Sometime you have to love a lousy eBay heading

OldGriz

The eBay heading for this pen was

vintage ARROW fountain pen

Needless to say not a lot of people seemed to even look at the auction...

Out of curiousity, I looked and even with the lousy photograph I knew it was a Parker of somekind... thought at worst a 21 Super from the photo of the nib.

I ended up being the high bidder and won the pen for under $10 inc shipping.

Showed up today.... a very nice Parker 51 Special with a silky smooth fine nib. Black pen with no marks or scratches and a bright shiny cap.

This one was not stolen from a Boot Sale in England... it came from the good old USA...

Took a bit of cleaning... someone never emptied the pen of a real deep black ink...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• Ruaidhri

• kissing

• KDW

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find Griz,

That one will make-up for that mint 21 I sent you that you lost. When you win these pens for less than $10, it doesn't hurt as bad when you loose one, or maybe it does. Well, got to get packed, Off to Miami in the morning.

Take Care Buddy, Parkercrazy

Good Grief Griz, you're making me sick to my stomach! :sick:

I am now turning green with envy!

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

Well done Griz!

Look John,

Do not encourage Old Griz, he is bad enough all on his own.

So here am I after being woken up by a storm at around 1:45am to find that Griz has been on another rape and pilage expedition into the darkest realms of fleabay. This has done nothing to improve my demeanour I can tell you :angry:

Not doubt he will now on about how it does not write like his Sheaffer or some such, and this after he robbed it for next to nothing as usual.

I plan on remaining grumpy all day :blink:

I am going into the garage to destroy something with the angle grinder.............

Obi Won WD40 :sick: :sick: :sick:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Well done Griz!

Look John,

So here am I after being woken up by a storm at around 1:45am to find that Griz has been on another rape and pilage expedition into the darkest realms of fleabay. This has done nothing to improve my demeanour I can tell you :angry:

Not doubt he will now on about how it does not write like his Sheaffer or some such, and this after he robbed it for next to nothing as usual.

I am going into the garage to destroy something with the angle grinder.............

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

I sympathise with you Mr Strutton

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

If Griz had any finer feelings he would add a zero to all his prices and make us feel better.

He could redeem himself by sending us a "51" each to make up for the hurt.

Anyone for a vote on this ? :eureka:

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

If Griz had any finer feelings he would add a zero to all his prices and make us feel better.

He could redeem himself by sending us a "51" each to make up for the hurt.

Anyone for a vote on this ? :eureka:

Now, while I would not object to buying you a pint while discussing the finer points of stealing pens on eBay, I will not give up my goodies... B)

Well done Griz!

Look John,

Jim,

It may make you feel better to know that I have begun to truly appreciate the writing abilities of my Parker pens..... that does not mean I am giving up on my Sheaffer addiction or think the Parkers are superior.... I now tend to carry one of each when I go out...

I have decided, however, to add Parkers as a second brand in my collection.

Edited by OldGriz

To me, you've now become the 'standard' when it comes to finding a steal. Everytime I think I've found one, I'm tempted to shoot a message over to ask what you think, then I retreat, saying "He'll buy this out from under me, probably for 1/2 price somehow!"

Oh well, you did compliment my last purchase as 'a hell of a deal' which is like Tiger Woods saying, "Great Shot!"

Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

Mr. Mullane:

While you have made me very jealous for such great sumgai finds, would you mind telling us if you have ever got a bad deal?

Just to balance things a bit and make us feel a little bit better.

Kidding aside, congratulations on a great find!

To me, you've now become the 'standard' when it comes to finding a steal. Everytime I think I've found one, I'm tempted to shoot a message over to ask what you think, then I retreat, saying "He'll buy this out from under me, probably for 1/2 price somehow!"

Oh well, you did compliment my last purchase as 'a hell of a deal' which is like Tiger Woods saying, "Great Shot!"

Does that mean that SUMGAIS will now be referred to as GRIZZES....

One thing I try to do is not bid against my FPN buddies, unless it is something real sweet.... and unfortunately that happened last week when I beat FLZapped out of a nice Parker by a $1.00, but it was not a steal... just something real interesting.

:bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

Mr. Mullane:

While you have made me very jealous for such great sumgai finds, would you mind telling us if you have ever got a bad deal?

Just to balance things a bit and make us feel a little bit better.

Kidding aside, congratulations on a great find!

Oh, I have had my share of lousy deals... especially when I first started collecting pens....

With time you get to know what to look for and even then you can get burned...

I recently bougth a 1947 Canadian made Parker 51 Vac that was supposed to be complete from a Canadian seller... when the pen arrived the complete filler was missing from the back of the barrel... when I emailed the seller about it she got real nasty and refused to even discuss it... said the picture said it all... she got a neutral feedback and replied in kind...

Of course the filler is not hard to find... but I did not like the attitude.. so that one is going to cost more than the good deal $30.00 I paid .... overall it is still a great looking pen

As they say... Sometimes you get the bear... sometimes the bear gets you...

Overall, since doing my homework, I have done a whole lot better than I did in the beginning.

To me, you've now become the 'standard' when it comes to finding a steal.  Everytime I think I've found one, I'm tempted to shoot a message over to ask what you think, then I retreat, saying "He'll buy this out from under me, probably for 1/2 price somehow!"

Does that mean that SUMGAIS will now be referred to as GRIZZES....

One thing I try to do is not bid against my FPN buddies, unless it is something real sweet.... and unfortunately that happened last week when I beat FLZapped out of a nice Parker by a $1.00, but it was not a steal... just something real interesting.

:bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

That namechange has my vote... Really good job!

It's way too hot over here right now, but soon, very soon I it WILL be under 30 degrees (Celsius) inside my house and then I WILL be back on the bay... Bid! Bid! Bid! ;)

Edited by HyperCamper

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

You people have only to be patient! :P Tom's eBay exploits will last only as long as his health holds out, and rumor has it that he now walks with a permanent "hunch" due to only getting an hour's sleep each night, spending the rest of the 24 hours at the keyboard/screen.

Me, I set a snipe bid and go to bed. I awake having lost another due to my penurious bent. Tom is also cheap, but smart enough to properly decipher those arcane subject headers throughout eBay.

Rather than have Tom buy you a pint or two, I would recommend that Jim and Ruaidhrí send Tom a ticket to the UK/Ireland and that you guys ply him with many many pints, then put him back on the plane to home. That way, you'll have the proper info, not that which he'll give you when he's picking up the pub tab. The stage is then set for some real competition. :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Well done Griz!

Look John,

Jim,

It may make you feel better to know that I have begun to truly appreciate the writing abilities of my Parker pens..... that does not mean I am giving up on my Sheaffer addiction or think the Parkers are superior.... I now tend to carry one of each when I go out...

I have decided, however, to add Parkers as a second brand in my collection.

I see you're coming around, Tom! :bunny1:

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

i aM ritIng a baKtereum wot wiLL klog Grises interwEbtube on my MASTERS Babbage MKII.

Soon the WorlD wil be rid of HIm.

Sined

erNst

Sorry folks.

Little #$£# got free again. AND used my pic :angry:

Ruaidhrí