Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi (saffron) Ink Review

kushbaby

I picked this ink up at my local MB boutique today (purchase of the Ghandi pen was not required). The ink comes in a white box with orange print/lettering, and is labeled "Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi ink." The bottle is the standard 50ml "shoe" bottle, with a white label reading "Montblanc Mahatma Gandhi ink." Nowhere on the box or bottle is the ink marked or labeled "saffron" (except on the store's inventory form). Expiration date is August, 2014.

I love this ink. It is a happy, rich, true orange with little to no red or brown. It has nice shading. It is a wet, easily flowing ink, and behaves very well in both a MB 149 Bb and a Pelikan M205 clear demo with an EF steel nib. It makes me think of carrots and butter. :D

Drying time is slow, but once it's dry (a minute or so), it doesn't smear. It's definitely not water resistant - you could call it a "washable orange".

Closest things I have currently in pens are Diamine Blaze Orange and Iroshizuku Yu yake. It is close to Blaze Orange, but less red - more of a pure "true orange". I'd say it's a pretty good match for Rhodia orange. It doesn't have the slight brownish hint that Yu yake has. Comparing to some written samples I have of Herbin Orange Indien, MB Saffron is less brown than that ink as well.

I tried to scan a written review, but it came out much more red than it really looks. I will try to upload or link it anyway, though (if it doesn't upload, I'll try to add a link to the written review). Perhaps someone more skilled than I will be able to scan or photograph this ink better than I can. Meanwhile, think "carrots and butter"...

I love this ink - it's a new favorite (I love orange inks!!!). It seems that this ink may be limited in production, so get it while you can!!!

Edit: I took a photograph of the review that showed the color more accurately, so I replaced the "red" scan with the photo.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/kushbaby_pics/MBSaffroninkphoto.jpg

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kushbaby

• SamCapote

• vieuxcarre

• OPG4711

Looks more like carrot ink than saffron.

Maybe that's why they just called it "Mahatma Gandhi ink" on the bottle. :D

Kushbaby (trying to figure out why Dierdre's avatar just disappeared...)

Kushbaby

Edited to replace scan (too red) with photo.

Kushbaby

Thank you for this post. I am so curious about this ink, and I am glad to see an example on paper.

It looks a lot like Herbin Orange Indien to me, but I have little sense of color. I love Orange Indien, and this ink looks like one I will try. I was actually expecting it to have a much more brown cast, perhaps even more yellow, but the color you demonstrate is lovely.

I like this ink! Thanks for your review - I'll have to try out an orange. I've had orange crush before, but something brighter like this should do nicely.

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

On my phone, it looked like a different color entirely, maybe it was the room lighting. Still, it's more orange than saffron, but it is a nice color.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I'm sort of nuts about orange inks, so I like all sorts of oranges, and I like this a LOT.

That being said, it is *quite* close to Diamine Blaze Orange and Herbin Orange Indien. And those two are well behaved like this is. Soooo... I would say, if you think it's pretty and want the novelty of getting the Gandhi ink, or if you're as nuts about subtly different shades of orange ink as I am, or if you only want to use MB ink in your MB pens and are missing having an orange option, then by all means, give it a try, it's a great ink. But, I don't think this is quite something that should induce wailing and gnashing of teeth if you really can't get it - there are some very close non-limited inks out there.

That being said, I like this one the best and have several bottles now. :D

BTW, I forgot to mention. This ink was $13 a bottle (vs. $12 for the regular ones).

Kushbaby

Thanks for the review! Great color, nicely accented with the Rhodia pad.

I have a bottle on the way to me this week. I'll have it in time to use it for Halloween. The ink in the bottle was described to me as looking like "orange Kool-Aid".

Kind regards,

vieuxcarre

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

------------------------------

(snip)

It looks a lot like Herbin Orange Indien to me, but I have little sense of color. I love Orange Indien, and this ink looks like one I will try. I was actually expecting it to have a much more brown cast, perhaps even more yellow, but the color you demonstrate is lovely.

I held one of my Rhodia pads next to a sample of Orange Indien and I would say they are a match.

if A == B and B == C, A == C QED :lol:

Judd Rogers Lamy Safari M Cursive Italic, 1.1 mm stub Pelikan 200 B Pelikan Go Rotring Initial M and B Waterman 32 Unknown Franken Pen

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was delivered the other day. This is a great ink. The color in the picture (at least as it appears on my monitor) is spot on.

I did note that, on my box, on the back it does say "Saffron".

I look forward to the reactions that I get with this ink come Halloween!

Kind regards,

vieuxcarre

Where can one purchase this ink online?

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Mine was delivered the other day. This is a great ink. The color in the picture (at least as it appears on my monitor) is spot on.

I did note that, on my box, on the back it does say "Saffron".

I look forward to the reactions that I get with this ink come Halloween!

Just checked - my bad, mine says "saffron" too - I just lost it in all the other small print.

Mea Culpa...

(Still loving this ink!)

:D

Kushbaby

Where can one purchase this ink online?

I've not seen it on-line anywhere. It is not available at Montblanc's refills site. I would recommend visiting a boutique or, if you're not near one as I am not, call one up and order the ink. A listing of boutiques can be found at Montblanc's Boutique Directory.

Kind regards,

vieuxcarre

• 1 month later...