Jinhao X750

12345Michael54321

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FOLLOWING IS AN EDITED VERSION OF MY FULL REVIEW. THE FULL REVIEW, WITH ADDITIONAL TEXT AND PHOTOS, MAY BE FOUND AT http://www.hyper-global-mega-corp.com/fountain_pens/Jinhao_X750/Jinhao_X750_review.html

http://www.time4email.com/fountain_pens/Jinhao_X750/DSC_2985.jpg

This is a review of the Jinhao X750 fountain pen, in "Electric Red Swirl," no less.

The Jinhao X750 could well illustrate a wikipedia entry on "Cheap Chinese Fountain Pens." It set me back all of $3.25, via eBay auction. Plus an additional $1.95 in shipping. (It was shipped to me here in Maryland, from Georgia, USA. Not from Hong Kong, as so many cheap Chinese pens seem to be.) So it cost me $5.20, total. And yeah, that was for a brand new one, in box, with converter.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS: Well, it's a fairly pretty pen. Nice color, shiny chrome, large nib, some decorative swirls here and there. So I guess that was my first reaction - "pretty." Not gorgeous, not refined, not classic, not any of those things. But at a glance, it's an aesthetically pleasing item, at least in my opinion.A

HOW DOES IT WRITE: Well, it writes. To some extent, a $3.25 fountain pen is like a dancing bear - it doesn't have to dance well, the amazing thing is that it dances at all. And the Jinhao X750 can dance.

Okay, at first, I was mildly impressed. The pen laid down a decent enough line - about like a substantial fine. It was wet enough. Didn't have any glaring faults. It wasn't particularly scratchy, either. Sure, there was little real character to its writing (on top of which, my handwriting is mediocre, at best), but it was a good, solid, workmanlike performance.

But after writing close to 2 pages, the ink would sometimes not be there when I needed it. What I mean is, I'd begin to write the letter "D," starting with a simple line, drawn top to bottom. And the pen would lay down... nothing. So I'd do a scribble or a doodle on a piece of scrap paper, and the ink flow would be fine, and I'd go on and write a couple of paragraphs. And then it'd happen again.

I checked, and the converter was still about 1/3 - 1/2 filled with ink. I'd turn the pen upside down and rightside up. I'd tap it on its side. I'd even press down kind of more firmly than I like, when writing. (This last technique helped a little.) But the intermittent problem remained.

And I want to emphasize it is an intermittent problem. Not a constant issue. Still, it's frustrating.

I wonder if that spring in the converter, mentioned above, might not be blocking the flow of ink, or something?

I refilled the pen, and the problem disappeared for a while. Then it started happening again, after I'd written about a page.

So, the pen seems to be an okay writer when it's full of ink. But problems arise when it's less than full of ink. I don't know enough about fountain pens to diagnose the problem. Sorry.

Here's a sample of some writing, done with the Jinhao X750, using J. Herbin Violette Pensée ink (not a favorite color of mine, but my niece likes it and I can deny her nothing), on a page from a pad of Clairefontain paper.

http://www.time4email.com/fountain_pens/Jinhao_X750/DSC_3055.jpg

WORTH IT?: Despite its faults, it's probably worth buying. Since if the intermittent ink delivery issue is due to lax quality control, there's no reason to believe that your X750 will suffer from it. Or maybe my pen just needs some breaking in or adjustment or something. It's not a perfect pen, but it's an attractive pen, and potentially a decent performer, being sold for a pittance.

(This has been my first review submitted to FPN, so please be gentle with me.)

--

Michael

Edited by 12345Michael54321

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• 12345Michael54321

• Skeet

• returnofpenguy

Nice, thorough review. I got mine as part of an ink purchase. It's a great writer, but mine does the same thing as yours... it's full, it's great. As thing ink goes down, it's just runs out. I tried another converter in it with the same results. I am not sure what the issue is. My next step is to try a cartridge.

Connie

I blog... HouseWife with a Day Job

Thanks for the feedback, CarolinaWriter. I see that much of the text and many of the photos that comprised my review have been edited out. If this forum's moderator(s) decided the review was too long, that's fine, but it would have been nice had I been notified. Then I could have copied the full review over to my own website, and linked to it from the truncated version appearing here.

Not whining or complaining, you understand. Just suggesting that it might have been preferable to do it that way, is all.

additional information - CarolinaWriter has graciously provided me with a copy of the full review, and I've put a copy of it up, at http://www.hyper-global-mega-corp.com/fountain_pens/Jinhao_X750/Jinhao_X750_review.html

--

Michael

Edited by 12345Michael54321

I've seen these pens on "that auction site" and seriously considered buying for that lustrous treatment on the barrel--quite unusual. I'm glad to hear Jinhao has made another great value pen. Seriously, for the price it's worth the risk of having to correct a defect here or there (as long as the correction takes for the long haul). Thanks for the contribution.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I had purchased x750 from a online vendor. These were my first new inexpensive pen purchased in the US. I was impressed with the cost of the pens, compare to other pens. I was very excited when I received these pens, because they looked good and felt well in hand. Nice full size pens.

then the performance became an issue. Even after filling ink, pen would not write. If I closed the cap so that ink does not dry out, it still didn't work. I tried many different things for it to work. I flushed the pen, & I cleaned the nib. But didn't work. I called the vendor, who applogiezed and sent me another set, which they tested and sent me scribble paper of their test. However, when I started using, my problems were consistent. I called again. they offered me to refund my money and I can keep the pens. I thanked them, took the refund, and sent the pens back. It was a very frustrting experience. I would be in a classroom taking notes and suddenly it would stop working.

I know they are inexpensive and look good, but if you are looking for a good writing experience, stay away from these pens.

Yes, when it wrote, it put a nice thick line with a medium nib.

the same thing happens with my x250, I'll be in class writing notes and I'll have to shake it around a little bit before the ink flows again. It's kind of annoying but quickly remedied. I got mine from ebay too, so really its nice for a very inexpensive pen.

• 2 months later...

I finally threw mine away today after experiencing the same problems described above and applying all the same treatment methods. I did detect that the tines were too far apart and when squeezed together the pen wrote better for awhile. If I shook the pen down once or twice, it would write for awhile and then stop writing again. I decided to keep the converter and throw the pen away. There are too many good pens to be frustrated with a cheap one. My cheap Sailor Ink-bar pen that is disposable is a far better writer: always starts and never skips. BTW: I, too, bought mine from an online vendor and not over ebay.

All the best,

T

Thanks for sharing, excellent review.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Thanks for the review. I'm a Chinese pen collector, and would be interested to learn if using a cart solved the problems.

Someone threw away a pen?! :crybaby:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I finally threw mine away today after experiencing the same problems described above and applying all the same treatment methods. I did detect that the tines were too far apart and when squeezed together the pen wrote better for awhile. If I shook the pen down once or twice, it would write for awhile and then stop writing again. I decided to keep the converter and throw the pen away. There are too many good pens to be frustrated with a cheap one. My cheap Sailor Ink-bar pen that is disposable is a far better writer: always starts and never skips. BTW: I, too, bought mine from an online vendor and not over ebay.

All the best,

T

throw it my way!

I have just received an X750 in plain black all the way from China for less than £5 including (free) postage and, as Mint says, it is a bear that can dance. OK I have not used it enough to know whether it will have the fuel starvation problems that seem to beset many converter pens, but I expect a soapy water wash-through would solve that reasonably well.

It is a sturdy pen that travelled halfway round the world in a bit of bubble-wrap and a small padded envelope and arrived perfectly OK and appears to be pretty well put together - I mean all the parts fit smoothly, the threads are well-made and nothing wobbles or is misaligned. I can post the cap pretty securely if necessary (unlike the X450 I reviewed elsewhere which is not designed to post I think) and it is slightly more parallel in general shape than the X450.

It is not a thing of great beauty to my eye but it functions correctly and is neat, understated and does not look out of place in a business meeting or a cafe. Is it worth £5 - I think so; I like it and to get it for even less that £5 must be a bargain.

Chris

edit to add:

Mint, the spring in the converter is intended to stop surface tension holding up th eink flow - as it moves up and down it sort of mixes the bubble and the ink and keeps all moving, or that is the theory.

Edited by Chris

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review.

i've bought an X750 last Friday.

i love thick, heavy and broad nib pens just like X750.

Verba volant, scripta manet...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq60/oneill_1930/IMGP0926.jpg http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq60/oneill_1930/IMGP0875-1.jpg

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq60/oneill_1930/IMGP0878.jpg How about 29 of 45 of my fabulous JINHAO COLLECTION all of which I have never had one single problem with. CAN I SUGGEST THAT IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WASH OUT THE CONVERTOR THOROUGHLY WITH AMONIA SOLUTION OR SOAP WHICHshould fix the problems. regards Bryan

Having bought many "the bear can dance" pens on trips to China I always follow the same ritual before I use the pen. And believe me, $8 is the top that I pay, usually much less.

I rinse it multiple times from a glass filled with warm water and dish detergent. Then I rinse it multiple times with warm water. I take a .002" feeler gauge (from the auto part store) and floss the nib.

So far my bears dance fairly well after that. Foxtrot, Waltz, Charleston, but no Dancing With The Stars. After all, it is a cheap bear I am dealing with!

Rick

Does anyone know if the x-750 nibs are interchangeable with the X-450 nibs?

don't know... just wanted to say that i like your "nom de plume". i figure you more for japanese pens!!! :headsmack:

• 1 month later...

I bought a white X750 from Ebay seller Gotoschool888 on 5th May. I have absolutely no idea why I bought it. I can't even say I bought it on a whim (as happens far too often!). A mental aberration. It arrived today. Pretty quick from Hong Kong. It's actually a nice looking pen and apart from a Kaweco Sport, the first FP I've had in white. I thought to myself, bearing in mind I've acquired 2-3 really superb writers in recent weeks that I just can't put down, I'm never going to use this. But I flushed it and tried it. It writes absolutely brilliantly. I has what was described as a broad nib, well, it's medium to me (probably broad to most fine nib users!), but it's seriously sweet. Lays down a nice consistent wet line with none of the 'boringness' of most of the nibs in these pens. For £1.22, a bargain. So if anyone is on a budget, but wants to use a perfectly nice pen with a good nib - take a look at the X750. :)

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Does anyone know if the x-750 nibs are interchangeable with the X-450 nibs?

I think they are. The x250 uses a slightly different nib, but I think the ones in the x750 and x450 are identical.

They pull it without any hassle, so it shouldn't be too hard to check, in any case.

• 2 months later...

I have two 750s and the nibs are really very flexible, superb writers if you like them thick and heavy,

the whole pen is impressive from a distance ;9

Anyway, the standard converters are trash.

I threw them out.

I used Parker cartridges for refills with a syringe, but that can be a mess too. If the openings become buggered.

Does anyone know of a converter that can fit these pens ?

I have a Lamy cart in one. Good fit, but with a good bump it could fly downwards into the barrel and spill every ink that it inside.

I use the 750s as "home and desk pens", therefore.

I tried a converter from a Parker Sonnet, but that was the deluxe version. No fit.

Do the plastic Parker converters work better ?

Edited by kwisatz

"Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them!" (Duke Leto)