Does Queen Elizabeth Use a Parker?

bluenotegrl

I was watching a PBS show on the Royals last night and they had the Queen writing at her desk. I could swear she was using a Parker 51.

Anybody else see it? Was it a 51?

Cheers!

Bluenotegrl

Inky fingers are a sign of genius!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Check me out at bluenotegrl.blogspot.com

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• Aysedasi

• Beechwood

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was watching a PBS show on the Royals last night and they had the Queen writing at her desk. I could swear she was using a Parker 51.

Anybody else see it? Was it a 51?

Cheers!

If memory serves, I believe Parker has/had a royal warrant to deliver pens & ink to the royal family. However, as for solid evidence, I don't know. I've heard her father, George VI, used a Wyvern fountain pen, and gave them out as gifts.

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

Her Britannic Majesty Elizabeth II and the British Royal Household awarded Parker the Royal Warrant as its sole supplier of pens and inks in 1962. I understand The Queen prefers simple unadorned pens and one is always inked and waiting inside her famous multi-tasking purse.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Her Majesty uses a Burgundy Parker 51 which she has had since the 50'sit has a Gold-filled cap,[Not as some people might believe solid gold.] This is not my opinion, this is a fact.Don't ask me how I know, I just do O.K.?

Truffle Finder.

Her Majesty uses a Burgundy Parker 51 which she has had since the 50'sit has a Gold-filled cap,[Not as some people might believe solid gold.] This is not my opinion, this is a fact.Don't ask me how I know, I just do O.K.?

Truffle Finder.

Well, that is another pen on my list. I have a great deal of respect for Her Majesty.

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

Good for you,she's a great lady! Great taste in pens, pretty good taste in pretty well everything come to think of it! but then she can afford to be. It is a good job that she does have such a reliable fountain pen, virtually no need to be 'serviced'

just a quick flush-out periodically; particularly seeing as how Parker in their wisdom will not service pens over 15 years old. Although if they were ever confronted with a royal request to have a service done I'm sure that they would dig out one of their old employees to do it for her!!!

Truffle Finder.

So, Truffle Finder - we now consult you instead of The Oracle!!!???

Nice to know Her Maj uses Parkers, and I hear that she used a gold 'Raindrop' design for something important when she had to sign........but can you imagine her signing anything that wasn't important - silly me?!

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Holy cow!

My 51 is burgundy too!! Unfortunately (well not all that sad) I must say that the cap is steel. No gold.

BTW I have always called this thing "Ike". Guess I'll have to rename same.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The Conway Stewart site has a Testimonials page where Her Majesty The Queens accepts the gift of a CS.

Also Testimonials from Bill Clinton and Tony Blair

http://www.conwaystewart.com/testimonials.php?osCsid=0985f8e2c06b17a79bcc1f7f697ce4aa

Seems like a bit of social climbing and name dropping. I note, however, Her Majesty's concern that the pens be "...practical, working pens" and not "...more for decorative use"; good for her.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I'm sure Her Madge will accept any number of things by way of supporting British industry, but actually using them would be another matter. I think a modern Conway would be far too ostentatious, whereas a burgundy '51' Classic from the 50s would be about right - probably recently supplemented by 'something of Mummy's' - which in fact would be a Cross fountain pen!

I know this is quite shocking, but the Queen Mother (in spite of being mercilessly pestered ,as the royal family seem doomed to be, by Conway Stewart (poor soul, in her case they tried it on with a Plumage)) preferred a Cross for her crosswords. Moreover, for her 100th birthday party invitations, she chose American made Crane stationery! The UK has any number of quality papermakers, so as you can imagine, this information has made me go and have a lie down. Truly a scandal, Special Relationship notwithstanding. Thankfully, the Queen is a Smythson gal and quite right too.

JOhn

Very practical, no messing with flex and stub:

http://gabrieladelworth.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/800px-signature_of_elizabeth_ii-200.png

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Ok, now you have me wondering.

What happens if (now yes, I KNOW this is a 51 so it would be unlikely) Her Majesty's pen requires some repair? I wonder if Parker would tell HER, "We're sorry Your Majesty, but parts for your pen are no longer available, we'll be glad to send you this lovely Parker Sonnet as a replacment..." :lol:

I wonder if she just has a bleedin' trunk load of identical NOS ones to toss the bruised one like a bic and grab a new one if need be?

Perhaps there's a Royal Binder on retainer for her pen needs...

;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

While we're all being Anglophiles, here's more vintage footage of HM The Queen cut into 2006 BBC coverage from the Royal Albert Hall of the Last Night of the Proms - one of the best attended classical concerts on the planet. Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance March processes most American High Schoolers at Commencement Ceremonies. I doubt many realize they are graduating to the marshal strains of a British Anthem extolling the expansion of the Empire.

God made thee mighty - make thee mightier still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYgeETrkPs

Edited by yachtsilverswan

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Conway Stewart have a habit of trying to give gifts for the Royal Family. They are only after the Royal Warrant so they can use it in their marketing strategy to try and convince more people to buy one of their overpriced creations! Prince Charles politely refused one of their pens too, as the modern company does not seem to have a solid environmental policy, a subject close to the Prince's heart.

Ok, now you have me wondering.

What happens if (now yes, I KNOW this is a 51 so it would be unlikely) Her Majesty's pen requires some repair? I wonder if Parker would tell HER, "We're sorry Your Majesty, but parts for your pen are no longer available, we'll be glad to send you this lovely Parker Sonnet as a replacment..." :lol:

I wonder if she just has a bleedin' trunk load of identical NOS ones to toss the bruised one like a bic and grab a new one if need be?

Perhaps there's a Royal Binder on retainer for her pen needs...

;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

So that when you want your Parker 51 repaired by Parker (no laughing in the back) you can say, "if HM the Queen wanted her Parker 51 repairing, would you do it?"

"Yes of course, we have someone who has been here 35 years, he would repair it"

"well, hers is working fine, your man can fix my 51 whilst he has nothing to do"

Prince Charles politely refused one of their pens too...

Any evidence of this?

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Truffle Finder.

At the very end of the "Inside the Firm" episode, HM is seen writing up close (VERY up close) for maybe 3 seconds.

It does in fact appear to be with a burgundy P-51. (Can't verify the GFC, they only showed from the nib up a couple inches

to her fingers.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL