Ebay Feedback

magan

hi, i'm not sure if this is the proper place for this but i need advise.

i sold a bp and mp to a buyer from MD on ebay, total worth around $190. he confirmed receipt of the pens after my second email asking delivery status since i can see from my courier's tracking page that they are already at his local post. he never left any feedback for me though. so i looked at his feedback profile and saw that he has bought from more than 35 sellers and he has only left 5 feedback, 2 of them negative. the negative ones were to the tone of "buyer asked me to leave feedback." i don't know ebay rules on feedback but i'm afraid that he can use his omission of giving feedback for fraud, like filing a paypal dispute and his not giving feedback as possible proof that he never received the items.

any advise is very much welcome. thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foxtail1

• magan

• Enai

• aldica

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, i'd like to add that his feedback left for others were dated nov 2007, mar 2008, jan 2009. i don't leave feedback right away also so i know if an item needs to be returned but i think he really has a habit of not leaving feedback.

Yeah, I think some people just don't bother to leave feedback. Not just buyers but also sellers.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Well I am not an active seller on eBay, but have bought several pens off ebay in the past, so permit me to comment from a buyer's point of view.

IMO, when I pay for an item I have done my bit, and and at that point the seller should leave me positive feedback. However, on occasion sellers have sent me emails to the effect that they will be glad to leave feedback for me AFTER I have left them feedback; by implication positive feedback. In effect they are holding my rating hostage even after I have satisfactorily fulfilled my obligations as a buyer. To me this is a red flag and verges on offensive behaviour. In such cases my response is to retort by NOT leaving any feedback at all.

I'd be curious to see how others respond to the "We'll be happy to leave you feedback after you've left feedback for us" line from sellers.

fortunately i haven't come across a seller like that. i buy pens mostly from japan and japanese sellers give feedback right after receipt of payment. i'm a new ebay seller and thought that it would be a mutual thing that once a seller gives feedback, the buyer should also leave one for the seller at his most convenient time after evaluating the product. thanks for letting me know that people think they've done their part already by paying. i'll remember that always. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the buyer not leaving you feedback. The buyer is probably just a curmudgeon. :) Just make sure you retain the mailing records. But if you're trying to rack up positive feedback, yeah, it would be nice for the other party to leave you a positive feedback if everything went well with the transaction. It doesn't take long, really. Yeah, there's a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-your-back aspect to it, but, hey, 'tis how the world turns.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

As a seller and buyer on ebay for over 10 years, I agree with a aa's comment above. When a buyer pays for an item, they have fulfilled their part of the bargain and the rest is up to me. I leave feedback when I am paid, and hope that the buyer is courteous enough to reciprocate. (Actually, I include that statement on my packing slip, stating that I have left positive feedback and would appreciate the same.) Although I do not get feedback for all transactions, I maintain 100% and 4.9-5.0 ratings.

As far as protecting yourself, ship via Paypal, and you'll have a permanent electronic record of shipment and delivery. About the only time that's not possible is international first class, as you cannot track or ship on line (but since there's no tracking available, I offer it only as an option on very low dollar items). (Shipping via Paypal has the added benefit of keeping me out of lines at the post office!)

As a buyer, I used to get upset by the feedback blackmail, but since sellers can no longer neg me, I don't worry about it. I leave feedback when the item is received, with honest star ratings. The worst thing that can happen is that a seller doesn't leave me feedback.

Kristi

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

I like being left feedback after buying an item, the buyer can not respond until receipt of said item, some sellers will not leave feedback until you have for the simple reason that they can then relax in the knowledge that you have received your item, this I have no problem with. On the subject of non responsive buyers and sellers I have had this out with ebay and they cant enforce it, I regard this as horses**t as for example major sellers rely on the feedback they receive to maintain their status. If there is a problem always try and resolve it by contacting the buyer/sell, I see no problem asking someone to respond to feedback somepeople just forget, sellers who try and hold you to ransm should be challanged, if they justify a bad feedback give it to them and let them leave poor for you you can then get this removed by ebay, because as a buyer as already mentioned what more can you do after you pay within the sellers timeframe. Anyway thats my 2 pence worth.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

This is the type of investigation that is best done BEFORE the transaction. My advice is to move on. Ebay is a wonderful concept and the execution is pretty good. But you'll get some clunkers, to be sure.

My favorite email from a seller is "if you are satisfied with the pen, I would appreciate you leaving me positive feedback and then I will do the same for you".

My response typically is "if you are satisfied with the money you have already received, I would appreciate you leaving positive feedback for me".

To be honest - as a buyer I could care less whether I get feedback or not. I have about 300 positive feedbacks, and another 1 or 10 or 100 isn't going to make any difference in anyone selling me anything.

If I leave feedback, its because I enjoyed the transaction with the seller. The problem is, anything short of positive feedback is a serious issue. If I don't leave feedback, its deliberate - I don't need to start a war by leaving something other than positive feedback, and I don't really want to do a huge favor either.

I find sellers who do not leave feedback soon after they receive my payment to be rude in the extreme. As others have said at that point the buyer has fulfilled his/her part of the transaction completely. I have never repeat purchased from anyone who has not left me feedback once my part of the deal is done. I always provide immediate feedback when I am the seller. It is a sad fact that the majority of sellers do not follow this simple courteous way of conducting business.

Many sellers hold buyers hostage, insofar as, if you don't provide positive feedback, they will hold back feedback or threaten to leave negative feedback. It's not the way the system is intended to work, but humans can flaw almost any good design.

Dear Magan,

Since your client acknowledged receipt of the pens, a complaint about non-delivery is unlikely. If he/she is unhappy with them, or states they don't work, I suppose you have a return policy.

Where feedback is concerned, not all buyers provide such. I have purchased many items in eBay over the years and on a number of occasions have simply been too busy to complete the form though in most cases I do. Some people apparently dislike doing so at all, so there is no need to fret. PayPal and eBay, to the best of my knowledge do not attend to that aspect when examining a dispute. They email buyer or seller to learn their views on the transaction and act according to their judgments.

I have had two non-deliveries and in both cases PayPal refunded my money when the seller didn't respond either to my earlier, or their inquiries.

I hope this helps ease your worries.

Best wishes

herschm

Well I am not an active seller on eBay, but have bought several pens off ebay in the past, so permit me to comment from a buyer's point of view.

IMO, when I pay for an item I have done my bit, and and at that point the seller should leave me positive feedback. However, on occasion sellers have sent me emails to the effect that they will be glad to leave feedback for me AFTER I have left them feedback; by implication positive feedback. In effect they are holding my rating hostage even after I have satisfactorily fulfilled my obligations as a buyer. To me this is a red flag and verges on offensive behaviour. In such cases my response is to retort by NOT leaving any feedback at all.

I'd be curious to see how others respond to the "We'll be happy to leave you feedback after you've left feedback for us" line from sellers.

I have bought from fleabay many times and have had no problem with a seller saying that they would

leave feedback after I left feedback. I view buying on fleabay just like buying something from some-

one in person. Once I've notified the seller that the payment has been sent(by Paypal) and when I've

received the item,I send feedback. Then they send feedback. In some rare occasions,the seller has for-

gotten or chosen not to send feedback. That's OK by me. I've done my part and am the better person for it.

More often than not,those sellers that said they'd leave feedback after I did actually did.

Life's too short to get upset over feedback.

John

Edited by sumgaikid

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Many sellers hold buyers hostage, insofar as, if you don't provide positive feedback, they will hold back feedback or threaten to leave negative feedback. It's not the way the system is intended to work, but humans can flaw almost any good design.

Sellers can no longer leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers- that change was implemented some time ago- so sellers can either leave positive feedback or leave no feedback.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

I am mostly a buyer on eBay, of quite a variation of things, and as a buyer, I am not perticularly concerned about receiving feedback.

I don't leave feedback first to a seller, not gonna happen. Even as a seller, which I haven't been since a perticularly bad experiance with one buyer who recevied an item that I had paid to track, and it tracked as far as a post office in California, but wasn't ever signed for, and thus was reported as not received. Maybe so, maybe not. So now, I want the comfort, when I am the seller, of a UPS signature, or the more added cost of the buyer's signature of the USPS system, that really isn't very good at obtaining it.

But when I am the buyer and that buyer pulls that "I'll leave positive feedback when you as the buyer does first, I have a copy and paste response.

I note, that as the seller, you haven't left feedback, but want me to as the buyer.

The seller leaves feedback first, if you were happy with the way I paid. Nothing else enters into it for the seller. I then leave feedback, as the buyer if I am happy with the description, delivery and packing.

I Don't leave feedback first when I am the buyer. I do, when I am the seller.

Nice item BTW.

I dislike leaving anything but Positive Feedback. But I have had to leave Negative FB back in the days when a seller could do so. Usually for Non Paying Bidders. Right now I'm still debating leaving Neutral FB for a seller from France who sent the "Wrong Item". An offer was made to return the item, but the costs involved do not warrant the return. 2 out of 3 items were correct, but someone "pulled the wrong part" from stock. I'm still looking for the proper item (CF converter) but may just continue to refill cartridges instead. Usually go by the "if you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all", but sometimes exceptions are made.

Ralph

I wish that sellers would post feedback immediately after the item has paid for ( I think that ebay should require this) It seems

to me that some sellers won't give feedback until the buyer leaves a good feedback they a holding you for ransom so the if you don't

give them a good feedback they will hammer you with a bad feedback. Unsat to say the least.

Bob

I wish that sellers would post feedback immediately after the item has paid for ( I think that ebay should require this) It seems

to me that some sellers won't give feedback until the buyer leaves a good feedback they a holding you for ransom so the if you don't

give them a good feedback they will hammer you with a bad feedback. Unsat to say the least.

Bob

Again, sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers anymore. It's positive or nothing at all.

Edited by foxtail1

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

After reading some post. i guess you guys do misunderstood some sellers.

As ebay always advise ebay sellers only to leave feedback after buyer leave a feedbacks.

I did ask ebay about this issue whether i should leave a positive feedback after getting the payment. They advice not to do that.

Ebay told me that leaving feedbacks by buyers are evidence that item been delivered.

Personally i have experience in ebay that buyer receive the item , however deny that item actualy been delivered. Althought tracking shown that he or she been signed or after some long investigation of post office.

I guess it is good that buyer leave a feedback for seller like us to tell us that we have done a good job. It is a kind of satisfaction for the seller manage to get when we sell our items online.

As someone mention that as buyer you have done your part that you have paid the item and seller got your money. I do agreed in that for certain extent, provide you are a honest buyer.

In ebay, there are chances that scammer taking the opportunity of using fake credit card and charge back case. That why as a seller myself, when payment is done and i have send out the items. It doesnt mean transaction complete. It is only when feedback given by the buyers. Then the whole transaction is completed. It is not really completed after the payment is done which possible a fake credit card been used.

Hope you guys understand seller difficulty.

WhatsApp me at +65 93682205 For Faster Reply

http://goo.gl/GAvll Classified Sales in FPN

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store USA

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A-Pen-Hardcopy Ebay Store UK

Old Sale Thread with Feedbacks From Customers.