The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Black Brahmam

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:21

Friends,

I am reviewing today what is one of the best examples of Indian pen making, if any thing the MB 153 among Indian pens, The Brahmam. I know there have been previous reviews but after looking at the pictures I’m sure you’ll agree that this pen deserves a few lines. It is a handmade pen with a handmade nib, from the moment I set eyes upon it I fell in love with it.

Appearance and Finish - The pen is black, glossy ebonite with the classic cigar shape. The finish is faultless, the trim (14 Kt gold) neatly fitted. It spells distinction.

Cap - The cap is 3 inches long, with rounded end topped off with a white circle (aka MB). The 14 Kt gold clip has a wide ring and the cap is adorned with three plain bands, the middle one being the widest. Neither the clip nor cap bands bear any name. There is a breather hole midway. The cap also has an inside liner which seals the nib when the pen is closed and prevents drying.

Barrel - the barrel has a single gold ring just at the start of the tapering end, that apart it is stoutly constructed.

Size and Weight - the pen is 6.5 inches long capped and 7 inches posted. barrel width 0.7 inches at maximum. The Section is wide for a comfortable grip, the cap and barrel threads strong and the thickness of the barrel 0.2 inches. The pen weight 45 grams empty.

Filling mechanism- Previous Brahmam reviews have showcased eyedroppers, but this pen is an aerometric (pressure bar filler) and holds 3 ml of ink, tested with water. The end of the aerometric filling mechanism has a small black cap. The system is uncomplicated and efficient but will require sac replacement eventually..

Nib - This is the piece de resistance, a massive 14kt Gold nib with a 1 mm thickness. The nib is 3.8 cm long and engraved on the top with a design along the edge. it also bears the curlicue D of Deccan pens and the word “14ct gold”. The best part of the nib is the point, the thickness of the plate at the point is 1.5 mm and the iridium is built into this thickness rather than being applied as a separate ball. Best of all, the nib is semi flex, medium to broad and has a whisper of feedback.

Overall - Knowing as we do now that there are many pen makers of distinction in India, this pen is a classic example of an excellent handmade pen. No doubt it was built to be “competition”? to Montblanc, but I feel that both pens are in a class by themselves. The Brahmam is the finest example of handmade pens at least from India (Brahmam meaning supreme being) and the Montblanc is, well Montblanc the comparison I feel should be limited only to pictures. Pictures are situated here - http://s267.photobuc...rahman Supreme/ for your enjoyment.

regards

Ashish

Sponsored Content

#2 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 22:49

An interesting pen. I am sure this will generate quite a few comments regarding the copying of design elements from the MB 149. It seems that if Pilot and Sailor can do their versions then why shouldn't Brahmam.

#3 rahulg

rahulg

Vintage is the future

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:43

First off the bat: A big congrats for your acquisition. I do admit to have salivated (time and again) over the specific model in your possession, when it was displayed at the Deccan outlet at Ameerpet in Hyderabad a few months back. Quite an impeccable beauty, and unlike MB's 149, the Brahmam is made of BHR (Ebonite) and had 14k appointments, unlike MB's plated furnishings. Priced at 180-odd US $, its a steal.

Regards,

Rahul G

#4 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:47

That's quite a nice pen. And that nib is Godzilla-esque! Thanks for sharing.

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:14

Quite an impeccable beauty, and unlike MB's 149, the Brahmam is made of BHR (Ebonite) and had 14k appointments, unlike MB's plated furnishings.

I agree with the former, but I am not too sure about the latter, the trim is GF on the Brahmam, not solid gold.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#6 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 906 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 14:09

Friends,

I am reviewing today what is one of the best examples of Indian pen making, if any thing the MB 153 among Indian pens, The Brahmam. I know there have been previous reviews but after looking at the pictures I’m sure you’ll agree that this pen deserves a few lines. It is a handmade pen with a handmade nib, from the moment I set eyes upon it I fell in love with it.

Appearance and Finish - The pen is black, glossy ebonite with the classic cigar shape. The finish is faultless, the trim (14 Kt gold) neatly fitted. It spells distinction.

Cap - The cap is 3 inches long, with rounded end topped off with a white circle (aka MB). The 14 Kt gold clip has a wide ring and the cap is adorned with three plain bands, the middle one being the widest. Neither the clip nor cap bands bear any name. There is a breather hole midway. The cap also has an inside liner which seals the nib when the pen is closed and prevents drying.

Barrel - the barrel has a single gold ring just at the start of the tapering end, that apart it is stoutly constructed.

Size and Weight - the pen is 6.5 inches long capped and 7 inches posted. barrel width 0.7 inches at maximum. The Section is wide for a comfortable grip, the cap and barrel threads strong and the thickness of the barrel 0.2 inches. The pen weight 45 grams empty.

Filling mechanism- Previous Brahmam reviews have showcased eyedroppers, but this pen is an aerometric (pressure bar filler) and holds 3 ml of ink, tested with water. The end of the aerometric filling mechanism has a small black cap. The system is uncomplicated and efficient but will require sac replacement eventually..

Nib - This is the piece de resistance, a massive 14kt Gold nib with a 1 mm thickness. The nib is 3.8 cm long and engraved on the top with a design along the edge. it also bears the curlicue D of Deccan pens and the word “14ct gold”. The best part of the nib is the point, the thickness of the plate at the point is 1.5 mm and the iridium is built into this thickness rather than being applied as a separate ball. Best of all, the nib is semi flex, medium to broad and has a whisper of feedback.

Overall - Knowing as we do now that there are many pen makers of distinction in India, this pen is a classic example of an excellent handmade pen. No doubt it was built to be “competition”? to Montblanc, but I feel that both pens are in a class by themselves. The Brahmam is the finest example of handmade pens at least from India (Brahmam meaning supreme being) and the Montblanc is, well Montblanc the comparison I feel should be limited only to pictures. Pictures are situated here - http://s267.photobuc...rahman Supreme/ for your enjoyment.

regards

Ashish

Very cool. Where can I get one?

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2009 - 20:37

not bad :) but I think it would have been better if it was a piston filled pen.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#8 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:52

Hi Hari,

Actually I have two of these, one (the smaller) has GF trim while the reviewed pen (larger) has solid gold trim. I will post a picture review of the Black Parade in a little while.

regards

Ashish

#9 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:00

I quite agree, but the aerometric mechanism is very easy to use and reliable.

regards

Ashish

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:26

Actually I have two of these, one (the smaller) has GF trim while the reviewed pen (larger) has solid gold trim. I will post a picture review of the Black Parade in a little while.

Ashish, Is the clip solid gold too?
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#11 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2009 - 18:04

This question was already asked up in the thread but no one has answered: Where can one get these pens? A quick search turned up nothing but addresses of brick-and-mortar stores in India

Edited by majorworks, 20 October 2009 - 18:05.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:19

This question was already asked up in the thread but no one has answered: Where can one get these pens? A quick search turned up nothing but addresses of brick-and-mortar stores in India

Hi, The Brahmam company is closed down and only a few shops have remaining stocks... In my knowledge no online store carries these pens. Try sending a PM to the OP if he has any spare pens.

Best,
hari

#13 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 16:04

Hari, Deccan confirm that on this pen the clip is also 14Kt solid gold which is why it is a bit small for the pen !

regards

Ashish

#14 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 17:21

Forgot to post the writing sample for this pen, it has a very wet line with thickness variation in the upstroke and downstroke. Paper graph, Chelpark Royal Blue.
Posted Image
thanks

Ashish

#15 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2009 - 13:57

where can one get this pen in India?
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#16 encre

encre

Precious resin is people.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2009 - 22:16

An interesting pen, the design of the clip is unusual and seems disproportionately small compared to the body of the pen, how does it look in the flesh?

#17 mugada.narendra

mugada.narendra

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:30

Raw material of ebonite and celloid are available from brahmam pens.Is there anyone who need it for sale...?
Brahmam pens

#18 ashishwakhlu

ashishwakhlu

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:25

Friends,

regards

Ashish

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ashishwakhlu, 02 August 2012 - 08:27.

Sponsored Content

|