Ultra-cheap Reform pen set

LapsangS

After reading some positive feedback about isellpens.com (Todd & Theresa Nussbaum) from the FPN, I decided to give them a try and ordered some ridiculously inexpensive pens. I don't really collect ballpoints or rollerballs, but they are handy when I need to sign some thermal paper receipts or carbon copies. The fact that I didn't own a single working ballpoint or rollerball (yes, I know, I am an FP evangelist) made me order some. I added a cheap FP with 2 packs of black cartridges to keep my faith strong. :D

1. Reform Silver/Gold Plated Ballpoint/Rollerball pen set

http://isellpens.com/Images/reform/REFORM%20REV%20SET%201A.JPG

This set costs $6.99 at isellpens.com. According to the website these are NOS or MINT in original gift box. The pens are quite as beautiful as they are in the photo (which I borrowed from Todd's website.) They are solidly built and the cap rather heavy as it is plated. The rollerball's cap is screw-on and both caps have engraving plates. Ballpoint is naturally heavier than the rollerball because of its refill. The included refills are rather dry, maybe because they are originals and have been sitting in a store unused for a long time, so I am going to buy some new refills at my local bookshop. This kind of set normally costs more than 20 euros here in Finland. Very nice pens to have around when asked to lend a pen and the person asking doesn't know how/want to use a FP.

2. Reform Bremen FP (gold plated steel medium nib)

http://isellpens.com/Images/reform/REFORM%20BLACK%20FP%201C.JPG

This $3.99 fountain pen is a very simple German cartridge/converter-filled student pen. It is very light in weight when compared to the heavier BP/RB set. However, it is rather fat and very well suited for a big hand. The "gold" plating in the cap and shaft is rather poorly finished as there are some cracks in the plating. However, the nib is very well plated, beautiful and approximately as big as in Philéas. The pen's cap has nice click when snapped on and it fits well on both ends. I have an extra international converter somewhere so I didn't bother to buy it, but it seems that this is just the kind of pen that is at its best with cartridges. I snapped in a black no-name cartridge that I bought (10 pcs/$1) from Todd and it started writing instantly with a nice, wet line, ultra smooth, no skipping at all. Here is a sample of my handwriting (Reform Bremen FP):

http://koti.phnet.fi/sa271078/reform-test.jpg

Conclusion

The aforementioned BP/RB set is a heavy, solid and quite impressive set of pens in a nice gift box. The Bremen FP is more like an inexpensive student pen, light in weight but surprisingly fat. The nib is excellently finished, shaft/cap is less brilliant. RB/BP set needs new refills and the writing quality is solely dependent on them.

DISCLAIMER: The photos of the pens are linked from www.isellpens.com. The scan of handwriting is my own.

Edited by LapsangS

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LapsangS

• Judybug

• Glinzan

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something wrong with the word-wrapping, difficult to read, I'm very sorry but just couldn't figure out the reason. :(

Edit: Ah, I had to resize the scan of my handwriting.

Edited by LapsangS

• 4 weeks later...

This is a beautiful pen set! These inexpensive pens are nice to carry around. You don't have to worry about losing a really expensive pen. And if you must lend your pen to someone who is used to writing in triplicate with a ball point - well, it's not the end of the world.

I have a very inexpensive Charles Hubert FP that I ordered from "I Sell Pens." It's kind of eye-catching - red plaid. Has a fine point. Writes well.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

• 4 years later...

Dear Lapsang,

Would you happen to know where I can buy these inexpensive pens? I've ben looking for this exact set and can't find them.

--K.