"I'd Like to Have an Argument, Please"

Aysedasi

For you, Frazer:

[Brian is writing graffiti on the palace wall. The Centurion catches him in the act.]

Centurion: What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go, the house?

Brian: It says, "Romans go home. "

Centurion: No it doesn't ! What's the Latin for "Roman"? Come on, come on !

Brian: Er, "Romanus" !

Centurion: Vocative plural of "Romanus" is?

Brian: Er, er, "Romani" !

Centurion: [Writes "Romani" over Brian's graffiti] "Eunt"? What is "eunt"? Conjugate the verb, "to go" !

Brian: Er, "Ire". Er, "eo", "is", "it", "imus", "itis", "eunt".

Centurion: So, "eunt" is...?

Brian: Third person plural present indicative, "they go".

Centurion: But, "Romans, go home" is an order. So you must use...?

[He twists Brian's ear]

Brian: Aaagh ! The imperative !

Centurion: Which is...?

Brian: Aaaagh ! Er, er, "i" !

Centurion: How many Romans?

Brian: Aaaaagh ! Plural, plural, er, "ite" !

Centurion: [Writes "ite"] "Domus"? Nominative? "Go home" is motion towards, isn't it?

Brian: Dative !

[the Centurion holds a sword to his throat]

Brian: Aaagh ! Not the dative, not the dative ! Er, er, accusative, "Domum" !

Centurion: But "Domus" takes the locative, which is...?

Brian: Er, "Domum" !

Centurion: [Writes "Domum"] Understand? Now, write it out a hundred times.

Brian: Yes sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.

From imdb.com

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• ethernautrix

• lapis

• Chthulhu

Exactly! Thank you for that, I am chuckling as I type. Any Latin student who can't appreciate that is, well...

I helped index the the 1940 US census

P.S. My favorite MP movie is The Life of Brian.

I think my favourite is the one with Mr. Puke.

Mike

Mike, if my memory serves me right, he's actually called Mr. Creosote - but I've no idea why! Perhaps his rather unpleasant ability to spray fences......? ;)

I've been a Python fan all my life and it never ceases to amaze me (and make me smile) how people of all ages seem to relate to Python humour. I remember watching MPFC when it first aired on the BBC - my parents detested it - which automatically meant that I'd be bound like it! I remember going to see 'Holy Grail' at the 'pictures' here when it was first released and nearly crying myself sick with laughter. The truly great sketches like 'Parrot', 'Eric the Half Bee', 'Spanish Inqusition' and so on were great comedy - and very clever comedy too, but it's some of the really stupid stuff that always makes me laugh - like 'Ministry of Housinge?' - 'It was spelled like that on the van - I'm very observant....' Cracks me up every time!

I just hope the pen doesn't crack me up when it arrives!

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Kind of funny, I'm reading this thread and watching 'The meaning of life', which is currently on on swiss television. Nice coincidence :-) I should go to bed, but I just can't stop watching it, it's so much fun, no matter how often one is watching it...

Right now the scene in the dungeon: "Would you like to talk about the meaning of life, dear?"

Have fun, Günther

Edited by GPaesold

Mike, if my memory serves me right, he's actually called Mr. Creosote - but I've no idea why! Perhaps his rather unpleasant ability to spray fences......?

You remind me of me myself. (Sorry.) But it's exactly the same with The Marx Brothers, Alfred Hitchcock and Jim Bond. I've seen them all, love them all, but often forget which film title belongs to which scene.

Like the MPFC scene where a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman gets hurled at with rotten eggs. Or that film where cows or goats were thrown out of a high castle fortress (in same film an arm was chopped off and sprouted blood).

Crass

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

My all-time favorite "Flying Circus" episode is the one where the blancmange aliens are turning everyone into Scotsmen so that they can win Wimbledon (because, as everyone knows, Scotsmen can't play tennis).

"Angus Podgorny, what DO y'mean??"

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

I'm partial to the flying sheep sketch.

"Notice they do not so much fly, as plummet."

-mike

"...Madness takes its toll."

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4954883548_bb6177bea0_m.jpghttp://www.clubtuzki.com/sites/default/files/icon24.gifhttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/5152062692_8037fd369c_t.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5152115656_e8d75849f1_t.jpg

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." – J.R.R. Tolkien

• 2 weeks later...

OK people, time to resurrect the thread and, dare I say - to be sensible for a moment? (It definitely goes against the grain for a Python fan.....)

The connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition has arrived.....

Oops, sorry, I mean the Argument has arrived!

It took a full 2 weeks to get to me in the UK from Luxembourg. The seller has been mailing me for the last 3-4 days asking me if it has arrived - very good communications.

Not a review as such, but first impressions. This is a really neat little pen. It's pretty small, less than 12.5 cms capped but decent P51'ish girth. In very good condition, not a sign of any ink ever having been inside it. Very clear imprint, no scratches or gouges anywhere and no brassing to speak of. A plain steel nib marked 'STAINLESS' and 'USA' with what I took to be a fine point. (But most of you know by now that my penchant for big nibs means that anything under a broad is fine to me!).

Tested the piston filler with water. Nice easy movement of the piston - no sign of leaks (or any previous ink for that matter). For a little pen, it takes a lot of liquid in! Left it for a while and no signs of any leaks or any failure of the seal. In for a penny in for a pound, inked it up. I thought it was slight scratchy at first until I realised to my surprise that it has (to my pleasure as well) some italic qualities to it (sorry, I can't explain that any better!). I soon found the substantial sweet spot and it writes beautifully, fluidly - even on dodgy paper. And I'd actually describe the line as being fine to medium.

I really like the pen which was well worth the small outlay and the two-week wait. Here's a writing sample - but you have to forgive my writing, which is only marginally better than Gordon Brown's......

I've added again the two photos which Photobucket decided to remove.....

So I now really do have time for an Argument...... in between my hitting people on the head lessons, that is!!

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/Aysedasi/argument1.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/Aysedasi/argument2.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/Aysedasi/argument3.jpg

By the way, I now notice that the seller of this pen had another Argument for sale at the same time which didn't sell - perhaps I might be tempted to contact him about it......

That look like a nice writer, Aysedasi. And the tip appears to be a stub -- at a guess, it's a heavy medium crosswise, and a fine or so the other way, call it around 2:1 line width variation, which is a nice range for a stub. Should be pleasant to use.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Yes, very nice to use - I'll give it a good 'track test' at work today! But that out of focus tip is slightly misleading making it look more stubbed than it really is. But there are definitely some stubbish/italic qualities there.

Edited by Aysedasi

I'm paticulaly fond of Pontius Pilate and his fwiend. I find it quite wisible.

I think like the tv show best. Has anyone mentioned "A fish called Wanda" yet? Not quite a Python movie, either, but who cares. I rather liked Ken's convoluted assination schemes and the foreign languages sex scene.

So, what have the Romans ever done for us? Has to be one of my favouries...

Ah, but then I am forgetting the cartoon of the little old lady waiting at the bus stop.

After two busses fail to stop for her, she sticks out her leg as the third comes along, and trips it up!

But, neat little pen. The say the pen is mightier than the sword, and who would have thought that an argument pen could provoke such a discourse!

Chris

Sometimes my time is too precious to waste it for taking part in an argument.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

But, neat little pen. The say the pen is mightier than the sword, and who would have thought that an argument pen could provoke such a discourse!

Chris

And this is, most definitely, a great little pen. And probably the best pen I've ever bought for so little money. It writes like a dream. I've used it all day including all afternoon taking notes of evidence in a courtroom where reliability and ease of use is essential - an absolute joy to use. My P51s could well be taking a back seat to this little marvel for some time to come!

And so much for the snobbery surrounding steel (as opposed to gold) nibs. This nib is as smooth as any nib I've ever written with. :)

Edited by Aysedasi

And this is, most definitely, a great little pen. And probably the best pen I've ever bought for so little money. It writes like a dream. I've used it all day including all afternoon taking notes of evidence in a courtroom where reliability and ease of use is essential - an absolute joy to use. My P51s could well be taking a back seat to this little marvel for some time to come!

And so much for the snobbery surrounding steel (as opposed to gold) nibs. This nib is as smooth as any nib I've ever written with. :)

I like your Argument, Aysedasi!

Also, hear, hear re: steel nibs. It doesn't matter what the nib is made of, as long as it writes the way I like. I have great gold nibs and unimpressive gold nibs; same with steel. The steel nib on my Stipula Vedo is smooth and fabulous! Ditto the steel nib of the Delta Scrigno, but the Vedo's is wetter, thus smoother.

I'm glad you're happy with your Argument. Hooray!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a nice pen but sadly the nib is a replacement. The original nib is a nifty wrap around feed number which slip fits snugly into the section as one unit. Still, a great buy for 10 euros!