Melbourne Pen Group

skybird

Well the show is over and here is preliminary notice for the Melbourne Pen Group's meeting in December.

"

Hi All,

Delightful to meet the FPN people on the weekend. Thanks to Nicholas for organising the Saturday tour & dinner. I am glad to see the positive feedback from all. For Melbourne people, we do phisically meet every second month for dinner & talk on a pen related subject of some sort. We meet at the Tower Hotel, 686 Burwood Road, Hawthorn East at 6.30pm., the next being Monday 7th December, would be nice to see some new faces.

Yours in Ink,

Peter Hickman.

"

I'm looking to get a paper person to give us a bit of a talk on writing papers and - of course - ink...........

Edited by skybird

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• skybird

• Parker Pete

• shrinknib

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I could be there Peter, but I will be thinking of you all enjoying another get-together with pens and paper!!

Can you report back on your guest speaker later please?

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Dear Skybird, Parker Pete, et.al.;

Barring other events or a major catastrophe, I *will* try and make it to your next pen meeting. See Max? Enough pestering and yes, I will show up. I hope I have a fun time.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Barring other events or a major catastrophe, I *will* try and make it to your next pen meeting. See Max? Enough pestering and yes, I will show up. I hope I have a fun time.

Good, we won't bring any ink.........

Hopefully I will have my level lock Parker and a baby 16 turban top come in from the States.

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

May try, but.... those pesky roadworks on the freeway are a real time waster

How so? After the pen show, I was trying to get to Sydney, and I almost found myself in Queenscliffe as a result of those roadworks. It should be dead easy to get to Geelong!

Good, we won't bring any ink.........

Hopefully I will have my level lock Parker and a baby 16 turban top come in from the States.

LOL!!

That's alright Max. I shall bring my own ink.

Duncan Alexander from Dragon Papers is coming to talk to us on Monday 7th

Bring pens (and ink Shangas).

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

• 2 weeks later...

Can I bring my whole collection (or at least, what I dare to show off!), to your next meeting?

Its all good.We will have the paper talk and you may want to leave something in reserve?? Fully up to you.One week to go!

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

Bump.

Monday is soon and my level lock as not arrived and nor will it get here in time ;-)

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

Bump.

Monday is soon and my level lock as not arrived and nor will it get here in time ;-)

I've been told it will be here Monday arvo - but I don't quite believe this - we shall see!

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

Recovering from a cold (Dagnammit!) but should be alright to attend Pen-meet on Monday evening. Just a minor inconvenience (the blocked nose, not the pen-meet!); look forward to meeting you again, Max! And ParkerPete...and...the others, who I probably haven't met yet.

Duncan Alexander from Dragon Papers came to talk to us last night.

I think a little "end of year" syndrome happened and the group wasn't as large as it should have been.

Shangas arrived for the first time with some amazing pens too!

Duncan's talk was very interesting and the best part is that he left the door open for us as his next talk will be on Vintage Paper. Didn't think there was such a concept.

He kindly presented us with some samples of high quality writing paper, which to someone who grew up writing with a pen at school and later on photocopy paper and paper pads, was a total eye opener.

We were treated to info from how paper is made, recycled, treated, watermarked, cut, used and so much more. Fibres, processing, coating were all discussed.

I couldn't even begin to summarise this - you shoulda all been there!

Perhaps the most interesting aspect was the culture issue with respect to paper and pens.

Did you know that fountain pens were compulsory in Japanese schools to a certain level?

Did you know prayers in Japan are written - the better the pen and paper, the better the prayer?

I knew there was a high end pen market in Japan, but had no clue that there was a related high end paper market too.

Roll on the vintage talk next year - maybe even for our first meeting in Feb - watch this space!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU DUNCAN!

Edited by skybird

Sic Transit Gloria

"Gloria gets seasick"

Aww shucks Max, they weren't that special...But glad you liked the pens anyway. I tried to pick some which were special or representative of something. I had a really nice time, despite the small group.