best fit pelikan

kareth

which is the best fit sized pelikan for a normal palm - (neither too small nor too big a hand)? Please be specific

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kareth

• Ray

• KCat

• Onion

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an impossible question, really, even if we could agree on what 'normal sized' meant. There are other factors, like strength of grip, how far up the section you hold a pen, what angle you write at, what girth your grip is best suited to (and this isn't necessarily related to hand size at all), what weight works best for you (ditto), where the centre of gravity works best for you (ditto, and also influenced by whether you write with the cap posted or unposted.)

There is absolutely no way to tell which is going to be best without trying them. If that just is not possible, then either decide not to use Pelikans until you can try them, or take a gamble. If you're taking a gamble, then go for a cheap M200. Most people report this is a comfortable pen to use.

This doesn't answer your question, but I don't think it is possible to answer your question. Sorry.

Ray

I have a Pelikan M200 and I would say that my hand is normal sized for a woman. The Pelikan M200 is a lightweight smaller FP and for my husband it's too small and lightweight, but for me it fits.

Like Ray said, without trying one before you buy, you have no way of knowing which one would fit your hand. But I hope this general comment helps a little.

I like the Pelikan M200, but I wouldn't say it was my favorite fp to use. My favorite is the Parker 51, and for a newer fountain pen I like the Waterman Phileas. Both fit my hand very nicely. I do not post my pens though, so that could be a consideration of my comments as well.

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

Ray is correct... You just have to try for size... I am small build ... I have the M250 and the M620 which is only slightly longer and thicker. But I find myself veering towards the M620 each time I am picking a FP from amongst the others.

Weight (heft) matters a lot too. Other brands like Montegrappas are very heavy. (beautiful FPs but too much pen for me)

You just have to try it out for yrself.

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

All of them.

It completely depends on you.

It also depends what you have gotten used to.

So anybody who answers you is wrong. You must see for yourself.

Kareth,

Maybe we can help you, what city do you live in? Maybe someone knows of a good pen shop near you and you can go in and try the pens for yourself.

I am a pretty big guy, with average size hands and I love my 200 and 215 pelikans. I use them more than any other pens in the last 6 months. The only pen that I have come close to using as much is my Waterman Phileas and that is because it has a cursive Italic nib.

That being said, you may absolutely hate the size of the 200/215 and the Phileas.

It is completely a personal decision. No one can tell you which is best for you, only you can make that call.

Let us help you find a place where you can try the pens in your own hands.

Kareth,

Maybe we can help you, what city do you live in? Maybe someone knows of a good pen shop near you and you can go in and try the pens for yourself.

I am a pretty big guy, with average size hands and I love my 200 and 215 pelikans. I use them more than any other pens in the last 6 months. The only pen that I have come close to using as much is my Waterman Phileas and that is because it has a cursive Italic nib.

That being said, you may absolutely hate the size of the 200/215 and the Phileas.

It is completely a personal decision. No one can tell you which is best for you, only you can make that call.

Let us help you find a place where you can try the pens in your own hands.

I am sorry to inform that i have no opportunity / chance to test a pen and then buy it. If i want to buy its only through ONLINE (asia).

This is an impossible question, really, even if we could agree on what 'normal sized' meant. There are other factors, like strength of grip, how far up the section you hold a pen, what angle you write at, what girth your grip is best suited to (and this isn't necessarily related to hand size at all), what weight works best for you (ditto), where the centre of gravity works best for you (ditto, and also influenced by whether you write with the cap posted or unposted.)

There is absolutely no way to tell which is going to be best without trying them. If that just is not possible, then either decide not to use Pelikans until you can try them, or take a gamble. If you're taking a gamble, then go for a cheap M200. Most people report this is a comfortable pen to use.

This doesn't answer your question, but I don't think it is possible to answer your question. Sorry.

Ray

I write with cap unposted and regarding the style of writing:

strength of grip - light

holding pen- at normal position (i.e. neither too near nor too far from the nib)

nib width - medium

I am sorry to inform that i have no opportunity / chance to test a pen and then buy it. If i want to buy its only through ONLINE (asia).

well, based on that I'd go with the lowest cost and hope for the best. Which would mean an M200 if you are limiting it to Pelikans in the Tradition/souveran line.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I write with cap unposted and regarding the style of writing:

strength of grip - light

holding pen- at normal position (i.e. neither too near nor too far from the nib)

nib width - medium

Seriously, listen. Whatever you write here is not going to enable someone to tell you which pen will suit you better. Please accept this is an art not a science.

But you seem determined to be advised, so here it is: KCat's right. Buy an M200. It'll cost you less than a quarter of what an M1000 will. Because most people think it's comfortable, you're likely to as well. And if not, you've wasted less money than if you'd bought the M1000 instead.

But what city are you in? There might be another FPN member nearby who can let you try one of theirs.

Ray

Like everybody said the besy way to know is to try but if I have to choose for a normal size hand I am going to take a risk and say the M600 would be a good choise.

I personly find the M800 to have the perfect combination for me.

Respect to all