Edison Pearl - Bulb Filler

opus7600

This review began with the Edison Pen auctions for the benefit of Cherished Creations. I hadn't been aware of Edison Pens prior to that, but the bulb-filler #76 really caught my eye. Not long after, I contacted Mr. Gray to commission a pen of my own similar to it. After some email exchanges and looking at a number of materials over his webcam, we settled on pearlescent hunter green acrylic for the cap, section, and blind cap, and a (very) pale green translucent acrylic for the barrel. I chose the "Pearl" model, bulb filler, clipless, and an XF nib regrind.

Appearance & Design

Judge for yourself. This is from the Edison Pen flickr stream; his photos are better than mine could come out.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/3925859333_7d604e2db0.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2425/3926644132_32e24cc01c.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2676/3926644350_767afd18d7.jpg

Construction & Quality

Top notch. All the seams are smooth, all the threads work well, and the pen feels very solid. Not heavy. Sturdy.

Weight & Dimensions

I chose the "Pearl" based on the way it looks in the shots Brian has on his flickr account. It has a geometry very similar to Nakaya's offerings. Now, don't take this too strongly, but I'm not sure Pearl was the right shape for me. I think it's stunning when capped, but open, there's a big step from the barrel to the section. I knew it was there, nobody was deceiving me, I'm just saying I'm going to try out a different shape the next time I order a pen from him. Also, I'd probably choose a clip next time. I usually carry my pen in a pants pocket, which is why I though I wouldn't need one, but I set the pen down on tables more often that I thought about, and the Pearl rolls very well.

Other notes in this section:

Weight, inked & capped: 25g

Weight, inked & uncapped: 19g

Length capped: 5.75 inches

Length uncapped: 5.25 inches

Brian does not generally recommend posting his pens, but says that many of them will post high. Mine doesn't post securely, which is fine, but I can't talk about length posted. It's also important to note that because these pens are handmade, and from different materials, the weight and length of your Pearl may differ slightly even if you say "I want just what opus7600 got." Furthermore, Brian can alter the shape to your liking if you want it shorter, longer, pointier, what have you.

Nib & Performance

As part of the custom process, Brian asked for a writing sample to match when grinding the nib. I think the fact that I used crappy paper for that may have misled him regarding what I wanted. The first time I tried writing with the pen, I wasn't pleased. I thought it was too broad (it was a narrow medium to my eye, with the inks I preferred to use) and too wet (I thought it was a 7 out of 10 for flow). I discussed it with Brian and sent it back, along with an actual pen that writes the way I like. This time it came back perfect. The match was impeccable. He had managed to get the nib to XF-XXF, just barely toothy, and about a 4 on a scale of 10 for flow. Brian gets full marks for patience and skill.

Filling System & Maintenance

The bulb filler is fun, but a touch slow. You can cheat and just use the pen as an eyedropper if you're patience-challenged. Cleaning the pen properly requires removing the nib, which is not difficult at all. When replacing the nib, you may want to add a dab of silicone grease, which Brian included with the pen.

Cost & Value

The total on this pen was in the high $400 range, so it's not cheap. However, it's the first anything I've ever had made custom for me, and that gives me a warm feeling inside. I believe that Brian will stand behind this pen. I've already experienced some of his customer service. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth, and I'm already working with Brian to plan out the next pen I'm going to have him make.

Conclusion

I wholeheatedly recommend the Edison Pen company. With the caveat that if you get a Pearl, you should get it with a clip, I gladly recommend this pen.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• opus7600

• Bill

• dizzypen

• jniforat

Congrats on a great pen opus. I LOVE that material (I have a normal pearl in that same color). I agree with all your sentiments, including the one about the clip. My first one has no clip, my second one has a clip and sees MUCH more use.

-Tom

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

One of the most clear and information rich reviews I've read with facts and opinions clearly differentiated. Great review!

Beautiful pen! -- and I like that your observations about the clip and shape are meant as considerations for others when they're buying an Edison -- not criticisms.

I have a solid Pearl in the same green material and love it very much -- it's also clipless, which is something I don't mind. I also have an ebonite Pearl in the "satin" finish -- it's actually my favorite -- I love the feel of the material.

Isn't it wonderful that Brian will work with you to fashion the nib you want? I, too, gave him bad instructions, and he was willing to work with me to get it where I wanted it. I felt bad about sending it back, but he kept insisting that he wanted me to be 100% satisfied. I'm delighted with my Edisons and hope you enjoy yours for many years!! HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Beautiful pen. How about a pic of a writing sample?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2543/4029447635_ede8902dd7.jpg

My Edison Huron bulb filler is being made on Monday---CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.stevelightart.com

I don't have one of the bulb fillers (yet!) but I have a Pearl (featured in Reviews and on Flicker) and I agree that it is an excellent design and great handling pen, at least for me.

I've been thinking about one in ebonite...

Bill

I can't wait until I can finally order my Glenmont. :)

Absolutely beautiful, and very similar to the Edison I'd like to get down the line (Pearl bulbfiller but in cracked ice). Great review - I can tell because I'm feeling an irational desire to buy one this very minute :lol:

I take it the large clear section in the barrel is optional and Brian can accomodate for his other styled ink window/s ?

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

I take it the large clear section in the barrel is optional and Brian can accomodate for his other styled ink window/s ?

Absolutely. You don't need an ink window at all if you don't want one, and Brian's definitely got other colors available, with varying degrees of transparency. The Cherished Creations #76, for example, had an amber window.

Edited by opus7600

Very helpful review as I think about my next pen from Edison Pens. Brian is great to work with and his pens are very dependable and quite beautiful. I'm now looking forward to ordering a bulb filler.

great looking pen :)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice review for a very beautiful pen. I think this bulb filler design is a smash hit for Brian and think it'll elevate his status in the pen making world. He has reinvented this design so well and incorporated modern touches that make it hard to resist. I especially like how well the pen fills. A little slow, but then you get to enjoy the labor of love. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

You just forced into changing my wishlist (see sig).

Gorgeous pen!

Great work again Brian!

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Flourish want one bad! With a 14k nib to pimp out full flexy and extra extra extra fine. Now that would be one hot mamma!

I've got a Edison Herald eye dropper fill pen with the most expressive Italic nib that I've encountered so far. I absolutely adore it! Now if we could only convince him to make his other styles with a bulb fill and ink windows, and anyone who's worked with Brian Gray knows it's not that hard to do, then I would truly be in fountain pen nirvanna.

Edited by Flourish

Well I just received my pen today. It is a Tortoise Finish Edison Pearl. I went clipless as well. I may or may not go with a clip next time. Fit and finish is top notch on the pen. The nib has a little bit of a toothy feel that I actually like and would say its a 6/10 on the flow. Like others have stated, Im not able to post securely with this pen.

I find the only problem with the pen is that its a bit on the short side. I dont find the drop off to be that great, but the shortness in length is different. I am testing it out right now at work. I suppose ill find my hand position down the line. I actually find the girth and weight of the pen spot on. Would I do it again? You betcha. In fact im thinking a Satin Finish Ebonite. Ill probably just ask for the barrel to be a tad bit longer next time. :)

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png