How Do I Fill My Koh-i-noor Rapidograph Pen?

artcat

Hi-I am having some trouble figuring out how to use a Rapidograph technical fountain pen that just arrived today. It looks more like a fountain pen than some pictures I have seen here. Removing the end of the pen (opposite the point), there is knurled nob that screws out. But then I can't see what is supposed to happen. It doesn't seem to pull out and I don't want to force anything. So what do I need to do? Would appreciate help getting this thing on the road. Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chthulhu

• artcat

• ZeissIkon

• jimescalante

Wow a Rapidograph. I used those for years. I used to unscrew the barrel from the tip. Inside the barrel you should see a clear or frosted plastic tube. That tube should slide off. I think some have a threaded ring to keep the tube on tight. Once the tube is off, we used to fill the tube with ink from the narrow tip ink bottle. Then reassemble the parts. They can be touchy. I used some for writing and filled them with fountain pen ink since it was easier to clean. Hope this helps

jim

If you can read books at Google Books, you can get good instructions as part of a drawing text.

Edited by ZeissIkon

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

If it was a new pen, it should have come with instructions; the link that Zeissikon posted is part of an older version of what ships with the newer pens. Jim's instructions are on the right track: unscrew the barrel from the back end of the body, then unscrew the clamp ring from the back of the body. The reservoir will slip off easily for filling. Assembly is the reverse of this process.

Two things: 1. Follow the instructions under "filling" on that page to get the thing started, or restarted when it stops. It WILL stop. 2. DON'T SHAKE THE PEN. Especially with the finer-nibbed ones, shaking them can physically damage that tiny wire inside the nib, at which point you might as well just drop the pen in the trash.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Hi all and thanks for the tips-the instructions were not with the pen or I would have not had to result to bothering you folks. As for the instructions, they seem to be for an earlier version of the pen. Mine has a bullet shaped housing, like a regular fountain pen, and there is a screw out nob inside the top when you unscrew the top of the body. It looks like one of those piston fillers converters. However, unscrewing it does not move anything. I don't want to mess up the plastic threads by pulling on it too much, and I don't know if I am at the wrong end of the pen trying to fill it, but I tried to unscrew the tip too with the little too in the box, after jimescalante's nice note, but it wouldn't budge.Does anyone have the instructions for this pen? Or have one similar to it that works? I'd really like to try it for fine shading. Is there a way to free up the threads on these plastic pens without strong-arming them?

Can you show us what it looks like, or give us a model number or something? Is it a Koh-I-Noor, or possibly something else? Need input! :-)

Take a look here for a Rotring that sort of fits the bill: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120632

Edited by Chthulhu

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

Hi-I am having some trouble figuring out how to use a Rapidograph technical fountain pen that just arrived today. It looks more like a fountain pen than some pictures I have seen here. Removing the end of the pen (opposite the point), there is knurled nob that screws out. But then I can't see what is supposed to happen. It doesn't seem to pull out and I don't want to force anything. So what do I need to do? Would appreciate help getting this thing on the road. Thanks

If it is like the few that have come into my hands over the years, it is a piston filler. Remove the blind cap to expose a knurled knob; the knob turns counter-clockwise to evacuate the barrel, emerse the tip in ink or water and turn the knob clockwise to fill. When the fill knob stops, in either direction, do not force it.

If the pen was not cleaned before being put away, the piston may not move or, the tip may be plugged with old ink and fail to draw. Many of these were used with an ink that is not water soluble and may need a special solution, and possibly an ultrasonic cleaner, to clean. The cleaning solution is Rapid-o-eze, and is often available at art supply and hobby stores (Michael's used to carry it, not sure if they still do).

Worst case, if you don't have an untrasonic cleaner, the piston-filler mechanism can be removed, stand the pen in a tall narrow container (I use a juice glass) with a bit of cleaner in the bottom. Pour a small amount of cleaner in the barrel and let it sit for a couple of days. If you are lucky, gravity and the cleaner will help dissolve the old ink. It may take several cycles of fill-and-empty to clean it enough to be serviceable.

Wow! A question that I know the answer too. I've got a Rapidograph 3060-2 sitting on my desk. The knob under the end cap is a twist filler knob. Twist it counter clockwise to move the piston down to the bottom of the cylinder. Dip the pen into the ink up past the finger grip. Then turn the knob clockwise to fill.

Hope that helps.

:eureka:

festina lente

• 2 years later...