Lookie lookie :)

jpolaski

I'm beginning to love this flea market that I go to, and the wife and I have now made it a weekly thing to go. We may be up early, but so far, it's been both fun, and really worth it. This was from today's haul.

http://static.flickr.com/75/185736691_c5dc7892dd_o.jpg

The first is a Parker "51" pencil. I'll apologize in advance, it seems the bright sunlight didn't do well for the colors...lol. It's a dark green color, and the people I bought it from said it was the matching pencil to the dove grey vac filler. I'm not too sure if this is true, and the plastic has stained, or if it is a completely different pencil, though the caps do match. It seems to have been melted in a spot. I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for a grey pencil, and do a cap swap when I can. Oddly enough, it's filled with RED lead. The eraser is there, and the movement is nice and smooth.

The second is a Dove grey vac Parker "51" with a really nice fine nib. The blue diamond doesn't look like it ever had enamel in it. The diaphragm seems to work well, and there are no leaks, but I'll be replacing it as soon as I pick up the tool, and a new one. I'm rather impressed with the color match, and fit of the blind cap on this one as well.

Third is a burgundy Parker "51" Special. I may have actually picked this up the week before, but I figure it came from the same spot, so I'm going to include it anyway ;). It has a gold nib, rather than an octanium, and a great polished stainless cap with the typical black jewel. The nib is a great medium that lays down a nice line.

Fourth is a Midnight Blue Aero "51" with Lustraloy cap. The nib was bent to hell and back, but I managed to straighten it out enough to lay down a line. It's going to be replaced soon. I just couldn't resist the color of this one, it's wonderful.

Last on the list, is a Sheaffer Snorkel. Not too sure of the model, it has a silver coloredTriumph nib that only says Sheaffers Made in USA. While a little scratchy, it lays down a nice line first time, every time. All it needed was a flush and fill. Again, it was the color that made me pick it up.

There were more there, but not enough funds to cover them all...this week :doh:. More next week ;) All in all though, not bad for a bit over $50... :D

"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older".

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• Johnny Appleseed

• JimStrutton

• jpolaski

Very nice finds! :rolleyes:

Had the same kind of luck on some Dutch auction sites recently... Two "51"'s. The caps were almost glued to the section by the ink, but they cleaned up very, very nicely. :D

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

Very very sweet deals indeed.....

I wish I could find stuff like that in the wild around here..

Of course we have a real big flea market the beginning of September I will be going to...

Welldone on some very nice finds! I have become a flea market regular of late, but haven't had your luck! Regards, John

Nice finds - CONGRATS!!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Last on the list, is a Sheaffer Snorkel. Not too sure of the model, it has a silver coloredTriumph nib that only says Sheaffers Made in USA. While a little scratchy, it lays down a nice line first time, every time. All it needed was a flush and fill. Again, it was the color that made me pick it up.

If the Snorkel has the palladium-silver nib, it's an aqua Statesman model. Very nice find, especially one that works after being found in the wild. If it were me though, I'd take the barrel off and make sure there's no ink/water leaking in there or it will rust out critical parts very quickly. The point seals tend to harden over time allowing liquid back there. I have only found 1 or 2 (out of 60+) that were restored in the past before I got them and even they needed restoration again....

But congrats on nice finds!

Steve

Just WOW, followed by :bonk: followed shortly after by :doh:

You even got Old Griz's attention, watch out he will be in your neighbourhood soon, once he has finished stripping UK eBay of anything worth having that is :(

J

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Just WOW, followed by :bonk: followed shortly after by :doh:

You even got Old Griz's attention, watch out he will be in your neighbourhood soon, once he has finished stripping UK eBay of anything worth having that is :(

J

HEY, I haven't bought a thing on eBay since 4July..... and I even did not bid on a pen that Ruaidhri was bidding on.

GEEZ, give a guy a break already :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Now jpolaski, where was it you said you lived again :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was wondering why you let this one go by.

Sheaffer Crest

BTW - that "Broad or Medium" in the description is actually a big fat stub.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Sheaffer Crest

John

WOW, I didn't see that one... or I would have bid on it.....

I have 2 TDs with fat medium nibs that are sweet and super smooth writers.. but way to broad for my style.... I will be bringing them to DC for sale.... or I might actually keep one and have Richard make it into a .6-.7 stub for me... that would be a sweet Sheaffer to have....

I'll post pics of this one. It is clearly a factory stub - no sign of re-grinding, and the platinum plating is intact. I bid on it with the intention of restoring and selling it, but not once I saw that nib. Now I will have to sell my other wide touchdown.

Nice Flea-market finds. I think there is a long history of great pens coming out of a famous Connecticutt Flea-market. . .

John

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I'll post pics of this one. It is clearly a factory stub - no sign of re-grinding, and the platinum plating is intact. I bid on it with the intention of restoring and selling it, but not once I saw that nib. Now I will have to sell my other wide touchdown.

Nice Flea-market finds. I think there is a long history of great pens coming out of a famous Connecticutt Flea-market. . .

John

How smooth is it.... is it a true smooth stub or more of an italic stub that can catch if you don't get the sweet spot just right....

Sheaffer Crest

John

I have 2 TDs with fat medium nibs that are sweet and super smooth writers.. but way to broad for my style.... I will be bringing them to DC for sale.... or I might actually keep one and have Richard make it into a .6-.7 stub for me... that would be a sweet Sheaffer to have....

Hey Griz, are you losing your touch?

:roflmho: :ltcapd:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Sheaffer Crest

John

Hey Griz, are you losing your touch?

:roflmho: :ltcapd:

No just my discretionary funds.... :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

However, I did get a real nice looking Sheaffer Brown Stripe Vac fill desk set with a brown stripe funnel.... for under $30 shipped yesterday... so I don't feel all that bad... :) :)

How smooth is it.... is it a true smooth stub or more of an italic stub that can catch if you don't get the sweet spot just right....

Smooooth baby - this one is a stub.

If only I had a large-size o-ring (oh vintagepens.com . . .)

(but it works as a twist-filler while I am waiting).

John

- Dr Suess

Smooooth baby - this one is a stub.

If only I had a large-size o-ring (oh vintagepens.com . . .)

(but it works as a twist-filler while I am waiting).

John

OK Johnny, now your starting to tick me off... :P :P :P

Fantastic.... if you make it to the DC Show, bring it with you, I would love to see how it writes....

Actually Griz, I still ahve that catalog I picked up for you, and the pen I need you to repair...work has kept me from the post office. Now if I remember correctly, you live in MD.... it just so happens that I have to take a load of corrugated steel pipes down to Baltimore Monday...care to meet up for lunch or some such?

As for my neighborhood...sorry pal. I've got enough competition up here, what with Myrna & Gary Lehrer living one town over... :P

"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older".