Reform 1745 - review

goodguy

This is a review on a cheap pen that holds all the charestaristics I like in a pen.

First this is a pen that you buy if you want the best for the buck.

I got this pen as a gift at the TPS but Ithink it will cost around 10$-15$.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture005-7.jpg

The pen is rather small and thin but light weight and well balanced.

If you dont need a big pen in your hands then this is a good cheap pen for you.

It is a piston filler and holds a rather suprising large amount of ink.

Its got a big ink view window which is both cool and practical.

The two tone nib is F in size.

The pen does feel cheap but not fragile in any way.

The plastic feels strong but basic and so is the overall quality of the pen.

The piston is very rigid and hard to operate.

The nib is not the smoothest but it is working well and answer all you would expect from a basic beginers pen.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/Picture006-11.jpg

Conclusion

If you want a perfect beginers pen or a pen to take with you and not worry about scratching or loosing it then this pen is for you.

It works well, has a piston filler that holds a lot of ink.

If you want more then a basic pen then look elsewhere, the piston is rough and the nib could be a bit smoother and the overall quality isnt impressive.

For the price I think this is a pretty good deal.

Respect to all

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• goodguy

• pmsalty

• rjdsc

I have one that was smoothed by JJBlanche & both the nib and the piston are quite smooth.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

lol, I saw this one in person. It was kind of overshadowed by the MB hemingway, right?

Anyway, I use this pen at school, it's pretty good as it holds quite a bit of ink.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

thanx for the review GG!

i find mine way too scratchy. it took a lot of smoothing on a milard film to get it to write OK.

oh, and you're right about the piston being rough. it's hard to turn.

compare to my wality 77d, which i bought for $5.99, the R1745 is junk!!!

Edited by lovemy51

I have one and I think they are great, I just wish they did them in other colours than green! All black would have been way better...

I have one that was smoothed by JJBlanche & both the nib and the piston are quite smooth.

Me too ... When these pens get just a little prep they are terrific. I have two of them that have been smoothed and the pistons work just as they should. Mine are ever ready writers that never skip and write on the wet side. These are great for carry around pens and to keep inked with accent colors. Lately, I've had one of these inked in Private Reserve Sherwood Green. I don't use it daily but when I want to highlight something or make notes in the margins of a report, my trusty 1745 is there and ready.

I've got one too. I like it a lot, it writes perfectly.

I also have another R1745, but without a nib. Does anyone knows which nib / which brands of nibs fit on a Reform 1745?

Ditto! I have filled mine with Noodler's Widow Maker and use it as a correction pen and signature pen for employee records. Works great!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Ditto! I have filled mine with Noodler's Widow Maker and use it as a correction pen and signature pen for employee records. Works great!

PMS

Yes! JJBlanche does a superb job indeed. I wish I could buy more from him.

I have some Reform 1745 pens from him and they work very smoothly. These pens are workhorses. I use them every single day.

They also love Parker Quink blue-black ink.

RJC