• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• Deirdre

• sunnerd

• setriode

thank you whichwatch.

Michael does your regular have a 14k nib?

I am starting to understand that the LEs, which came with the celluloid section (and gold ring on the cap, which to some extent make me prefer the regular), also came with 18k nibs (as also mentioned by Letizia Iacopini here https://www.tenpen.it/product/visconti-pontevecchio-pompei-blue), while the regular Pontevecchio, with the black section probably came with 14k nibs.

It is also very likely that the regular Pontevecchio were also sold with steel nibs (as mentioned in this blog https://penstylo.blogspot.com/p/visconti-ponte-vecchio.html) but I'm sure is such case they were goldtone.

In the course of time, I've come across several Pontevecchios on the bay with steel nibs, but was not sure whether they were cannibalized pens or not.

I can hardly believe the story the seller of my Adriatic told me, saying his father had always had it like that, with a chrome nib!...

but at the time of purchase I was not overly concerned, the price was very cheap, and I wanted the pen, and planned to restore it later.

It's getting quite a bit later... but I probably can now get hold of the steel goldtone nib. Will see for the 14k...

here is the ugly duckling with the chrome nib... (must take a better photo, slightly out of focus...)fpn_1600018781__p1150371-3_visconti_pont

Edited by sansenri

That's great info from the origin!

Thank you Fred

Btw, Neapolitan ice cream in N.Y., or in Naples? 😁

Edited by sansenri

This old thread made me pull out my set of the LE's which I keep on display in my bookcase because of their sheer beauty. As you can see in the pictures, the nibs are 18K gold. These are so great looking! I think my favorite part is the inlay of celluloid material on the top end of the finial.

14.png

Gorgeous pens!

Agree, the finial inlays are really nice.

Almost seems like I'm looking through a telescope at the galaxies.....

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 6 months later...

Some time afterwards, the mystery behind my Pontevecchio Adriatic stone has been clarified.

As I was saying a few posts above I could hardly believe the story the seller told me (rather annoyed at my question), that his father had always had it like that, with a chrome nib...

It's when I set out to find a replacement for the nib, and fortunately did, since Giardino Italiano had an odd gold plated nib left in stock (Susanna was not actually quite sure what pen it would fit, but as soon as I saw the feed I understood the nib was right), and I pulled the old nib out (not without some difficulties) that I found out that the original nib WAS gold plated, but had lost all the plating! below the collar it was still plated.

God knows what the seller's father did to this pen...

Anyhow, at least the nib is back to the original tone and the pen looks much better.

(a pity for the scratched section, but it does go to show the previous owner what not gentle with his pens...)

large.137381253_P1200206-3ViscontiAdriaticStone.jpg.8bd015c0f46315b1da93a98430ab8970.jpg

large.590031822_P1200207-3ViscontiAdriaticStone.jpg.7d3118bcf0ddab6c97b68c5d61e57db6.jpg

large.1390193953_P1200210-3ViscontiAdriaticStone.jpg.22924e5ddb9de696d348bac76e44c7f7.jpg