No-flow from refilled Platinum Preppy

Flounder

Any idea on how to flush the feed on the preppy?

Remove the nib and remove the section (could be done either order) and then rinse for a few seconds with the cartridge/converter nip facing up (or down, I can't remember, but the water should be able to pass right through fairly easily) and then leave it soaking in a cup of water over night. That should get it clear.

I thought I'd add a comment/warning to this thread about preppy's. I recently washed mine out (just as you say above) and thought I'd speed the drying process with a hair dryer. BAD IDEA! The heat apparently melted the gray plastic in the nib section and the nib would not go back in. I won't ever do that again. wallbash.gif

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• Chthulhu

• dcwaites

• mooshi

Very similar problem with my platinums. I bought a Plaisir 03(F), and a Preppy 02(EF). My reasoning with this was that I'd get a chance to see what the EF was like and if I liked it a lot I'd swap it out to my Plaisir, as that is a more substantial pen. Both started out great with the supplied ink cartridge. After writing a line or two it would stop writing. This happens with BOTH of them. I would have expected the 02 to write drier because it is so fine, but with the 03 I'm getting the same thing. I didn't expect to get the same problem with both of them. I've just flushed both of them and waiting for them to dry before popping the cartridges back on. Something like this could put me off Platinums for good. I'm glad I didn't plunk down a lot of cash for these, but it is a little aggravating, regardless of how much I spent. I looked through most of the comments posted here and I'm not holding out much hope of resolving this issue. Just cross my fingers and hope the flush worked. I'd hate to toss them.

I use 02 and 03 Preppy pens and I refil the carts. I currently have Iroshizuku Yama-Budo in one and KWZI Azure #4 in another. I don't have any issues with flow. I rinse the section clean using water and a bulb syringe to flush the ink through the section. I hold a paper towel against the nib to allow water to be pulled from the section. I don't wait for the sections to dry, I fill the cart with ink and put it on the pen. I then put the nib against the paper towel to allow watered down ink to flow and write with it until the color comes back. It doesn't take long and you can speed that up with the damp paper towel.

If nothing else, unscrew the pen, take the cartridge off and push it back on to prime the pen.

Good luck.

I converted 2 Preppies to eye-droppers with Waterman serenity blue and Pelikan violet inks. No flow issues after several refills. I wonder if "more" ink from the eye-dropper will help improve the flow.

• 2 years later...

I had that issue with mine. I just dipped the tip in water and it started. ;) Sometimes it calls for a little wetness or paper towel to get the ink to start running

I have been refilling my Preppies for almost 2years with different inks and no problems at all. They may not flow most readily with some inks at first but a bit of help (squeezing the cartridge, priming the nib with a convertor, and/or shaking) usually works. The only complaint is they are abit dry for Rhodia paper, I add just a smear Kodak Photoflo to some inks for writing pleasure but it is not necessary if you use absotbent papers :)