Why Everyone in this Forum must get a Carene

emes441

First off, the nib is utterly smooth- no doubts about this.

It has a sleek design and always looks good.

But the kicker is that it will always be balanced in your hand- whether you post or don't. Balance is a function of where you grip the pen and the weight that is at the end of the pen. Since the nib is inlaid, and the section is relatively big, you can grip the pen basically anywhere on the section, making the pen well balanced in your hand.

Also, you can find this pen around the $100 mark (I got my Deluxe for around $95), not bad for a nice pen like this.

Now I know why GP has 7 of these babies.

-Srul

Edited by emes441

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• ballboy

• Deirdre

• argonavis

I sure do like mine!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I don't really know...to my my mind everyone should have at least one Filcao and one Diplomat(no not the MB) The Waterman finishes aren't that good even as you get into the expensive ones. I know what you mean but sorry....

Thanks

Absolutly agree. I have 3 in constant use. They are perfect user pens.

As for pelikan and other recomendations, well that is fine, but the origional comment was to all in this forum, the waterman forum.

Edit: I misspelt pelikan too, no really :-)

Edited by paulrbarnard

<SNIP>

Now I know why GP has 7 of these babies.

Don't worry, eventually GP will get on board and appreciate the Carene ;)

(Oh, and yes, they're wonderful pens at affordable prices.....and some of them, like the "Bronze/Gold", are spectacularly beautiful as well ;) )

I've owned several, and I never quite warmed to them. I tried, really I did. They feel stingy ink-wise, and it wasn't just the one, so I'm guessing that's just how they're made.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I had wanted one, but it just didn't feel quite right in my hand. Something about the grip.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I was briefly up to 8, but a fellow poster was Carene-less and that's a terrible thing, so it's back to 7. [For now]

I have a limited edition Carene Deluxe (with the highly coveted hunter green body and gold cap) that I absolutely love. I get more comments about this pen than any other fountain pen in my arsenal. Two of my colleagues, who are also fountain pen lovers and users, moaned with appreciable pleasure when trying it for the first time. One of my colleagues said caressingly: "My God, that's smooth."

Yeah, I agree. Everyone should own a Carene.

Todd

I tried a few Carene's out and found them to be well-balanced and smooth writers. Unfortunately, hooded or inlaid nibs just don't "do it" for me aesthetically. Such a shame because they have everything else going for them.

I have a limited edition Carene Deluxe (with the highly coveted hunter green body and gold cap) that I absolutely love. I get more comments about this pen than any other fountain pen in my arsenal. Two of my colleagues, who are also fountain pen lovers and users, moaned with appreciable pleasure when trying it for the first time. One of my colleagues said caressingly: "My God, that's smooth."

Yeah, I agree. Everyone should own a Carene.

Todd

Which one is the "Limited Edition" Carene Deluxe, exactly?

My Carene Deluxe has a green lacquer body and a gold plated brass cap. It was discontinued shortly after the blue lacquer body and silver plated cap with the gold trim was introduced. The green/gold had a very limited run, although I've never been able to discover why. In my eyes, it is one gorgeous pen, but then I've always been partial to green, especially this hunter green color. I keep hoping that I'll discover someone else in the Waterman forum who owns one of these babies, but I haven't yet had such luck. I keep trying. :P

Todd

I have 4 and love them both for their style and their writing (black, red, marine amber & sea green); not keen on the deluxe cap design though.

Glenn.

I am trying to find a deal on a Carene. Some posters mention you can find them for $80-100 online. I have only seen them for double that or more. Does anyone have any reccommendations?

JL

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Watermans in general seem to have incredibly Smoooooooth nibs--from the lowly Phileas/Kultur on up to the ritzier editions. I become more attached to the brand all of the time.....

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

I have one. Its a beautiful writer and I really enjoy that part.

The disadvantage is that it scratches easily. I don't have a solution for that

Chaim

Chaim Seymour

David Elazar 8

Givat Shemuel

Israel

I am trying to find a deal on a Carene. Some posters mention you can find them for $80-100 online. I have only seen them for double that or more. Does anyone have any reccommendations?

JL

Generally, that's a used price, though sometimes lewertowski's have gone that low on eBay.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I really need one of these, but unfortuently, it is a little to much for my price range

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo