The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fountain Pen Etiquette - how to not loan pens

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 robertaia

robertaia

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 00:06

If you have to loan your pen to someone, always hold and keep the cap in your hand. Believe me they won't pocket the pen. And if they do...............
Robert

Sponsored Content

#42 wspohn

wspohn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2006 - 15:17

Well here I was just starting to feel good about maybe lending a pen to someone to sign something (while keeping the cap - great advice) and then I read the thread about fountain pen disasters!

What do you say when the pen you just loaned someone (the one with the most expensive nib you own, probably) goes flailing off into a world of hard surfaces when Butterfingers fumbles it? An image of Homer Simpson throttling Bart springs to mind.

Maybe if you tell them the cost of a re-nib should they drop it, that will dissuade them from borrowing? :D
Bill Spohn
Vancouver BC
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp
Posted Image

#43 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 15:40

I almost always have a roillerball or ball point in my pocket as well, so most times I can offer that

You know ... I won't even lend my Cross Townsend Rollerball. I did once lend it to someone, who promply dropped the cap. Leaving me with a dented cap that rattles because it knocked the tip of the cap a bit loose.

Since then if it isn't a $2.00/dozen stick pen I don't lend it out. Rollerball, ball point, fountain pen it matters not. I don't lend pens unless they're really cheap.

I've been known to say, "I won't even let my husband write with this pen, and he's the one who bought it." That usually ends the conversation.

Same here I don't lend any of my pens, hubby has used some of them while I was over his shoulder watching like a hawk.

I always watch my pens and keep them with me at all times, too easy for them to disapear like the better school pen waterman, "lost" in high school because it was left on my desk during mid morning break.

If I'am writing with a fountain pen and somebody wants to try it, I say "a fountain pen nib has to be ajusted to my handwriting, it need to be "trained".

Loaners? That's what generic ballpoints are for.
Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#44 Cloud

Cloud

We like pens!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 15:47

Hi,

well I have sort of a good devilish idea. I have a lamy which I always manage to stain my fingers with because the tip seems to leak a little. If somebody wants to borrow one of your pen, give them one that is inexpensive and that will stain their finger.... they will never ask you again to use a fountain pen!

Muhahahahahahahahahaha

Claude
Commit to be fit
ClaudeP.com

#45 acogbill

acogbill

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 18:02

Hi,

well I have sort of a good devilish idea. I have a lamy which I always manage to stain my fingers with because the tip seems to leak a little. If somebody wants to borrow one of your pen, give them one that is inexpensive and that will stain their finger.... they will never ask you again to use a fountain pen!

Muhahahahahahahahahaha

Claude

That is cruel. I like the way you think. :roflmho: :ltcapd:

#46 Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri

Ruaidhrí

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 3,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2006 - 18:12

I actually loan almost everything.
The exceptions are a MKIII "51" Special a late (much loved) uncle gave me, and my Navy Pinstripe Duofold (don't know why this one).

I have loaned my CP5, Big Red, "51" Signet, Faber .......
Makes people more interested if they are handed something decent.
Usually accompany it with something like "please don't hammer that into the desk" - as we say here 'half joke, whole earnest'. It doesn't come across as nasty but does convey a gentle message :D

However:
They NEVER go out of my sight
Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

#47 wspohn

wspohn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2006 - 18:15

Usually accompany it with something like "please don't hammer that into the desk" - as we say here 'half joke, whole earnest'.

Gee - more subtle than "Feel free to drop that pen as long as you have a spare $300 for a new nib...." Which might solve the problem of anyone actually taking it from you :lol:
Bill Spohn
Vancouver BC
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp
Posted Image

#48 SJM1123

SJM1123

白旻漆・Hakumin Urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:03

When I don't want to lend a pen, I use the fairly widely know myth that fountain pens wear to fit the user's hand, and that they wouldnt write well if someone else uses it.

Either that, or, "If you break this pen, you owe me 600 bucks!"

That usually deters the person. :D
Check out the new Edison/Hakumin Collaboration: The Urushi Mina Project
To see more projects, or to inquire about a custom urushi pen, visit: www.hakuminurushi.com

#49 MartiniPundit

MartiniPundit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:21

What do you do when you are NOT in a professional situation, rather a social one, and someone asks if they can use your pen, and all you are carrying is a fountain pen or two? :blink:

I've never had this problem, although it does seem to happen to members of the forum.

Perhaps you're all being too nice.

How's this for an answer: look the person straight in the eye and say "no."

Edited by MartiniPundit, 17 July 2006 - 02:21.

Sponsored Content

|