Staples Bagasse Paper Questions

withoutink

Ok, I saw in one of the other threads here about the Bagasse paper being discontinued. Im new to all of this, and figure I best buy some of this if its available locally, before its all gone.

How do I tell what the Bagasse paper is? I looked in the store the other day and didnt see any with that name. I looked for an employee but everyone was busy, and the family was slightly irritated in the car. So, I didn't have time to waste.

Any help in informing ma as to how I can ID this stuff? Ill hit one or two staples tomorrow....

Thanks in advance...

Edited by withoutink

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• withoutink

• JakobS

• Marek Badzynski

• mikej165

The paper is called Eco Friendly Paper, and it will say it is sugarcane based somewhere on the pack or notebooks. The notebooks will describe the paper a bit more on their front inside cover. They either have a brown kraft like front sheet (filler paper) or back and front covers (notebooks). The filler paper comes in 100 sheets. The notebooks have some really neat designs with lines, and flowers, and such. Hope this helps!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

As far as I can make reading the Staples-Bagasse threads, not ALL the bagasse has been discontinued, only the filler paper (loose sheets, lined, punched).

All the rest is remaining available, so if you use pads, composition books or other Eco-Friendly stuff, they are here to stay, at last for now. My local store keeps them all together in an Eco-Friendly display at the end of the isle; look for browny craft-type covers

If you like it buy some stock quickly, new postings indicate paper quality is not very consistent :(

YMMV

Marek

No filer paper at the three staples near me. I picked up an 8 pack of legal pads though =)

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

No filer paper at the three staples near me. I picked up an 8 pack of legal pads though =)

Legal pads!, so far I've only seen the spiral bound and composition pad style which I like. Seems like its another trip to a Staples.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I bought a couple of the Eco Friendly legal pads and they are FP friendly. But I noticed that my Lamy Vista and Pelikano seem to feel more scratchy on them than on other types of paper. Is this common of Eco Friendly Bagasse paper???

I bought a couple of the Eco Friendly legal pads and they are FP friendly. But I noticed that my Lamy Vista and Pelikano seem to feel more scratchy on them than on other types of paper. Is this common of Eco Friendly Bagasse paper???

Not in my limited experience -- I haven't done much writing in my Eco-Friendly comp books and pads yet, but I'm using one of the comp books as my ink book, and it certainly doesn't seem scratchy to me (this with every single pen I own and all five PR and Noodler's inks I currently have, as well as a dip pen and homemade iron-gall ink).

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

I've used the loose leaf paper and just don't see what the excitement is about. It writes no better than ordinary notebook paper, worse, actually IMHO, but of course YMMV.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 11 months later...

Is there a paper like the Eco friendly line but plain white printer paper that comes in reams?

"Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into the enemy's strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit."

Is there a paper like the Eco friendly line but plain white printer paper that comes in reams?

Canefields. I haven't tried it. http://www.earth-centric.com/servlet/Categories?$catalog.Start=1&$catalog.Total=4&category=CANEFIELDS%E2%84%A2+PAPER&searchpath=74387 or http://www.ecopaper.com/bagasse-sugar-paper-500-sheet-ream

Or direct from the manufacturer, only $1992.00 for a pallet of 80 five ream cartons! http://www.canefieldsusa.com/canefields_usa_sugarcane_paper_where_to_buy.html

I have nothing productive to add to this thread, but Bagasse has a very satisfying crackle when you're crumpling up a page of failed calculus proofs.

I love the Staples Eco paper. I use it almost exclusively in my writing. It handles my wettest pen and ink without bleed through. I've even used BSB on it without having it come through.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

When I first learned about Bagasse (via this forum), I ran out and bought a few pads. I liked it so much, I went back and bought a stack. Though the name has changed, they still sell the same paper, now under the Sustainable Earth brand. A few days ago I bought a few of the composition notebooks. I'm quite delighted with them. At about $2.50/ea., I can buy 8 of these for the price of one Habana. Yes, the Habana isn't in the same league, but for fountain pens I'd say this is the poor man's choice. The paper is smooth, almost never bleeds (except for occasionally, with 9/10 broad nib) and has little enough show through that both sides can be used comfortably.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a winner. It has become my journal of choice. I wish they made it in a pocket size.