon pens ( http://www.avalonpens.com )

4) University Art, Palo Alto ( http://www.universityart.com )

Venu Rao

I followed the link and the Wality piston fillers are about $25. Can you tell me if these pens come with the improved piston and feed as standard or do you need to specify this as an extra.

Thanks

Venu, thanks for sending me a new feed. I have been using this new feed for about three weeks and I must say that the pen now writes as soon as the point touches the paper and the new feed puts down a nice wet line at all angles and at all times unlike the old factory feed which had some starting problems.

• 1 month later...

I got one of these modified Wality pens from Swisher thanks to my wife. I have filled it with Noodler's GI Green (new formulation, it would seem) and have been using the pen for two days now.

The piston works very well, though it was a bit unusual to twist the barrel instead of a knob at the end of the barrel to operate the mechanism. It's a very interesting design. The piston itself looks very modern unlike the "cup" style of the other Wality I own. The feed has clearly been changed as advertised. I did get a big drop of ink that came out yesterday, but I may have been gesturing with the pen when it happened (I noticed it after the fact). The nib is either just out of luck one of the smoothest I own or else it has been worked on to achieve that effect.

I'm wild about this pen. Wality makes a large, cheap pen. With a little modification, it becomes a large and inexpensive but very satisfying instrument. I give this my thumbs up and may do a more formal review if ever I feel the creative urge at a time when I have time enough to do such things.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

The piston works very well, though it was a bit unusual to twist the barrel instead of a knob at the end of the barrel to operate the mechanism.

It would be the same thing, hold the knob and twist the barrel or vice versa, but the former would look quite funny, but were you advised to do this? is the piston tight and you need more torque?

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

These pens don't have a knob, Hari -- the barrel twists. Search me what model it is that does that, but it appears from the design that it was certainly meant to work that way.

These pens don't have a knob, Hari -- the barrel twists. Search me what model it is that does that, but it appears from the design that it was certainly meant to work that way.

Thanks Jimmy, I did not know that a knobless Wality piston filler existed. I had a piston wality like the one shown on the swisher site (picture by swisherpens):

Wality_Black_Piston_FP.jpg

but mine was pretty conventional with the filling knob at the end.

Venu can you throw some light on this model?

Thanks!

Hari

What is the difference between the two models? Which models are carried by whom? Only Swisher and Avalon appear to have any on their web site (and only Avalon mentions nib size); can't find any mention of them on the other two sites. Also, are they available with gold trim?

Thanks

-mike

"...Madness takes its toll."

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4954883548_bb6177bea0_m.jpghttp://www.clubtuzki.com/sites/default/files/icon24.gifhttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/5152062692_8037fd369c_t.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5152115656_e8d75849f1_t.jpg

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." – J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks Jimmy, I did not know that a knobless Wality piston filler existed. I had a piston wality like the one shown on the swisher site (picture by swisherpens):

Wality_Black_Piston_FP.jpg

but mine was pretty conventional with the filling knob at the end.

Venu can you throw some light on this model?

Thanks!

Hari

Hari:

The model is similar to the one shown in the image.

The main difference is that the piston features two (2) orings and the feed is a finned platic feed. The

suggested method of filling is as follows:

1) Hold the barrel firmly and turn the knob counter clockwise.

2) Immerse in a bottle of ink, hold the barrel firmly and turn the knob clockwise.

3) Wipe excess ink on the pen with a lint free napkin.

Thanks,

Venu

What is the difference between the two models? Which models are carried by whom? Only Swisher and Avalon appear to have any on their web site (and only Avalon mentions nib size); can't find any mention of them on the other two sites. Also, are they available with gold trim?

Thanks

Hi:

The two models modified by Schrieber are the Wality 69 and 52 respectively.

At present the pens are available online from Swisher ( http://www.swisherpens.com/) and Avalon ( http://www.avalonpens.com/ ). "A Pen Lovers Paradise" ( 866-588-7367 ) and "University Art, Palo Alto" ( (650) 328-3500 ) have a few in stock. The pens will be available from other dealers as well by the first week of February.

Venu

The main difference is that the piston features two (2) orings and the feed is a finned platic feed. The

suggested method of filling is as follows:

Venu, I was asking about the pen that Jimmy James bought, apparently where you have to rotate the barrel and there is no knob?

Thanks!