The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fountain Pen Etiquette - how to not loan pens

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 theking

theking

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 19:31

I actually enjoy lending my fountain pens to other so they would appreciate the pleasure of writing with one.

That being sad, it depends on the pen. For pens with stiff nibs like Waterman or Pelikan, I usually let people use them. But definitely not the OMAS with flexible nibs.

I occassionally lend people my MB 146 posted. When the borrower uses the pen, he usually think it's very expensive and therefore very careful.

To be honest, as long as the person doesn't just pocket your pen, it should be OK. Most modern fountain pens are pretty robust. I never had the experience of people ruining my pens.

Sponsored Content

#22 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 21:22

Hi,

I never lend the cap so that it will be impossible to pocket the pen. Imagine what happens if you pocket a pen without a cap. Even if I lend people a Sheaffer cartridge pen, they normally treat it with respect.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

#23 wspohn

wspohn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2006 - 21:34

I never lend the cap so that it will be impossible to pocket the pen. Imagine what happens if you pocket a pen without a cap. Even if I lend people a Sheaffer cartridge pen, they normally treat it with respect.

That's hilarious! :roflmho:

I am going to remember that and anytime I do lend my pen make sure I hang onto the cap.

Watching the blue stain spread in the shirt pocket of the (presumably) inadvertant thief will be worth it! :lol:
Bill Spohn
Vancouver BC
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp
Posted Image

#24 Mac in Alberta

Mac in Alberta

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2006 - 21:57

If I'm away from my desk, I can just reach for the BP if someone needs to briefly borrow a pen. Otherwise, I reach into my desk and hand them a Bic stic (which invariably disappears, but reporters are known to do that to office Bics).

The person who bent my pen was not a reporter. She was a desk colleague who is enough younger that I should have watched what she was doing.
And the patron saint of scribes must have put in a good word because Pelikan replaced the nib for free.
I am not one of those copyeditors who uses nitwit or bonehead as a synonym for reporter.
The nitwit incident was at church.

Murdoch
Sometimes a technology reaches perfection and further development is just tinkering. The fountain pen is a good example of this.

#25 Bill

Bill

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:03

All these suggestions are good. Each of us work and play in different environments and we may have to use many solutions. I know I have.

But my two most used techniques include:

Keeping cheap loaners in the office close at hand or that can be obtained in a few seconds;

Removing and keeping the cap while slowly and carefully orienting the nib correctly and away from the user, while asking the person if he or she has ever written with a fountain pen before. Ninety percent of the time the person won't even touch it.

Of course, a particularly personal precious pen (PPPP) is off limits.

Bill

#26 *david*

*david*

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:27

Having something outrageous-looking but harmless to hand over, like a Rotring Core rollerball or ballpoint, can be a nice diversion.

#27 Sparky

Sparky

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:32

I usually have a cheapie fountain pen on me at all times in addtion to a more expensive one.... If someone asks me fora pen I let them use the cheapie. I think it is a way to try and possibly encourage FP use by others.

However, if for some reason I had the more expensive pen, and they wanted to use it, I would just say I'm having problems with the nib and the pen eaking...... so let see if someone has a ballpoint to lend you becuase I don't want you to get ink on yourself. They usually thank me for looking out for them.

#28 happy_time

happy_time

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:37

what i do is... i usually carry a very cheap fountain pen on my pocket and a ball pen. So that when someone wants to quickly borrow a pen of me to write stuff, I can comfortably lend them my FP without hesitating. I keep my more elegant and expensive FPs in my pencil case or FP case. Well it is just what I do.

Edited by happy_time, 08 July 2006 - 06:40.

#29 kilkil

kilkil

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 14:50

Another reason to never lend the cap, at work I had a sheaffer snorkel sitting on my desk, one of my employees decided they wanted to use it and proceeding to PULL off the cap, which they did with the nib and section and snorkel. At least now she won't touch any of my pens.

#30 ConnallMac

ConnallMac

Transplanted New Yorker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2006 - 15:25

As a compromise you could track down a now discontinued Cross Matrix, with the FP module. Then you have the option of a fountain pen for you and ballpoints on the opposite end for borrowers.

J. Haney

#31 Garageboy

Garageboy

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,494 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:56

Disposible FPs...made for this purpose..
I loan out my Uni Balls, thats about it

#32 PeterL

PeterL

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:54

"I don't lend this pen." It's softer than "No", but also leaves no option for continued pestering, and does not imply anything about the person who you won't lend it to.

Or: always carry a pen you're willing to lend.

I basically say the same, though I will usually add that the reason is that fountain pens adjust themselves to the owner's hand. Even if this topic is still controversial, it will give them a message that I won't lend out my fountain pen. If I don't carry any other pen (highly unlikely), it's tough luck :(

Peter.
--
Graf von Faber Castell + Pelikano for experiments

#33 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:56

Hi,

I took my Pelikan M425 to church yesterday, and it so happens that we needed a pen for the attendance sheet and all we had were fat markers, so, the attendance sheet was passed around with my M425. :)

They had many comments like "Ooh" "Do you have more?" "Nice pen"

The pen itself has a stiff 18K extra-fine nib that I modified to make it buttery smooth.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

#34 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2006 - 17:22

I carry a gel pen that will do for a loaner. On the rare occasion someone has a real interest in one of my vintage FPs, I just show the pen without handing it over.

Several months ago one of my doctors grabbed my Sonnet to make a quick sketch on the paper that covers the exam table. Athough he took it so quickly I had no choice, the way he took it told me he knew how to use a fountain pen and no damage was done. If the Sonnet functioned better, I would carry it always for just that purpose. But that's a different topic. ;)
A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

#35 Bill_D

Bill_D

Needs Restoration

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2006 - 20:44

When someone asks to borrow a fountain pen, I just say, "Let me ask the little man who lives in my pants. He gets VERY angry if I don't consult him on anything." The person will invariably say, "Uh, never mind."
I plan to live forever. So far, so good.

#36 Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri

Ruaidhrí

• FPN Hon. Admin

• 3,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2006 - 22:20

This may sound a bit daft, but I think we should 'spread the word' and love introducing someone to using a fountain pen for the first time.

Of around 200+ pens there are only two I won't loan. I normally have two or three with me and people are welcome to use them.

I am however prepared to do serious prison time for anyone who would try to walk away with one - it just WON'T happen :angry:
Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

#37 davidg4781

davidg4781

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:48

When I decided to start using a fountain pen, I figured I would carry around a Bic pen, those cheap ones. I had a lot, since I use them at work (grocery store). This keeps me from lending out my cheap Parker Vector. I figured I'd get in the habbit now rather than later, and loaning out something I actually had to save up to buy.

#38 James P

James P

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:53

I have to agree with you, Ruaidhri. I like to think we're fountain pen ambassadors.

Fountain pens shouldn't be the exclusive domain of a select few - they should be used and enjoyed by everyone! How are we going to recruit others into the hobby and spread the word about how wonderful fountain pens are if we continually perpetuate the myths and misconceptions about them?

James P

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

#39 ConnallMac

ConnallMac

Transplanted New Yorker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2006 - 13:48

I would tend to agree with the previous couple of posters. I know we probably can't bring back the fountain pen as the preferred writing implement for the masses, but it certainly can't hurt to make a few converts as well! I tend to carry my Lamy Safari and Al-Star with me to loan out to folks, as they are unlikely to do much damage to the stiff steel nibs on them; also the way that the section is formed will steer them to holding and using the pen in the correct direction. I don't loan out the Pilot Vanishing Point that I carry, but it also has an eminently replaceable nib. Heck, the Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pen makes a great, cheap alternative for loaners or even give aways to get people hooked on fountain pens!

J. Haney

#40 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• 3,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 16:59

I aggree with the above - I usually have at least one good stiff nibbed pen that I would be willing to let someone borrow - usually a triumph - though I usually give them a couple of pointers about using it lightly.

Another option - carry a vintage Stylo for loaning. They are much harder to mangle.

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Sponsored Content

|