The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Bologna

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:55

This is a review of the Omas Bologna in black cotton resin. I picked this pen up in Paris, France while on honeymoon at half retail price along with an Omas Emotica also half off. Two Omas pens for the price of one! A review of the Emotica is forthcoming.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Having only seen the current acrylic Bologna with metal section the cotton resin version was something of a surprise, and a pleasant one at that. The large pen has a generous section for a comfortable grip. Even though large the material is light so the pen is well balanced if not posted. Aside from being lightweight the cotton material has good thermal properties feeling warm in the hand quite unlike acrylic. The pen feeds from a bottle via a supplied converter imprinted with the Omas name.

Posted Image

The 14 k nib is stamped as a medium but it writes a rather fine line. And what a nib it is. The bologna is fitted with Omas’s duo-tone portico nib representing the signature architectural feature of Bologna, the home city of Omas. There are over 40 km of porticos (arcades) in Bologna and some date back a thousand years. The nib is supplied by an ebonite feed and is rather expressive. Light pressure yields a fine line whose width does not vary in down or cross strokes. Heavier pressure on down strokes, however, can easily double line width. Although not flexible per se the nib is soft enough to allow one to interject some character into their umm characters. Ink flow is neither wet nor dry, just exactly what is required.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The endcap is fitted with a jewel that is a silhouette of a man and woman. Evidently it is “institutional image of the 1930’s”, whatever that means.

Posted Image

Aside from the jewel the only other accents are the cap band, the clip, and two thin metal bands on the body of the pen. These are shiny but not sterling silver. The substantial but not ridiculously huge cap band is etched “Omas Italy” with the familiar Omas snake design. The attractive clip is also highly functional. The cap does not post well, and it throws off the balance so much you won’t want post anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was my first Omas (I bought the Emotica a few days later) and an excellent find, especially for about 120 Euros. Matte black, sleek, and stylish the nib is a joy, and the size is perfect for me. As an aside, the feed required some extensive cleaning before ink flow was made consistently good. Evidently, it had been tested many times but never purchased. If you see one don’t hesitate to pick it up.

Sponsored Content

#2 CraigR

CraigR

Bibliophile, Writer and Philosopher

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:38

Thanks for a great review. I also have this pen and like it a lot. In fact, it is the pen I am using today. I ran out of ink while away from my bottled ink and inserted an international cartridge I had with me (after removing the converter) and kept on writing. Sounds like you got a great deal on a very nice pen. /Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words. 

Blog -   https://agiftforwords.wordpress.com/

Magazine - http://www.faithonev...m/magazine.html

#3 bugmd

bugmd

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:17

Thanks for the very nice review. I love these pens, dare I say it, possibly my favorite modern Italian pens. My first was the black celluloid with the gold veins and it has been downhill since. Some folks object to the metal nib section but it does not bother me.
A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

#4 lecorbusier

lecorbusier

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:29

Thanks for the review! I think you captured the textural character of the cotton resin really well, which seems to me a unique one. A wonderful price for a brand new pen.

I don't mind it being tested; after all, you know that's the one that works!
AAA

#5 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,201 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:59

Nice review of a nice pen.
The "institutional image" has been used for years by Omas
Posted Image
including on the nib of the sterling Omas Club pen.
gary
ps-what did you buy your new spouse on your honeymoon?

#6 PatientType

PatientType

Enjoying the Journey

• Member - Gold

• 1,886 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2009 - 17:17

You spent your honeymoon in Paris visiting pen shops? I thought I was bad. But no... Fountain Pen Network should issue an annual award to the person most obsessed. You'd be my nominee. "Dear, I know we're in Paris on our honeymoon and we've just finished a nine hour flight to be here. Yes, I know that it's our first night together as man and wife and I do love you dearly. But, I think I saw a sale sign at the little fountain pen store we passed on Boulevard de Bonne and I'm going to run over there. They might have Omas pens included in the 50% special. I wouldn't spend more than a few hundred dollars for a pen. Well... unless I buy two. But, there's a television downstairs in the hotel lobby, perhaps you could amuse yourself there?"

#7 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2009 - 17:47

Nice review and almost enough to get me to consider a new OMAS.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#8 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 22:36

Nice review of a simple design with a great materials choice. This pen is somewhat unique in that the finish is not hard and shiny, but more frosted giving it a nice, tasteful professional tool pen look to it.

#9 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 940 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:26

You spent your honeymoon in Paris visiting pen shops? I thought I was bad. But no... Fountain Pen Network should issue an annual award to the person most obsessed. You'd be my nominee. "Dear, I know we're in Paris on our honeymoon and we've just finished a nine hour flight to be here. Yes, I know that it's our first night together as man and wife and I do love you dearly. But, I think I saw a sale sign at the little fountain pen store we passed on Boulevard de Bonne and I'm going to run over there. They might have Omas pens included in the 50% special. I wouldn't spend more than a few hundred dollars for a pen. Well... unless I buy two. But, there's a television downstairs in the hotel lobby, perhaps you could amuse yourself there?"

Yeah, I'm a pen (bleep). My wife bought clothes and I bought pens. There are some pretty decent pen stores in Paris.

#10 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 940 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:32

Nice review of a nice pen.
The "institutional image" has been used for years by Omas
Posted Image
including on the nib of the sterling Omas Club pen.
gary
ps-what did you buy your new spouse on your honeymoon?

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

My wife bought clothes, lots of clothes. Not quite haute couture but close.

#11 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2009 - 14:22

nice pen :) thanks for the review
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#12 dandelion

dandelion

reality always trumps fiction

• Member - Gold

• 1,828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2009 - 18:36

The endcap is something special - I really like that kind of details.

Edited to add that Bologna is a lovely city - well worth a visit.

Edited by dandelion, 30 October 2009 - 18:48.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****
*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

#13 europen

europen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 23:32

Am replying almost a decade after this thread began (how flies time) but my understanding is that the Bologna model pictured is epoxy resin -- hence the matte finish.

My Magnum 360 and my Ogiva are both cotton resin and the material of the Bologna Extra is of a profoundly different nature -- the feel, texture, weight, handling qualities are quite different.

It may be that the epoxy mixture was added to the resin to create the material.

The model pictured is intended, if I'm not overly gullible in what I've been told, to recall the old Gentleman Extra's that were an OMAS feature in its early decades.

No pic posted because the ones put up by the OP do the job nicely. My Extra is exactly alike except I paid full price. 

One of the great late OMAS pens.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

Sponsored Content

|