Rotring Core

meanwhile

I had no idea Rotring Cores were that inexpensive. It sounds like this might be a good first fountain pen for my 9 year old grandson. What do you think? Does it take standard international cartridges?

Judybug

I started my 10 year old son and my 8 year old son on my cheap Sheaffer fountain pens. I decided to buy them a Pelikano Junior pen, and I'm pleased with the choice. I was able to buy their favorite color and I filled them with their favorite color ink. They love them and enjoy writing with them. My 8 year old is the most interested in writing with fountain pens. I had him try my Core. He liked it, did well with it, but he thought it was too big. The Pelikano Junior is appealing to kids, and even though I like other pens better I think the Pelikano Junior was an excellent choice to increase their interest in fountain pens. I purchased a Kaweco Sport for me after I purchased the Pelikano Junior pens, and I think I will make it their next pen. After that I will let them search for what they want.

ht

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chupie

• wackyjacky1

• meanwhile

• ht1

I just got my Rotring Core today. I wouldn't go so far as to call it ugly -- it's definitely different, so let's just call it "funky". Actually, I kinda like its looks (I got the Lysium -- turquoise and grey, with some pink).

I bought it to use at work after seeng it mentioned in the "Hummer" thread as being fairly sturdy. I work in a bakery, which is a rough-and-tumble environment, so I need something that'll stand up to a lot of abuse. (Gotta get some bulletproof ink for it now 'cause it's often a soggy environment, too!) Also it was rather inexpensive, which is always a factor for me with my tight budget (7 bucks plus shipping).

Mine came with one cartridge, but I ordered a converter from Made2Shop (free shipping until x-mas). The little "port holes" that are supposed to allow you to see your ink level are useless when the converter is in place (all you can see is the tail end of the converter). But the converter was easy to fill and install. There are some strange orange clips inside where the converter slides in, and I haven't yet figured out their purpose.

Granted I've only had it half a day, but so far I can tell you that it writes like buttah! Of the pens in my meager collection, it is by far the smoothest. I have no problems at all with the grip; in fact, it never would have occured to me that this was an issue for some until I came across this thread.

So...it's cheap, it's sturdy, I'm not gonna freak if it gets lost or damaged, it writes incredibly smoothly...works for me! B)

i used a core and matching ballpoint daily for about six months. it was comfortable to write with as i have a large hand (actually two). the nicest thing was that it was pretty hard for the ballpoint to walk off. i got more questions on the core than i have on any other pen i've had. "is that some sort of mountain biking tool?"

I should receive my aqua Core Lysium with an oblique nib today. I admit, I"m one that thought these pens look very odd but the oblique nib reaaaallly got me over that in a hurry. It should be there when I get home I think. I'm very excited to have a new pen. It's been so long.....

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

Reagrding the Core coming with a convertor, from what I here it should but you didn't get one and that is because you bought it from Lewertowski. I bought a Waterman Expert 2000 from him and it didn't come with a convertor and we all know that it definately is shipped with one to retailers. He only ships high end pens with convertors. I'am assuming he sells them seperately because he always has them in his auctions and when I asked him wether or not a convertor is included he replied no and that my best option was to buy one from him.

Swisher has these for 12.50 now, converter included.

I got two. Good pen! But photographs do not do it justice. It is even uglier than reported. In fact, I think this may be the famed original "ugly stick." :D

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Swisher has these for 12.50 now, converter included.

I got two. Good pen! But photographs do not do it justice. It is even uglier than reported. In fact, I think this may be the famed original "ugly stick." :D

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

My local store has a whole tray of them sitting out on top of the glass display. I have not once been tempted to pick one up for dip testing. :ltcapd:

Although now that we have people claiming that they're comfortable and write reasonable well... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Mine came with one cartridge, but I ordered a converter from Made2Shop (free shipping until x-mas). The little "port holes" that are supposed to allow you to see your ink level are useless when the converter is in place (all you can see is the tail end of the converter).

You can use long Waterman cartridges in this pen, and then the little windows actually show the ink.

The orange clip things are supposed to work as follows: You run out of ink, unscrew the barrel just a bit, and the orange clips release the seal between the cartridge mouth and the feed of the pen, allowing the last few drops of ink to flow.

I've never tried that feature, so I don't know if it works well.

In another topic on the Cores, a few people mentioned that they thought the orange thingies were causing leaks. I popped mine out (they can be popped in again easily) and stuck 'em in a drawer. The pens work just fine without them.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Well, I'm annoyed with my funky ol' Core... :angry: Ink flow is practically non-existent! It will barely write. I took out the converter and tried the cartridge that came with it: Same problem. Then I took off the orange clip, thinking that might have something to do with the problem: Nope. If I dip it, it writes nicely for a while, but for some reason the ink isn't flowing from the converter or cartridge to the nib. :bonk:

I guess I got a defective one. I'll have to see if I can return it.

Sigh.

EDIT: Maybe I'll try loading it up with Noodler's Luxury Blue -- from what I read, it's a pretty free-flowing ink.... The nib is so smoooooth when it's got plenty of ink, I really wanna get this pen working for me!

Edited by wackyjacky1

Hmm. Mine sure doesn't write like buttah. I'm very frustrated with the flow. It has a cursive nib. It's scratchy and does not start well at all. I may have to have someone smooth it and take a look at the feed.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

Try using the converter and flush the nib with a solution of ammonia and water. I bought six, and two of mine did not flow as well as the others. I cleaned them with the ammonia water solution, and they all write the same now.

Hmm. Mine sure doesn't write like buttah.

LOL...Yeah, I wrote that because when I first got the pen, I dipped it and spent the morning scribbling with it. If you can get plenty of ink on there, it's as smooth as can be.

ht1, I will definitely try your suggestion about the ammonia & water.

Try using the converter and flush the nib with a solution of ammonia and water. I bought six, and two of mine did not flow as well as the others. I cleaned them with the ammonia water solution, and they all write the same now.

I don't have a converter. What is the ratio of ammonia to water. Do you soak or how do you "flush" it? If I could get it to flow better I would really like this pen.

I put a capful in about 2 ounces of water. There is something else you can use instead of a converter. I've forgotten what it's called, but it's used to suction water out of the ear. You can pick one up at a pharmacy I'm sure. Several have said they use these instead of converters. I got the idea of flushing the nib by making the water and ammonia flow both ways through the nib from someone on this forum who said he does this to every new pen before filling it with ink. I've had several new pens that didn't flow well, and this has worked on all but one. I hope it works.

ht

edited to add: It's called an ear syringe, a rubber bulb used to irrigate the ear and remove earwax.

Edited by ht1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up, I tried the ammonia + water trick, and ink flow is much improved. (I also have it loaded with Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black...don't know if that is a factor, as well.)

I'm so glad it's working better...for whatever reason, I am extremely fond of this funky pen! :)