The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc Unicef Signature For Good 2009 Special Edition

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shinchan

Shinchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:18

Review of Montblanc Unicef Signature For Good 2009 Special Edition

I got this mint and un-inked consignment pen for a wonderful deal thanks to feiye in FPN. Asking price was lower than the retail MSRP for a basic Meisterstück Le Grand, so it was a no brainer buy decision. The only catch was that the owner had thrown away the original packaging. A pity really, but the price was just too good to pass up.

I lined up the UNICEF Le Grand side by side with my regular Meisterstück Legrand with Platinum trim (Another wonderful deal thanks to feiye) and took some photo shots. The adornments on the cap of the UNICEF Le Grand seems to project the pen as somewhat smaller than the regular Meisterstück Le Grand. The SE pen seems to be diminished in size when compared to it's Le Grand peer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The filigree gold-plated wreath adorns the cap of the UNICEF Le Grand, a reference to UN's emblematic olive wreath which is universally recognized as the symbol of peace. The most distinguishing feature of the UNICEF Le Grand has to be the blue sparking sapphire, mounted just above the cap ring. It's deep blue echoes the UNICEF colour as a symbol of trust and commitment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The UNICEF Le Grand comes with the regular stock nib, which leaves this pen wanting when compared to the 75th Anniversary 146 Le Grand equivalent.

Posted Image
“其疾如風, 其徐如林, 侵掠如火, 不動如山“

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as the forest, attack as fierce as fire, unwavered like a mountain."

Shinchan's Fountain Pen Pilgrimage

Sponsored Content

#2 feiye

feiye

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:21

Stunning photos Shinchan! I'm so glad you enjoy the pen. I really like the detail in the olive branches surrounding the sapphire on the cap.
In rotation:
Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji
Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue
Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

#3 daenghafez

daenghafez

exquisite & rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:35

Congratulation on your latest addition. Thanks for your review. Do you have the 146 75th anniversary? Would like to see the three pens together.

#4 Shinchan

Shinchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:46

Stunning photos Shinchan! I'm so glad you enjoy the pen. I really like the detail in the olive branches surrounding the sapphire on the cap.

Thanks feiye! You are my enabler ;)

Congratulation on your latest addition. Thanks for your review. Do you have the 146 75th anniversary? Would like to see the three pens together.

No, I don't have any right now. But if I were to get any, I would rather go for the 149 75th anniversary Rose Gold LE version :)

Edited by Shinchan, 15 October 2009 - 11:57.

“其疾如風, 其徐如林, 侵掠如火, 不動如山“

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as the forest, attack as fierce as fire, unwavered like a mountain."

Shinchan's Fountain Pen Pilgrimage

#5 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:18

Very good photos and tour of this pen that I think few will get to see up close and personal. Thanks.

#6 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:23

I really like the extra details on the Unicef pens. Great photos that capture them!
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#7 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 00:06

Love the photos, super comparison pics. I just wish MB would stop using gem stones on their pens. In this case the nice cap adornment with the olive branch would have been enough. Thanks for putting this up, nice job.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#8 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• 10,122 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 00:25

In this case, I think the gemstone makes it. It's a blue world!
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#9 E0157H7

E0157H7

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:14

Nice work Roger. I'd like to add a 146 to my collection at some point, so I took an interest in this pen when I saw it. It is reminiscent of the 75th anniversary series with the exception of the nib. I agree with you that MB missed an opportunity to really distinguish this pen by using a stock Meisterstuck nib. But otherwise, it's gorgeous.

Excellent photos. Thanks for sharing!

#10 JuliusKane

JuliusKane

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:31

Really great shots! Not many people will be able to see such a pen up close...
Julius Kane,

pen addict

www.pensmontblanc.com

#11 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:41

nice 146 :) personnally I prefer the older 146s with their monotone nib.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#12 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 16:51

nice review and nice pics
Cogito ergo sum

Sponsored Content

|