My grandfather's Parker 51

Nimrud

When my mother found out about my fountain pen hobby a few weeks back, she mentioned she had some old fountain pens lying around somewhere and asked me whether I wanted them. I said sure.

Today, mum gave me an old gilded tin with a bunch of old pens in it. The first one I picked up was a Parker 51, a gift to my grandfather apparently, which had been handed down to my dad. It was dusty from being left there for decades and my first thought was maybe I would have to take it to a pen repairer to get it working. I decided to clean it up a bit, and it looked like the ink sac still worked.

Hmmm... I thought, why not just fill it up and try it. I had a bottle of Quink black lying around which I don't use much. Quite an appropriate ink for a 51, so I filled it up. Lo and behold! It wrote! It made a nice fine line, not too wet and not dry either. The nib was smooth, though not buttery smooth. The pen felt comfortable posted and unposted. Wonderful! What an unexpected find. A pen from my grandfather, whom I have never met.

I am having a great pen week. :D

Edited by Nimrud

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nimrud

• JimStrutton

• FLZapped

• DavidM1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great to hear this. Isn't it amazing how durable the aero 51s are? Enjoy it.

David

PS what colour is it?

DavidM1

Very nice :D

And with a family history too,

Enjoy using the "51"

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Wow, neat story. In my case, I received my grandfather's Parker 21 pen and pencil set directly. Still has the original sac and it has to be at least 50 years old now.

-Bruce

Nice. Here it was a Parker 75 given to my grandfather who has given it to my mother (never inked/dipped) and I use it :P

What a wonderful heirloom to have. My uncle scooped up my grandfather's Parker Duofold. He left me the desk base, for some reason. I hope to reunite them at some point.

I have been told by my father that he found some old family fountain pens and he's promised to give them to me. I can't wait to see what they are.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

What a nice piece of your family history to always cherish. You have a beautiful Parker 51, hold on to it! :D

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

It's pretty special to get a pen that was your Grandfather's. Getting A Parker 51 that was your Grandfather's is cosmic! Enjoy. :)

Edited by krz

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

I guess its totally fitting for such a treasure to come in its own Treasure Box :lol:

Great Find!! My father told me that he might have some of his old fountain pens lying around back home overseas. Can't wait to dig them up and see what they are :) He looked at the Hero 100s and Parker 51s and said they looked very familiar to him *fingers crossed* :)

That Quink is a bit of a vintage item itself, Parker stopped making the Solv-X stuff about 12 years ago, but it should help clean that "51" out a bit.

Now you have got it going, give it a good flushing and it will behave even better :D

Amazing how robust the "51" Aero is.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Congrats! Very nice keepsake. Looks like the pen is in excellent condition. Beautiful gold cap. Enjoy it, and thanks for sharing.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)