Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi (saffron) Ink Review

kushbaby

I wanted this ink but when I went to my local MB boutique, they did not have any in stock, though they did have some Racing Green, but I wasn't interested in that.

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kushbaby

• Deirdre

• vieuxcarre

• OPG4711

• 2 months later...

Hi, I love this color but where I can buy a bottle, I live in Mexico City and I can´t find it, I also try in e-bay amd amazon but was the same result. Please help me if you can...

Regards

I picked this ink up at my local MB boutique today (purchase of the Ghandi pen was not required). The ink comes in a white box with orange print/lettering, and is labeled "Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi ink." The bottle is the standard 50ml "shoe" bottle, with a white label reading "Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi ink." Nowhere on the box or bottle is the ink marked or labeled "saffron" (except on the store's inventory form). Expiration date is August, 2014.

I love this ink. It is a happy, rich, true orange with little to no red or brown. It has nice shading. It is a wet, easily flowing ink, and behaves very well in both a MB 149 Bb and a Pelikan M205 clear demo with an EF steel nib. It makes me think of carrots and butter. :D

Drying time is slow, but once it's dry (a minute or so), it doesn't smear. It's definitely not water resistant - you could call it a "washable orange".

Closest things I have currently in pens are Diamine Blaze Orange and Iroshizuku Yu yake. It is close to Blaze Orange, but less red - more of a pure "true orange". I'd say it's a pretty good match for Rhodia orange. It doesn't have the slight brownish hint that Yu yake has. Comparing to some written samples I have of Herbin Orange Indien, MB Saffron is less brown than that ink as well.

I tried to scan a written review, but it came out much more red than it really looks. I will try to upload or link it anyway, though (if it doesn't upload, I'll try to add a link to the written review). Perhaps someone more skilled than I will be able to scan or photograph this ink better than I can. Meanwhile, think "carrots and butter"...

I love this ink - it's a new favorite (I love orange inks!!!). It seems that this ink may be limited in production, so get it while you can!!!

Edit: I took a photograph of the review that showed the color more accurately, so I replaced the "red" scan with the photo.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/kushbaby_pics/MBSaffroninkphoto.jpg

Here's the info I posted in the other thread about this ink, just in case you didn't see it, SamBaldwin.

Just bought some, without having to get a pen, from https://www.stylo.ca...d=205&serID=862

They also have the Love Letter, and the White Forest and brown Cookies & Spices Xmas inks. A little bit pricey but they deliver all over, including Mexico.

Hope that helps you.

Edited to add that they also have the new colours except the Irish Green.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

• 5 weeks later...

I just got back from the Bellevue, WA boutique and was totally snubbed! Not only would I have to buy a LE pen but ONLY the Gandhi pen and owners of it were "allowed" to purchase the precious liquid!

My views of MB continue to ebb <sigh>.

Bought a bottle of Noodler's Apache Sunset for comfort and I like it.

- OPG4711

I just got back from the Bellevue, WA boutique and was totally snubbed! Not only would I have to buy a LE pen but ONLY the Gandhi pen and owners of it were "allowed" to purchase the precious liquid!

Tell them to get a clue. Several of us have been able to buy the ink by itself in the boutiques.

Bill

So I bought this ink. Now I can't figure out what to use it for. What type of correspondence is appropriate for orange ink?

Halloween :thumbup:

So I bought this ink. Now I can't figure out what to use it for. What type of correspondence is appropriate for orange ink?

Halloween thumbup.gif

That makes most of my office correspondence Halloween-y then!

My colleagues have got used to me writing with every colour ink under the sun so I tend to have PR Orange Crush as one of my standard inks. Currently resides in my "precious", the Faber Castell Amber PoY. Yum, yum, yum

Tell them to get a clue. Several of us have been able to buy the ink by itself in the boutiques.

Bill

Booooooogus!!!! :angry:

I bought mine (quite a few bottles, actually) at the MB boutique in San Antonio. I also bought two bottles in the MB boutique in Atlanta.

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Bill

Actually, I DID!! And the Manager stood her ground saying it was strictly against MB policy and that it "Must have been a rogue employee who sold it" I wanted to push it but they have a pen case of mine in for repair and I don't want it to get "lost" by MB. But I was (and still am) fuming at their response.

- OPG4711

Bill

Actually, I DID!! And the Manager stood her ground saying it was strictly against MB policy and that it "Must have been a rogue employee who sold it" I wanted to push it but they have a pen case of mine in for repair and I don't want it to get "lost" by MB. But I was (and still am) fuming at their response.

I think she's actually right, and the people who sold the ink were wrong. Artificial scarcity is the way you convince people to buy a $25k pen. The marketing literature at release time indicated that the ink was a LE exclusively available to people buying the pen. That said, it takes an unusually dedicated & informed salesperson to actually care and not just sell the ink to anyone who asks.

Bill

I think she's actually right, and the people who sold the ink were wrong. Artificial scarcity is the way you convince people to buy a $25k pen. The marketing literature at release time indicated that the ink was a LE exclusively available to people buying the pen. That said, it takes an unusually dedicated & informed salesperson to actually care and not just sell the ink to anyone who asks.

I understand that it's supposed to be a Limited Edition ink to go with the $25,000 pen but how would MB ascertain I was indeed an owner? Would I have to produce a card of some sort or would they take it on my word? It's not like I'm some bum that tumbled into their boutique - I'm a known customer. I have several MB FPs, rollerballs and lots of leather goodies as well as one of their watches (I got it as a gift). The underlying thought that runs through my mind is How many of these $25,000 pens are actually going to be inked and used?!? I know this is a topic that should probably be in another forum, but here it is. It's as if MB is trying to say I'm not a good enough customer to buy a $30 pot of ink.

- OPG4711

I understand that it's supposed to be a Limited Edition ink to go with the $25,000 pen but how would MB ascertain I was indeed an owner? Would I have to produce a card of some sort or would they take it on my word? It's not like I'm some bum that tumbled into their boutique - I'm a known customer. I have several MB FPs, rollerballs and lots of leather goodies as well as one of their watches (I got it as a gift). The underlying thought that runs through my mind is How many of these $25,000 pens are actually going to be inked and used?!? I know this is a topic that should probably be in another forum, but here it is. It's as if MB is trying to say I'm not a good enough customer to buy a $30 pot of ink.

Presumably the salesperson would remember if they got the commission for a $25k pen from you. All I can do is point back to the phrase "artificial scarcity". MB wouldn't be the company that it is if they weren't in the business of selling exclusivity as a feature, so this shouldn't really come as a surprise when you walk through the door.

• 4 months later...

I added a bit of diamine Monaco red to help with readability not intentionally but I had some in a pen that didn't get rinsed out well enough. When I was filling I could see the bottle of ink changing color

Is there some way left to buy this ink or are the chances over ?

I think your best chances are to post a wanted to buy in the forum section here. A number of us were able to snag a number of bottles, hoping they might accidentally include the LE pen with the ink.

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...