Your Current Top 5 Pens

Rafal

Hi All,

I thought it would be interesting to see what are everyone's top 5 favourite pens in your collection. No other qualifiers other than they have to be a part of your collection and they have to be your favorites. If you want, feel free to say why they are your favourites.

I'll start:

1 - Aurora 88 (modern with a piston filler) - It was a gift from my wife, plus I's a very elegant, high quality, well writing pen

2- Parker Vacumatic - I love the look,color, feel and the nib

3- Parker 51 cordovan brown with a gold cap (XF) - I seem to be reaching for it most often lately

4 - Sheaffer Snorkel - Such a a lovely surprise. I thought it would be too narrow but it fits perfectly and has a such a nice, smooth wet nib

5 - Parker P51 slender - My 4 year old daughter gave it to me with an engraving "I love you to the galaxies and back"

What is your top 5?

Rafal

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Albert Einstein

My Artwork

My Pen Club

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgoto

• jar

• rinellatony

• Cryptos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1931 burgundy/black streamline Parker Duofold Jr. - beautiful pen that writes a consistent, wet, fine line every time it touches paper

blue stripe Pelikan 800 - comfortable size pen with a fantastic fine nib--makes writing fun!

old style black Omas Paragon - the fine nib is very different than the 800: finer, softer, more expressive, and every bit as delightful to use

green auroloide Aurora Optima - a Father's Day gift in 1998, beautiful materials, excellent design and construction, and Aurora makes one of the best medium nibs available today

1927 black Sheaffer Flat Top - gift in 2004 from a friend whose grandfather bought the pen new, the best fine nib I think I have ever used

1. Sheaffer Touchdown Desk pen (M, Triumph Nib): This pen just writes great everytime no matter what and it is the most comfortable pen to hold.

2. Pilot VP, M: This pen is great to write with and it fits my grip perfectly. The nib is just how I like it: smooth with the slightest bit of resistance. I use this pen all the time.

3. Stipula Vedo, M: This pen holds a TON of ink and is a comfortable husky little pen.

4. Esterbrook Js, various nibs: These pens are incredibly versatile and they feel great in the hand.

5. *space reserved for one of 3 Snorkels out for repair*

Just earlier this month this^^^^^ is what I came up with for my top 5. Oh how things change almost all the time. Here my new top five:

1. Sheaffer Touchdown Desk pen, M Triumph: Still number one. Great pen!

2. Levenger Plumpster, F: I've only had this pen for a few day but I LOVE it.

3. Pilot VP, M: Still a great pen. I use it all the time.

4. Sheaffer Admiral Snorkel, #5 14k nib: This is a great writer and not as difficult to flush as snorkels with triumph nibs.

5. Stipula Vedo, M: I still love this pen, but the others are topping it at the moment.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Pelikan M605 - This perennial favorite was an anniversary present, fits my hand oh so comfortably, has a beauty of a Fine nib, and writes for hours without hand fatigue.

Lamy 2000 LE - This pen is too heavy to use all the time, but the wet Medium nib is such a joy to use. It mostly gets used for work notes but doubles up as a correspondence writer, birthday card signer, and wedding well wisher. As a special gift from FPN member rotomobees, it reminds me to dwell in gratitude, and lets me daily think of appreciation, generosity, and humility. Woah!

Visconti Wall Street - Fine stub. Do I need to say more? Also a gift from Rotomobees.

Hero 329 - Picked this up in a trade last month and I haven't wanted to kick it out of rotation yet. It has a nice smooth XF nib and hasn't given me any trouble.

VP - Just got this in a trade after selling a VP last month (and immediately regretting it). I haven't bonded with it yet, but I'm sure glad I have a VP back in my life.

1-Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Victorian

2-Parker 61 presidential

3-Conway Stewart 76 in Green Herringbone

4-Conway Stewart 76 in Blue Herringbone

5-Conway Stewart 28 in Cracked Ice

Today there are four pens in rotation, so only four favorites.

ST Dupont Gatsby silver with gold furniture.

This is perhaps my absolute favorite pen, which really surprises me. Generally I am not a fan of slim pens but this one shocked me. It is perfectly balanced, feels great in hand, is classically smooth and returns the same tactile and auditory experience as all Duponts.

ST Dupont Olympio gold lined medium (large) size extra fine nib.

ST Dupont Fidelio Silver medium nib.

Pelikan 600 blue striped with a Mottishaw cursive italic medium nib.

But I will likely put the Pelikan away sometime this weekend and it's place will be taken by an ST Dupont Gatsby black Chinese Lacquer.

These are all my favorites. The first three to draw with the second two just fro sentimental reasons.

1. Mb 149 M nib flips to an XF

2. Pelikan M805 3B nib custom ground by Mr. binder to flip to an XF and if held at a high angle draws a M line.

3. Pelkan Polar Lights kinda flexy nib

4.Visconti Nato-cool vacuum filler and nice flex nib

5. Aurora Talentum --it was my drawing teachers and it is a great pen.

www.stevelightart.com

Let's see...

Maroon Parker 51 with a stub nib

Bexley Submariner Grande with a 14K Richard Binder stub

Bruno Kosmos Pink (can't remember the full Italian name)

Libelle Nature

Lamy Safari in Pink

Connie

I blog... HouseWife with a Day Job

Five?

1. Pilot Custom 742 (or 743) FA nib - my favorite desktop pen, especially when the writing calls for something with varying line widths.
  2. Vanishing Point with a Richard Binder Cursive Italics - favorite "on me" pen.
  3. Sailor 1911 Naginata Concord Emperor - very versatile writer by flipping the nib up or down.
  4. Dani Trio Mae West with a soft MF nib - very smooth writer, and the shape of the barrel fits my hand very well.
  5. Sailor 1911 with F nib - no thrills but solid and smooth writer pen. Mine has a little bit of springiness to it, while not as much line variation like the FA nib, nonetheless a very feel-good pen to use.

With Aloha,

Clarence

1. Aurora Optima

2. Aurora 88

3. A vintage Pelikan 400nn with a KM nib (hard to put this one here. Really like this pen and the KM nib writes superbly)

4. Parker 51

5. MB 149

Edited by lowks
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

1. Parker 51 Demi in Black w/ Lustraloy cap

2. Nakaya Piccolo Writer's Edition in Kuro-Tamenuri (blackish-red)

3. Edison Pearl in Black Ebonite

4. Pilot Myu

5. Montblanc 146 Platinum

Roughly (but not necessarily) in this order:

1. Sahara -- the fattest and heaviest, so most comfortable pen

2. M800 with green striations -- almost as good as the above but more traditional looks

3. 51 -- I bought it about 45 years ago and it still writes as good as new; wettest of these 5, and I like that

4. Aurora Optima Mini -- I always wear T-shirts, and this pen is always in their pocket

5. M215 -- whether or not it's cold (like today) I always wear a vest too, because of the 10 or so pockets, and this pen is always there.

I use all of these pens everyday.

I have about 5 other pens, but they don't get used as much.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The List:

1. MB 149-always inked, always dependable, husky size.

1a 51 Flighter-always inked, always dependable, lives in my office desk.

______

The current 3-5

3. Omas 360 Hi Tech - forgot just how nice the triangular section is to write with.

4. Visconti Aida - for quiet times at home, with the Quink/Penman Sapphire mix that matches the pen

5. Tibaldi 60 - seems to keep coming to the head of the line.

gary

I like 'em oversized..so here you go...

MB 149

Sailor KOP black ebonite with rhodium trim

Pelikan M900 Toledo

Classic Pens ZJ1 Mozaique

Classic Pens CP8

"The truth shall set you free..." John 8:32

"When in doubt, tell the truth.." Mark Twain

My personal list looks like this:

MB L139 in BB

MB 149 in BB

Parker 51 sterling/black in B

Sheaffer PFM V in BB

Sheaffer OS Balance in M

Filling a fountain pen is much more fun than changing a printer cartridge

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

This changes often as you probably know. My top 5 currently are: (from top to bottom)

Girard Perregaux Tourbillon FP

Conway Stewart Oliver Cromwell FP

Montegrappa Mogdigliani FP

Montegrappa Extra 1930 FP

Dunhill Sidecar Leather LE FP

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/rinellatony/GP%20Tourbillon%20Pen/ringobirthday002.jpg

I love doing these types of 'surveys' for some reason...Good re-self-evaluation... :)

Current top 5:

1 Pelikan M800 with 14K OM nib with added flex.

2 Namiki Falcon with an EF added flex nib.

3 Pelikan M700 Toledo 14K OM

4 Sailor Moonlit Forest Maki-e with Custom OM Togi nib. (And customized by my Puppy Watson...)

5 Nakaya Piccolo with slightly soft medium nib.

The Pelikan M800 and Moonlit Forest have been in my top 5 since purchased.

John

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

1. Esterbrook SM Deluxe (Early Snap Cap) Burgundy, 9550 nib- Feels perfect in the hand, very smooth, true fine line, love the design

2. Esterbrook J Red 9668 nib-medium nib on the broad side, smooth, nice shading of inks, beautiful striations on the body

3. Burnham 55 with a medium nib-Very nice smooth nib, has some nice flex to it, the casein body of grey, black, and white is awesome, feels great in hand

4. Parker 21 Red with a fine nib-great pen to carry around, has some nice line variation to it.

5. Lamy Safari Red with fine nib- My work pen, great with Registrar's Ink, has held up well with all the crazy dogs jumping on me, wiggling in my arms, and getting their paws in my pockets as I carry them!

Haha, hmm, four out of the five are red pens, and though that's a nice color, its not my favorite, need to put some greens or blues in there!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA